shape
carat
color
clarity

Store "rankings" question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MsGolightly

Rough_Rock
As far as mark-up and "status" go, can somebody put these following stores/brands/styles in order from lowest to hightest status?

Tiffany & Co., Harry Winston, Cartier, Bailey Banks & Biddle, Scott Kay, Blue Nile, Mall Stores (Weisfield, Fred Meyer Jewlers, Ben Bridge), Costco, Wal Mart, Target

just curious
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------
As far as mark-up and "status" go, can somebody put these following stores/brands/styles in order from lowest to hightest status?

Tiffany & Co., Harry Winston, Cartier, Bailey Banks & Biddle, Scott Kay, Blue Nile, Mall Stores (Weisfield, Fred Meyer Jewlers, Ben Bridge), Costco, Wal Mart, Target
----------------

Okay, just for fun and with the caveat that this is purely subjective. Also, I have no idea of mark-up, so I'm going by my perception of status alone:

Harry Winston, Cartier, Tiffany & Co., Bailey Banks & Biddle (even though I know they're owned by Kay, they still sound nicer), Blue Nile, Mall Stores, Target, Wal Mart, Costco (though, IMO, if you get your ring at Target, Wal-Mart, or Costco, there's not all that much of a status difference).

I didn't know Scott Kay had stores. I thought they were a manufacturer, so I set them aside.

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
I can't really say anything about the rest of these, but I'd put Costco over Walmart (even with your caveat). You're right, but in general I definitely think that Costco ranks above Walmart. Just my opinion...
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boulder's response looks almost spot-on, except I would put Costco after BlueNile or maybe even before. The reason being is that there was a thread on here not too far back where there was a discussion on Costco stones and that they actually can be of very good quality...even carrying some H&A type stones for great pricing.

I went onto their website and ran a few numbers a while back and some of the ones with the additional information got pretty good marks on the HCA as well. So they definitely rank above a mall store, a Target (does Target even sell diamonds?) and a Walmart in my opinion and depending on which stone you are looking at, possibly even above a BlueNile stone.

I agree with HW, Cartier, then Tiff & that BBB's brand is strong enough in the retail world to carry a powerful presence.

2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/6/2003 4
6.gif
3:30 AM MsGolightly wrote:

just curious
1.gif

----------------

Harry Winston & Van Clef's are in their own catagory. None of the rest of the list comes even close to their prestige, cache, quality, exclusitivity, etc. Their mark-up is what *they* can charge.

Cartier is the next tier. While quality, their leather goods are so incredibly overpriced -unless you can find a leather valise at an estate sale for $20.00 :) I do own a Cartier watch that was purchased at Cartier. Their watches hold some value.

Tiffany & Co, Bailey, Banks & Biddle (w/ H. Stern in here) Shreve, Crump & Low also next tier - Sadly, these (and Cartier) are not the same as in their hey day.

The rest really don't have relevance as far as status. But - Walmart & Target would have negative status & quality.

Costco is trying to improve their quality. If you go to their website, they are offering GIA graded premium stones. I would have no status good or bad attached to Costco. Consistently, their quality/price are in line.

Also, locality dictates the status of a store. For example, one may have a locally owned place where everyone registers, etc. & might be *the* place to purchase an engagement ring.

My first choice to purchase any item would be the place that provides the best quality at the best price w/ the best service. At this point in my life, status of store means nothing (to me) & does not guarantee any of my priorities.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
True that Costco may have better diamonds, but in terms of prestige, I still think the big warehouse has to rank lower than the Target-like store.
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/6/2003 2:27:59 PM Hest88 wrote:

True that Costco may have better diamonds, but in terms of prestige, I still think the big warehouse has to rank lower than the Target-like store.
9.gif

----------------

Curious, do you all have Costco's out west? I love costco. I put them in higher regard as they carry some "premium" brands like Waterford, Tag watches, etc. While I have imposed a self ban on "carting" at the Target, their quality can be mixed. That has not stopped me from owning nearly all practical (& o.k.- not so practical) Michael Graves designs.

Which brings up my point. For me, design is placed above all. That is why I am sympathetic to giftgoddess & her Tiffany ring design desire. All that said, that would be the only reason I would purchase something I felt "over-priced". That is why we own Alessi items as well as Target items.

MsGolightly

Rough_Rock
I have family members who work in the corporate office of Costco and have purchased their engagement rings from the warehouse. They are actually of pretty good quality.

I have never heard of a "Scott Kay" store...but as a designer, I was just sort of wondering where he fits in. The reason is because I have seen Scott Kay knockoffs...which surprised me.

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
I've been a big fan of Costco (for non-diamond purchases
1.gif
) since they opened up a store in my hometown. I've been to Costco's in Alaska and Colorado, but my understanding is that they're all over the western part of the U.S.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Costco is somewhat like an Overstock.Com in my mind..they have some great brand name stuff at low prices, great for electronics, etc. Much better 'quality' than Target items...I love Target but I don't feel their stuff is of the greatest quality (e.g. bought a shirt there last year, washed it and it fell apart), so would still definitely put Costco over a Walmart or Target in terms of brand quality.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
In the Detroit area, there's a Kay's Jeweller and a poster in this forum said as far as she knows, there's no relation bet. Scott Kay and Kay's Jeweller. Kay's Jeweller is kinda shabby looking though they are opposite BB&B in one of the mall.

Costco is great. I find their Kirkland cookware superior to Caphalon which IMO makes pretty lousy cookware for around $300-$400 price range. Caphalon do have higher price cookware set but I was looking for something around $300-$400.

Not only Waterford and Tag, but they have Cartier, Omega, Hamilton, Bvalgari, Movado watches as well and a few other *upscale* brands I'm not familiar with. Also Mont Blanc pens, Swarovski, Lalique, Baccarat collectibles and figurines as well. All of these are usually 30%-40% (or more) less.

Also, all the wine selection and liqour in *biggie* sizes.

And the tiger shrimp for $9.99/lb (not the frozen ones).

Also, the best croissant I've ever had is found at Costco.

Where else can you get a 9" hotdog or polish sausage with a soft drink (re-fillable too!) for $1.50?

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
Actually, David Andrew, the wine buyer for Costco, is world renowned.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results