shape
carat
color
clarity

Strange question?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

raini

Rough_Rock
I received a beautiful 3 stone diamond ring for Christmas from my husband. Today I took my son bowling and they had blacklights and music on and one of my stones turned white and cloudy looking in that lighting. In regular light they look identical. It was really strange. Since I don't know much about diamonds I was hoping someone could tell me what that means and if I should try to return it.I know it was bought at Zales. Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Raini

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Raini, that particular diamond has fluorescent properties and was reacting to the longwave ultraviolet in the blacklight. It literally "glowed".

It's nothing to freak out about, and is actually kind of cool. A unique characteristic of that particular diamond. Approximately 30-40% of all diamonds fluoresce to one degree or another.

Sometimes a very, very strong "overblue" fluorescence might have an adverse affect on the daylight appearance of the diamond (making it look "oily"), but this is very unusual to run across.

By the way, if you do a search for "fluorescence" on this site, you'll come up with plenty of info.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Raini,

I've taken some pictures of that phenomena. Your stone, as Rich has stated definetely has fluorescence. I have some before and after shots for ya which I'll attach here. If you'd like to read more about this I've written an article you can read on the subject here which answers alot of questions about fluorescence and it's effect on diamond appearance and value. http://www.goodoldgold.com/fluorescence.htm

Hope that helps.

Jonathan

PS... this first pic is a before shot. The next pic will be an after shot taken under shortwave ultra violet light.

fluor01.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's the other.

Bottom line ... if you're in that bowling alley alot and you are not pleased with what you see, ask them to replace THAT STONE. If they want to keep you as a client I'm sure they will oblige. ;-)

Peace,
Rhino

fluor02.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Shortwave my friend.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I was just curious why you're using shortwave, when longwave is what is used on the grading reports.

Are you wearing goggles when you use the shortwave?

raini

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate the help. Now that I know the name I will learn more about it and decide is I want them to exchange it. I am not in a blacklight setting often so it may never happen again, but it made the ring look loke a piece of junk when it was noticed and I know hubby paid a lot of $$$$ for it. thanks again. Raini

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Richard,
----------------
I don't know why those smiley faces pop up sometimes. I wasn't meaning to wink at you, but maybe the gods intended it.
---------------- if there are ';' and ')' or ':' and ')' or '8' and ')' it'll be shown as ;)) or :)) or 8)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results