shape
carat
color
clarity

Storm''s thread on beans got me thinking.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
So what was the one food you had to eat as a kid and hated.. For me it was Beets... Mom forced them down me. Only once because I threw them up.

Were you guys creative in hiding the veggies you didn''t want to eat?? Did you feed them to your dog? Hide them in a napkin?

Or throw them behind an appliance while your Mom wasn''t looking?
25.gif

Part two is, if you had to gag them down, did you drown them with ketchup, or other condiments?? Maybe some of the UK ladies have some stories?? Marmalite???

So tell us your funny stories growing up, what you did to get beyond your Mom''s radar, etc....

Was a clean plate always the norm??

Also did you all eat together as a family?

To me having dinner together is soooo important. I know some schedules don''t allow it, but we made it a priority in our house. If the phone rang it would go to voicemail. For us it was our time to catch up with the kids, that was key to knowing what was going on with them. They are grown now, 21 and 19. But when they are here, yes we all sit down together, and have a great time...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think my mom ever made anything I hated, actually! I always loved everything she made, including veggies. We did not have to clean our plates, but I don''t think we ever really took tons of food to begin with.

My family ate dinner together every night when I was growing up, and I''ll do the same thing if I ever have kids. My mom is an awesome cook and she always seems to make stuff everyone loves...that part I''ll have to work on because I don''t cook!
3.gif

I still remember coming home from soccer or field hockey just starving and getting to eat a delicious dinner. I always tell my mom she can live with me now and I won''t even charge her rent-she just has to cook me dinner every night!
3.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Tuna Noodle Casserole
14.gif

Just plain nasty
14.gif
14.gif

I think I used to hide it in my napkin and feed it to the dog.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Not mom, but whenever we stayed at Grandma''s--beets and cottage cheese (not in one dish, but she seemed to have cottage cheese at EVERY meal). And in grandma''s kitchen you''d better eat everything on your plate!!!!! I don''t remember what I did with them, probably repressed the memories.
9.gif
Actually, if she wasn''t watching some of it made it onto Grandpa''s plate when he took pity, some on my brother''s (don''t ask me why he likes beets) and if she was watching, I choked down the rest.

The crazy part is that Grandma was only about 5'' tall and maybe 95lbs, but a drill sergeant had nothing on her ability to get someone to toe the line!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Beets for me, too! If I remember correctly, my mom had cooked a meal for a date one night and practically forced me to eat a serving of beets. I warned her that they made me feel sick, but she didn't listen. So I got sick...all over the dinner table. It was a nightmare- and purple. I haven't touched a beet since.

My parents divorced when I was young, and they both worked a lot, so there were very few family meals around a dinner table. It's going to be important to me to have family dinner time with my husband and child(ren), though. DH had family meals and remembers them fondly.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We always had dinner together. My mom never made us eat anything, or clean our plates. It was hassle free, although my brother and sister fought just about every night.

My maternal grandmother was another story. Every time we visited it would be creamed salmon and peas on toast. Yuck! I still like salmon and peas separately, but would never ever attempt that dish ever again!!!
14.gif

My paternal grandmother was the most awesome cook ever. Everything was fresh from the garden, and soups were her specialty (and now mine). She made the best wild rice casserole. My grandfather used to smoke sturgeon every year for holidays too. No wonder I grew up loving food!

Sorry, no horror stories about food from me. My kids are different. Less adventurous, and one lives on meat alone as far as I can tell. Always has, always will. For her, potato might be considered her only vegetable, but even then it''s iffy. The other is one of those texture fanatics (like my brother and BIL!). I give up, since they are both over 18.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
clean plate rule but if we didn''t like something we didn''t have to take it.

Bout the only thing I wouldn''t eat was pea or bean soup and pork and beans.
My dad was a meat and potatoes type so the meals were never that out there.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
We didn''t really eat together at all. I absolutely despise roast beef so I used to go upstairs to my room and throw it out the window to the dogs. As our kitchen is in the back of the house, I had to be careful which direction to throw it otherwise my mam would have seen. I wasn''t too fussy about anything else. My biggest fear is tomato ketchup so that wasn''t put anywhere near my dinner-still can''t even touch a bottle of it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Marmite is extremely useful for enabling one to gag down a revolting foodstuff! But I couldn't use my beloved Marmite in this case though...

I have a story of when I was at school, we had older children acting as servers at the tables. This school's food was pretty grim anyway but one memorable day we had ' strawberry pie' for pudding. This was the most revolting combination of frozen or canned foul, discoloured, soggy, slimy * shudder*, sour strawberries, pastry with the texture of shoe leather and disgusting artificial ' bakers cream' to top it all off with.

I could not eat it so one of the server bullies tried to force it down me, I retaliated by washing it down with copious water and then brought it all back all over the dinner table.
16.gif

Strawberries should never be frozen or canned in my opinion.
emotion-41.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brussel sprouts.
emotion-41.gif

I could not stand them! Of course, we had a "clean plate rule" in our house, and I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I ate everything on my plate (which was put there by my Mom and usually at the prompting of my evil stepfather, so it's not like I picked what went on my plate). To force those brussel sprouts down, I usually coated them in butter. LOTS of butter. And I tried to chew them as little as possible so I wouldn't have to deal with the horrible taste for too long.
14.gif

Another food that I couldn't stand was au gratin potatos (the instant kind from a box). My Mom made them one night for dinner, and she made me eat them even though I couldn't stand them. I was on maybe the second bite, and I couldn't help it ~ I just started to gag! She jumps up and yells, "DON'T YOU DARE THROW UP!!!" So I didn't! I guess I managed to keep them down just out of sheer terror . . . the woman is five feet and two inches of pure fury when she gets pissed off, and you DO NOT want to mess with her! She gave me "The Look" and it stopped my gag reflex in it's tracks. But, I think she was truly afraid I was going to throw up, and she never made me eat au gratin potatos again!
16.gif

As far as family meals are concerned: we didn't really have them. My Mom and her ex-husband and I would all sit down together to eat dinner almost every night, mainly because he insisted on it. But I wouldn't call it a "family dinner" . . . it was never anywhere near that pleasant. He was a very horrible person, and I think the main reason he insisted on us all eating dinner together was because it gave him another opportunity to be an a**hole.
38.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Lima beans.......
14.gif
She made me sit at the table until I had eaten two bites. Sometimes I would sit there for hours!

It''s so funny, but my younger siblings seem to have been raised by a different set of parents. This absolutely never happened to them!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2009 11:25:01 PM
Author:Kaleigh
So what was the one food you had to eat as a kid and hated.. For me it was Beets... Mom forced them down me. Only once because I threw them up.

Were you guys creative in hiding the veggies you didn't want to eat?? Did you feed them to your dog? Hide them in a napkin?

Or throw them behind an appliance while your Mom wasn't looking?
25.gif

Part two is, if you had to gag them down, did you drown them with ketchup, or other condiments?? Maybe some of the UK ladies have some stories?? Marmalite???

So tell us your funny stories growing up, what you did to get beyond your Mom's radar, etc....

Was a clean plate always the norm??

Also did you all eat together as a family?

To me having dinner together is soooo important. I know some schedules don't allow it, but we made it a priority in our house. If the phone rang it would go to voicemail. For us it was our time to catch up with the kids, that was key to knowing what was going on with them. They are grown now, 21 and 19. But when they are here, yes we all sit down together, and have a great time...
Whistle2.gif
9.gif

Well let's see, there's more than one....

Broccoli (though I love it now)

Asparagus (love it now too)

Brussel sprouts (still hate them) And Irish, yes, as little chewing as possible!

Beets (I likle pickled ok)

Steamed celery (
blankstare012.gif
)

Squash (I like it alright now)

Peas (like them in salads, not alone)

Succotash, a mixture of corn and lima beans. "Succo" is right. (I like both of them now, not together)

OKRA

Tongue
emotion-41.gif

Liver, plain
emotion-41.gif
I'll eat it now if it has a mushroom gravy on it.
18.gif

There's more, but you get the picture. Yes, I threw things behind the freezer, fed them to the dog, put them in my napkin, and tried to shove them under the mashed potatoes. Never got away with that last one. And the only thing I ever had to help get them down was milk.

We always ate at the table as a family, and I did with my family too. Doesn't happen every night now, but I felt it was important.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, I gotta ask. What happened to all that food behind the freezer? I''m picturing your mom freaking out at the moldy mess she had to clean up when the freezer was finally moved.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Aaarghh!

I just had a flashback to a standoff between my grandmother (Mom''s mom) and me over . . . creamed spinach.

I won.
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 8:52:37 AM
Author: jet2ks
Ellen, I gotta ask. What happened to all that food behind the freezer? I''m picturing your mom freaking out at the moldy mess she had to clean up when the freezer was finally moved.
Ya know, it''s the funniest thing. When we went to move from that house, I was petrified of what we would find. I was actually scared, and I was 17! (a testament to my mothers temper I guess) Anywho, they rolled the freezer out, and, nothing but dust bunnies!
9.gif
This was me ---->
runaround1.gif

I am not sure what actually happened to the food....Mice perhaps?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering that too....Maybe it was meeses et it all up.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 9:30:57 AM
Author: Lorelei

I fink mebe so....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2009 9:46:09 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 5/25/2009 9:30:57 AM

I fink mebe so....
Musta been otherwise there would have been one heck of a disgusting mouldy stinky mess back there!
emotion-41.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
Oh boy.... it wasn't just one thing that Mom made me eat. I can think of at least three!

When I was about 7, she made me eat brussel sprouts, which i loathed. I remember throwing them behind the sofa.

She made me eat beets all the time growing up. I hate them to this day. I used to hide them in napkins and once she caught on to that, I'd cut them up pill size and swallow them with milk. I think I'm scarred when it comes to beets.

Okra. Hate.Okra. Hate it any way, shape or form. I think after forcing it down once or twice, she never made me do it again. I remember trying to hide it under anything else on my plate. Did I mention i hate okra?

We didn't necessarily have to clean our plates, but we did have to eat most of everything. And we ALWAYS ate together as a family. That was Mom's one thing and I appreciate it to this day.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 9:47:43 AM

Musta been otherwise there would have been one heck of a disgusting mouldy stinky mess back there!
emotion-41.gif
Actually they would have just been dried up little petrified rocks. There were many years between the last throw and when we moved out. She had stopped forcing me to eat everything under the sun long before we moved.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2009 10:00:38 AM

Date: 5/25/2009 9:47:43 AM

emotion-41.gif
Actually they would have just been dried up little petrified rocks. There were many years between the last throw and when we moved out. She had stopped forcing me to eat everything under the sun long before we moved.
Good point Batman!

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Well you are all lucky, I like most of what you have described as revolting (just call me strange). I had to eat beef and kidney stew. I would cut the kidney into little tiny pill sized pieces and swallow it whole as there was no choice about eating it
14.gif
. She used to make stuffed beef heart that was marginally better but still gross. I will never like any of these foods
38.gif
. I did however learn to like liver and onions.

Itgirl76

Shiny_Rock
So what was the one food you had to eat as a kid and hated.. I hated too many foods just to name one....Beets, eggplant, cabbage, cauiflower... which is odd because I don''t eat meat anymore but I still hate all of the above veggies.

Part two is, if you had to gag them down, did you drown them with ketchup, or other condiments?? I just refused to eat them....that never worked out in my favour.

Was a clean plate always the norm? Yes that is why I was a hefty kid growing up.

Also did you all eat together as a family? Yes we did because my mother felt it would bring about this togetherness. We at as a family everyday until I left for college. That did not work out so well as my mother and I have not spoken for over a year...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steak and pork chops.
14.gif
My parents always made some sort of meat with a side dish and salad. I hated salad because I hated dressing, so they use to make me a little salad without dressing. They always told me to take a few bites of my meat.

Now I like steak but only have it once a month or every 2 months. I do NOT like pork chops, the other white meat.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 11:22:06 AM
Author: Skippy123
Steak and pork chops.
14.gif
My parents always made some sort of meat with a side dish and salad. I hated salad because I hated dressing, so they use to make me a little salad without dressing. They always told me to take a few bites of my meat.

Now I like steak but only have it once a month or every 2 months. I do NOT like pork chops, the other white meat.
6.gif
Those are two of my favorites!! Do you like other cuts of pork?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 11:27:53 AM

Date: 5/25/2009 11:22:06 AM
Steak and pork chops.
14.gif

6.gif
Those are two of my favorites!! Do you like other cuts of pork?
ops, I did like prime rib but that was only when we went out to eat, otherwise I would pass. I did like bacon.
9.gif
lol Ellen, I guess I was a weird kid; I was actually insanely picky! My parents are shocked I eat so many different things now.

I do like steak now but don't eat it as often. hehe

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 11:54:11 AM

ops, I did like prime rib but that was only when we went out to eat, otherwise I would pass. I did like bacon.
9.gif
lol Ellen, I guess I was a weird kid; I was actually insanely picky! My parents are shocked I eat so many different things now.

I do like steak now but don't eat it as often. hehe
Ok, you like bacon. Good, we can still be friends.
9.gif
2.gif
I LOVE prime rib.
18.gif

And my guys can be picky, especially my youngest. He's not a huge meat eater, he'd much rather have noodly dishes.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 12:00:11 PM

Date: 5/25/2009 11:54:11 AM

9.gif

I do like steak now but don''t eat it as often. hehe
9.gif
2.gif
I LOVE prime rib.
18.gif

And my guys can be picky, especially my youngest. He''s not a huge meat eater, he''d much rather have noodly dishes.
9.gif
lol.gif

Oh I was just like your youngest!!! hehe

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 2:45:16 AM
Author: lyra

My maternal grandmother was another story. Every time we visited it would be creamed salmon and peas on toast. Yuck! I still like salmon and peas separately, but would never ever attempt that dish ever again!!!
14.gif
Oh the memories...

OMG that one is mine too! Except, it was creamed salmon and peas on MASHED POTATOES!
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

The other one that makes me gag is brown beans: we had them EVERY night when there was a meal without gravy OR creamed salmon on the mashed potatoes. Apparently my father required a ''topping'' of some sort on his potatoes. I was forced to eat them. Now I GAG GAG GAG on anything with that consistency: beans, peas, lima beans, etc.

I am also incapable to eating eggs with whites in them anywhere. I can eat scrambled but they have to be mixed in a blender with no trace of egg white...that ole'' consistency problem again.

And lastly (but the more I think about it, the more food ''issues'' I seem to have) is powdered milk. We were dirt poor, and 7 kids needed their milk. So my Mom would mix up powdered and sometimes mix in some whole milk with it. But the LUMPS at the bottom...gag gag gag gag

MUST SAY, HOWEVER, I''LL EAT ALL OF YOUR BEETS ANY TIME!! LOVE ''em

LS

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 12:16:26 PM

Date: 5/25/2009 12:00:11 PM

9.gif
2.gif
I LOVE prime rib.
18.gif

And my guys can be picky, especially my youngest. He''s not a huge meat eater, he''d much rather have noodly dishes.
9.gif
lol.gif

Oh I was just like your youngest!!! hehe
9.gif

He''d live on my lasagna and sour cream noodle bake if I let him.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results