shape
carat
color
clarity

Storms in the South

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I don't know how many have heard, but last night a large storm system hit the south, destroying several cities, and leaving many killed. Over 200 have been reported dead. Homes have been destroyed. The system is still working through. The northern end of it is in the Carolinas and Virginia. The southern end is about to hit us here in FL. I think we should keep everyone in the area in our thoughts during this devastation. Apparently Alabama was hit by an F5 tornado Editing to say that the 170-300 miles was for the outbreak of tornadoes I believe... not just the one, my news source was a bit skewed. I hope I never have to see one of those in person.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
My good friend's brother was in Tuscaloosa and had the tornado rip the roof and walls off of his house while he was barracading himself in the bathroom. He lost just about everything. His neighbours only have a floor left, and another neighbour was killed. Thank God he's safe, and the rest of their family, but I feel horrible for everybody that had to go through that. It's a week and a half before graduation at Bama and I can't imagine what it's going to be like now.

The part of the storm that hit NC last night/this morning wasn't *too* bad, but it did keep me up for about half an hour this morning - the thunder was pretty loud and the lightning lit up my room with every strike.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'm in Atlanta and we dodged a bullet. The storm came at us diagonally if that makes sense and hit north near the Tennessee border and south. Those counties got slammed but metro Atlanta got a few thunderstorms and that's it. I was quite relieved. The building we live in has concrete floors and ceilings and was hit by a tornado in '08. Didn't do much damage then thanks to how solid this place is but I don't want to see another one hit it!

My dad is in Chattanooga, very near Ringold, GA, which was hit hard. He said they have no power and might now for several days yet.

Yesterday was a scary day indeed!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
My aunt's house South of Atlanta was completely destroyed ;(

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I'm on the Northwest side of Atlanta and we were very lucky. We just got a small thunderstorm which we are extremely grateful for as we still haven't cleaned up all the damage from the last storm.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm in a suburb of Atlanta, and we had a lot of thunder/lightening and some rain, but nothing too bad (thank goodness).

FLSteph, I'm sorry to hear about your aunt's house and hope that she can re-build (literally and emotionally) soon.

April, I grew up in Chattanooga and have a bunch of friends there. They were definitely hit hard. Glad that your Dad is safe and hope that he gets power back soon.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
A friend of ours brother and SIL live in AL. He was killed and they still can't find the SIL. My friend received a text from them last night saying "it's getting really bad, we're heading to the bathroom.' The tornado just flattened everything in their town. It's so very sad ;(

I hope and pray all affected can recover quickly!!

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
mrssalvo|1304022145|2907263 said:
A friend of ours brother and SIL live in AL. He was killed and they still can't find the SIL. My friend received a text from them last night saying "it's getting really bad, we're heading to the bathroom.' The tornado just flattened everything in their town. It's so very sad ;(

I hope and pray all affected can recover quickly!!

Oh, I am so sorry for your friend. Were they in Tuscaloosa? That is so sad. I have a lot of friends and family in AL, but thankfully everyone is OK as they weren't in the hardest hit areas. I also have a lot of friends and family in the Chattanooga area that had tornadoes, but I have received word from most and all are fine but do have some property damage. It has been such a turbulent spring for us.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear that Mrs. S. So so sad.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just awful, my prayers going out to everyone effected :((

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thoughts to everyone who has somebody involved with those storms. As Princess said, here in NC we didn't get it too bad this time -- the last 2 storms before this were real spooky. My dog decided at 3:45 this morning that he HAD TO GO OUT NOW -- I opened the door just as a long streak of lightning skimmed the length of the driveway about 6" off the ground. Weird & scary. Dog took one look & changed his mind about that pee. Coulda strangled him; by then I was wide awake.

Hope all the southern loved ones come through okay; dust to you all.

--- Laurie

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw the news coverage, and I have to say it scares the heck out of me. I am so sorry for all the people are going through. Those are
some fierce storms that are hitting.

So sad and scary. Many prayers for those affected.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry that you guys are dealing with our weather. Sadly, where these storms are happening, most of the locations' residents don't have the lifetime experience and expectation that it will happen, or the specialized meteorologists and systems in place for it, resulting in such a high death toll, which is truly staggering.

Here's hoping that you guys catch a break soon. As an Oklahoman, my heart goes out to all of you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so sad!!! ;( I am so sorry for those who knew people who lost loved ones or homes.

Gosh, my brother is in Chattanooga and I didn't even know it was bad there! I will have to text him! We have good friends there, too.

This spring has had the most dangerous storms I have seen in my lifetime...which is pretty long.

April20

Ideal_Rock
My dad texted back today and said that they've taken the RV to the lake and they're living there until the power comes back at the house. I guess they've found their own alternate accomodations for now.

MrsS.... sorry to hear about your friend's loss.... The storms have been so devastating.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. It's all just heartbreaking to me. Makes me want to buy one of those safe rooms or something, although the last 2 tornado warnings we've had I haven't been at home, so it wouldn't do me much good.

turtledazzle, in all the years I've lived here I've never seen anything like this. One severe storm after another, week after week. It's just scary!! Not to mention all the flooding, which we certainly don't need any more of!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Mrss- I'm so sorry!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bad news, very sorry to hear (I heard it via internet news first) about the devastation. Stay safe, DF.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Reading about the storms is bringing back memories of May 3rd, 1999, when an F5 (and many others) tore through the Oklahoma City metro area and took houses down to the foundations, and even scoured the grass off the ground. I can feel the semi-panic welling back up just thinking about it. There is truly nothing more terrifying on this earth, than an F5 tornado. Even in a state like Oklahoma, where we're almost inured to tornadoes, an F5 is pretty rare, and is everyone's worst nightmare.

I'm dreadfully sorry that so many are dealing with this.

ETA - just found this. Wow. An interactive graphic is worth a thousand words...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42799130/ns/weather/

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i fear tornados...and hurricanes...more than i do our earthquakes.

please stay safe...or as safe as you can under the circumstances.

MoZo

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
mrssalvo|1304044066|2907637 said:
Thanks everyone. It's all just heartbreaking to me. Makes me want to buy one of those safe rooms or something, although the last 2 tornado warnings we've had I haven't been at home, so it wouldn't do me much good.

turtledazzle, in all the years I've lived here I've never seen anything like this. One severe storm after another, week after week. It's just scary!! Not to mention all the flooding, which we certainly don't need any more of!

I know. I've been a resident of the state for all of my life except when I moved away for college, and I don't remember it ever being this bad. We've gone to the basement at work 3-4 times in the past month because of weather. And I absolutely agree about the flooding -- we're approaching the 1-year anniversary of the flood and all of these storms and the rain are making everyone even more nervous!

I have learned that some of the deaths in the Chattanooga area occurred about 2-3 miles from the house I grew up in. Apparently a sign from a street very near my childhood house ended up in Knoxville -- about 80 miles away!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm late to post, but I've been praying for all those affected. It's so hard to hear these people who lost loved ones.

Mrs. Salvo...my heart goes out to you and your friends.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
My best friend and MOH grew up in Tuscaloosa. She was there visiting her family there last weekend for Easter (fortunately her family and their home was unscathed...her parents had somehow been at dinner and DID NOT KNOW there were tornadoes!), but the restaurant they ate in Tuesday for lunch was gone by Wednesday. We were in Vegas this weekend for my bachelorette party, and being out celebrating while there is so much devastation in her hometown was a very very unnerving experience.

But she did manage to plan a benefit from her iPhone while in Vegas...she's kind of magic.

My thoughts are with everyone dealing with the aftermath of this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results