shape
carat
color
clarity

Sticker Shock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tessari

Shiny_Rock
We are choosing our venues and I am just in utter shock about the prices
6.gif
in my area! These rates come from 4 difft very popular venues--

Hors D''Oeuvres at $9 a piece, a bite!!!! ($9 for one piece of a california roll--this is insane, a whole 6-piece roll should be less than $9!!!)
Entrees at $150 per person
Photographers starting at $5000.
$40,000 minimum for food and beverage for 100 people + $10,000 reception fee

I am seriously thinking of eloping or doing a small family-only DW. Or maybe we (my FI, myself and my parents) need to readjust our tastes and expecations. A 6-figure wedding: is it ever worth it?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Wow, where do you live? (if you don't mind me asking) I'm north of NYC and there are plenty of places that expensive, but also plenty more reasonable places. Maybe you just need to adjust your expectations? I couldn't personally spend that much on my wedding day, but if the money was offered I probably wouldn't turn it down either
2.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome Tessari, welcome to my world. *sticker shock* I''ve been floored at the price of some places in and around nyc. Where are you located? Maybe someone here has found some more reasonable venues.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow, where are you located? We''re doing our wedding in NJ, about 20 minutes from NYC, and got a price of $132 per person including the open bar, and a 6 hour event!

tessari

Shiny_Rock
SF Bay Area...should have added that...
I think here and NYC are the only places that try to get away with this stuff and apparently they do bc I know people who have had their weddings at these types of places.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yup, and most places out here book over a year in advance. We just happened to get lucky that there was a Saturday daytime opening. Most likely a cancellation.

I was also told by a few venues that they are now doing a lot of Wednesday and Thursday night weddings, for those who don''t want to pay the Saturday night price or won''t have the minimum 150 guests.
20.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
WOWZA, sticker shock indeed!

Just remember, it is the marriage, that is the real celebration... the wedding is just a party to include your friends and family.

35.gif

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 3:19:03 PM
Author: tessari
I think here and NYC are the only places that try to get away with this stuff and apparently they do bc I know people who have had their weddings at these types of places.
Wow, I''m not sure where you''re choosing to get price quotes from but there are tons of cheaper alternatives in this area! I live here too and that''s insane for food and beverage for that many people. Insane!

teapot

Shiny_Rock
It is possible to have a wedding in the SF Bay Area that isn''t 6 figures. Where were you guys looking? Have you tried here comes the guide? Food will be very expensive, but you could get it for less than $150/head. I don''t want to scare you, but wedding cakes are really expensive in this area too, I would ask around for recommendations now. The cake I wanted was $7/person before any design aspects were included. I managed to find one that was $3/person, but it was no where near as tasty as my dream cake.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Holy moly that is crazy talk!!!! I can''t comprehend spending that much for one day, but each to their own. You have to do what you are comfortable with and what makes you happy!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 4:30:36 PM
Author: violet02
Date: 2/12/2009 3:19:03 PM

Author: tessari

Wow, I''m not sure where you''re choosing to get price quotes from but there are tons of cheaper alternatives in this area! I live here too and that''s insane for food and beverage for that many people. Insane!

Agreed. I got married in SF and you certainly don''t HAVE to pay that much at all. There are many cheaper alternatives if you want them.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I am also in the Bay Area and we are paying less than those prices for a very nice wedding in the Napa Valley.

With the exception of the photographer, we splurged for that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also in bay area and... honey you are looking at the wrong places. It REALLY is possible to have wonderful food, a beautiful venue, good alcohol and all the rest without paying nine dollars for each piece of shrimp.

We splurged on flowers and my makeup artist (real big splurge--1000 for the day-- I don't regret at all). You have to pick your priorities.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 4:39:46 PM
Author: honey22
Holy moly that is crazy talk!!!! I can''t comprehend spending that much for one day, but each to their own. You have to do what you are comfortable with and what makes you happy!!!

Ditto!

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
Well I''m in West Los angeles and it''s the same thing here - outrageously expensive. We just booked our place and basically bargained with the coordinator. They ended up lowering it by 30%.

Also, have you thought of doing it on a Sunday of a three day weekend. We are doing it MLK weekend since a lot of people have monday off.

booswim542

Shiny_Rock
I am in sticker shock in western North Carolina. I can''t imagine what prices must be in a big (awesome...) city! I bet the places you first thought of were the same places that every bride thinks of.

To get the deals, you might have to go off the beaten path - maybe even just a little! Keep looking and use the internet to search for every venue in your area that you can possibly see yourself at.

I bet you''re going to find a beautiful place that is not going to have a 6000% mark-up!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results