shape
carat
color
clarity

Storage Sheds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Anyone have any advice or tips about storage sheds? We need one to store bikes, lawn mower, other gardening stuff and other big toys.
Thanks

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cement floor is worth the extra money if you live in a wet area.
Buying a kit and building it is the cheapest route often costing less than buying all the material seperate.
Use real shingles on the roof not tar paper.

Build one 2x bigger than you think you need you will fill it up.

Just some random thoughts :}

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Thanks alot! You''re absolutely right about the 2x business- you must know my hubby!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2004 6
6.gif
0:47 PM
Author: sevens one
Thanks alot! You''re absolutely right about the 2x business- you must know my hubby!

near universal law of garages and sheds Men will find a way to fill em with stuff.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
7-1

It really depends on your budget. They range from steel kits to custom designed mini houses. I built one a few years ago at our previous house. It was 7x14'' cedar siding with architectural shingles,windows, shutters and window boxes. Complete with power and coach lanterns on timers. I picked that size since anything over 100 sq feet needed a building permit. I bought a kit, but it only meant that I didn''t have to cut the siding and some 2x4s. I ended up changing it anyway.

A few tips:

I agree with storm, a poured cement floor is best. I always go for this when I can. If it''s not in the budget, try patio stones on crushed aggregate. Last resort is wooden floor (I don''t like these)

Think about maintenance. I had (would have had to) to stain mine ever 3 years.

Run power in an underground conduit to it if you can on a dedicated circuit. You can install GFI''s and lights. I also planned to use the shed to house the transformer for landscape lights, so power is handy

If you want a nice kit, don''t buy it from Home Depot. Find someone who makes them. You''ll find much better stuff and more options

Make sure the doors are wide, preferably double. The last thing you want is not to be able to fit stuff in there.

Have fun, and build it in the summer
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, don''t freak but our "storage shed" is 1200 square feet! lol This is why my husband wanted the house we bought. . .
20.gif
He got a huge building and I got ??? (he said a diamond, but now he''s denying this promise!).

One characteristic I''d recommend is getting one that''s insulated if you''re thinking you''d ever store nice things in this shed. You never know what you''ll be putting in there and it''s nice to keep your shed sort of pretty v. the yuckiness most get over time. Also a nice double door set up and shelves and compartments to put your tools and fertilizers and stuff in. Also, the electricity light tip is a good one. It sucks trying to dig around and find things when you can''t see and the flashlight is buried under all the junk you''re trying to wade through.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results