shape
carat
color
clarity

Step Aerobic Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone here do a lot of step aerobics? I''m looking for shoe recommendations. Right now I''m wearing New Balance 504s and they need to be replaced, so I''m thinking I may just get a new pair of those w/insoles. But, if anyone knows of any REALLY good brands/styles, I''d love to try out a few other pairs before deciding.

Thanks!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love step but I am taking it easy. I have done it for 16 years so my favorite shoes and my friend who is an aerobics instructors favorite shoes are The Asics Gel Nimbus. They feel like you are floating.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2007 1:37:38 PM
Author:MC
Does anyone here do a lot of step aerobics? I'm looking for shoe recommendations. Right now I'm wearing New Balance 504s and they need to be replaced, so I'm thinking I may just get a new pair of those w/insoles. But, if anyone knows of any REALLY good brands/styles, I'd love to try out a few other pairs before deciding.

Thanks!
I think I do a lot; lately it's 5X a week but during the school year 3 - 4 times a week.

I used to swear by Avia but for the last year and half I've been using Ryka. Here's my shoe, the N-gage:

http://www.ryka.com/footwear.asp?product_id=31

Ideally, it would be great to go to a store that carries all different brands and see which fit you the best. I can't do that here because most stores carry a lot of cross-trainers and very few studio shoes. For me, it's important to get a studio shoe, not a cross trainer, for step. They tend to have better shock absorption and side stability. I also like a mid-cut top (half-way between a high top and a regular shoe). I guess I'm pretty fussy about my aerobic shoes!

I also replace my shoes fairly often, around 3 times a year. They look practically new when I'm done with them because I don't wear them outside the gym. I'll always feel like, gee, do I really need to replace these shoes already but then when I put the new ones on I realize, yep it was time! I used to wait until 6 months (instead of 4) to replace and was always getting shin splints and backaches towards the end. But then again, I'm 45 so maybe I just need to be coddled more, haha.

Skippy, I checked out your shoe and it is a running shoe? I'm surprised about that. I always understood that running shoes were not to be used for aerobics because they have forward stability (for running forward) but not good stability for side to side movements. Have you had good luck with them? Why are you taking it easy?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maria,
My friend teaches step in the same shoes? I hurt my knee so I am taking a break from step since my step class is high impact. I have been wearing that brand for 2 years but changed shoes periodically. When I bought the shoes they said they would be good for step as long as they have support and they do.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, that stinks about your knee Skippy, I hope it gets better soon. It can be depressing taking a break from cardio, no? I know with me my mind suffers as much as my body when I can''t get in some aerobic exercise. Are you able to do anything else? You do really need those knees for high impact step, but maybe you can still walk for exercise? It''s best not to push it though -- might be a good time to concentrate on ab work!

Last year I threw my back out really bad and couldn''t do *anything* for almost 8 weeks. Then when I could do stuff I had to take it sooooo easy. I thought I would never get back to my old self, but I did.

As for running shoes, that''s what I had always heard -- maybe that''s old-school thinking though. Exercise shoe technology has come a long way. Remember the original Reebok aerobic shoes? They had about the same support as a pair of slippers!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maria,
I could not find any articles supporting what you were saying sorry and I talked to my friend and she said they are great shoes and have good support.

I am better, I am walking lots; 4 miles daily
9.gif
Thanks! Happy Stepping.
1.gif
Glad your back is better too Maria.

MC,
I would go to a good store w/lots of variety to try some on. If you are happy w/New Balances I would buy another pair. I have heeard good things about New Balance too!

How often do you do Step? Happy Stepping, MC
9.gif

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Skippy, I''m glad your knee is better! Walking is such good exercise too.

The specific running shoe you use may very well have the lateral support needed fo aerobics, but the ''conventional wisdom'' is not to use running shoes (in general) for aerobics. The American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine has a good article on aerobics, including recommended footwear:

http://www.aapsm.org/aerobics.html

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I''m a fitness instructor & while I don''t teach step anymore, I did for YEARS in the 90''s. I used to wear traditional "aerobic" shoes, that they don''t seem to make anymore.

The few times I''ve taken a step class, I''ve seen so many folks in running shoes & it makes my knees hurt to watch it. There is too much traction on the sole & with the rubber on top of the step, that can be hard on your joints.

You should find a good crosstrainer to do step in...one that does not have a lot of traction on the sole. I also use my shoes I wear for hip-hop & salsa (black adidas lowtops--couldn''t tell you the style, I just hit our outlet, and buy what is comfortable & what soles fit my application in the gym) since they don''t have a lot of traction & I can do turns in them.

But when buying a shoe, recommendations only go so far. You have to buy for good fit, comfort, correct amount of arch support for your foot. Buy your shoes at the end of the day when your feet are all swollen & hot (like when you are exercising).

And most of all in step...do NOT pivot or turn on the bench with your foot ON the bench. Get some air when you turn or your run the risk of hurting your ligaments. It doesnt have to be a big jump, just hop enough so you are in the air when you turn. HTH.

Diver...ACE Certified & Yogafit Certified Group Exercise Instructor.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Oh and if anyone has achy knees...ICE ICE ICE. And you can still get a killer cardio workout in spinning classes. You don''t need special shoes for that. Don''t forget your water & sweat towel. You''ll need it!!!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 1:24:26 PM
Author: divergrrl
Hi! I''m a fitness instructor & while I don''t teach step anymore, I did for YEARS in the 90''s. I used to wear traditional ''aerobic'' shoes, that they don''t seem to make anymore.

The few times I''ve taken a step class, I''ve seen so many folks in running shoes & it makes my knees hurt to watch it. There is too much traction on the sole & with the rubber on top of the step, that can be hard on your joints.

You should find a good crosstrainer to do step in...one that does not have a lot of traction on the sole. I also use my shoes I wear for hip-hop & salsa (black adidas lowtops--couldn''t tell you the style, I just hit our outlet, and buy what is comfortable & what soles fit my application in the gym) since they don''t have a lot of traction & I can do turns in them.

But when buying a shoe, recommendations only go so far. You have to buy for good fit, comfort, correct amount of arch support for your foot. Buy your shoes at the end of the day when your feet are all swollen & hot (like when you are exercising).

And most of all in step...do NOT pivot or turn on the bench with your foot ON the bench. Get some air when you turn or your run the risk of hurting your ligaments. It doesnt have to be a big jump, just hop enough so you are in the air when you turn. HTH.

Diver...ACE Certified & Yogafit Certified Group Exercise Instructor.
Okay, thanks for the info. I''m going to pick out some shoes next week, so I''ll be sure to stick with cross trainers and try them on after a day of walking around. I ususally buy shoes in the morning, which I guess probably isn''t the best time (it''s just when I shop - kids are in preschool
1.gif
).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2007 10:08:10 AM
Author: Skippy123

MC,
I would go to a good store w/lots of variety to try some on. If you are happy w/New Balances I would buy another pair. I have heeard good things about New Balance too!

How often do you do Step? Happy Stepping, MC
9.gif
Thanks! I may just get another pair of the same or similar.

I step five days a week and it''s become a bit of an addiction! lol My kids are at home with me and they are very time consuming and do not understand "mommy time," BUT for some reason, they totally leave me alone while I exercise, so my stepping has become a bit of "my time/therapy." lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results