shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone & ring from 1 vendor vs different vendors? HELP!!!

scubaduderon

Rough_Rock
OK, so I'm settling in on a stone and ring, unfortunately they are from different vendors. What are the pros and cons are of buying a ring and stone from one vendor vs purchasing them separately? How is this even done?

Thank you,

Ron

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on who the vendors are. What did you end up choosing?

scubaduderon

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1468084000|4053608 said:
Depends on who the vendors are. What did you end up choosing?

Until I have this question answered I can't say. I'm still putting it together, but it seems that there is a great chance that the stone and ring will be from different vendors.

Thank you,

Ron

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, then my answer will be conditional on the final answer. But in the meanwhile, I can answer generally.

If the diamond seller has a good bench and will take an outside setting and set the stone in your ring (usually with a setting charge), that is the best case scenario. Vendors such as WF who do great prongs would be a good example of someone that this would work. However, I would try to buy a setting from them if at all possible.

If you are buying a diamond from somewhere like Blue Nile, then no, I would not even consider having them set the stone.

Say the setting was coming from a vendor who sells Vatche and they'd send the stone to Vatche to set, then you'd send the stone to them to have it set.

Disadvantages to doing this are extra shipping and setting charges. You also have to get insurance on the ring before it is completed and Jeweler's Mutual is the only place I know of that will do it. But there are times that this has to be done, and people do it all the time, especially when having rings custom made.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think vendors make more profit selling diamonds than setting them.
If you 'follow the money' that would explain why many won't set a stone they didn't sell, or discourage it by not insuring the stone for damage while they set it.

For a couple reputable vendors, it may also be about accepting responsibility for crappy stones over graded by crappy vendors.
A stone graded VS2 by EGL, that GIA would grade I2, may not withstand the stress it may experience during setting ... especially when it comes to things like feathers near the corners of a princess cut.

The 'pro' is you get the stone you want AND the setting you want when the stone seller does not have it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results