shape
carat
color
clarity

Steaming dress on wedding day

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
My seamstress recommended that I steam my dress on my wedding day to remove any reamining wrinkles. Does anyone have a reasonably priced steamer they would recommend or have any other ideas for how to remove wrinkles?

Thanks!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would just keep it somewhere very safe where it couldn''t get messed up. I wouldn''t take the risk of something happening to it when I steamed it on the day of. I mean, what would you do if something happened to it and you were an hour from ceremony time?

diamondgirl4382

Shiny_Rock
I am interested in this too, I know the bridal shop I bought my dress from offers to steam it the week of. But I am still nervous that it will get all wrinkly from hanging in the bag the day of the wedding!

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 4:30:34 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I would just keep it somewhere very safe where it couldn''t get messed up. I wouldn''t take the risk of something happening to it when I steamed it on the day of. I mean, what would you do if something happened to it and you were an hour from ceremony time?
I know... but my dress is travelling a pretty long distance in my car. I don''t think I have another option and I don''t want it to be wrinkly.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
In that case I would research seamstresses and dry cleaners in the area and ask if they steam. I would NOT do it on the day of however.

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
I am glad you asked this. I was just going to buy a hand held steamer and do it along with the bridesmaid dresses day-of, too....should I be rethinking this? yowzers.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I ran around like an idiot and paid $70 to have mine steamed by a dry cleaner the day before the wedding. I was all worried because there were wrinkles where the inside ribbon held up the train when it was on the hanger. We ended up having to hang it up like that anyway, and my dress got wrinkled from me sitting down for a total of 5 minutes before the ceremony. If you can buy a cheap steamer, I''d maybe try that, but definitely test it out before the day of.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
No worries with my dress, I am getting married in the tropics very close to wet season. The humidity at 90% should do the trick
40.gif
32.gif

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 6:00:37 PM
Author: honey22
No worries with my dress, I am getting married in the tropics very close to wet season. The humidity at 90% should do the trick
40.gif
32.gif
Haha that''s true... I hope you''re taking plenty of hairspray!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 6:08:27 PM
Author: musincy

40.gif
32.gif

My hair and makeup artist is basically on call from the ceremony until the reception starts. She will come back half way through the pics to touch up (1.5-2hr after she completes the look in the first place) and then again roughly 2 hours later to retouch before the reception, so I don''t think I have to worry about my hair or face. She has pretty much got it covered - she is brilliant!!! Surely the look will last for 2 hour stretches at a time. After all, she works in the tropics, she knows how to work with it

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 6:14:43 PM

Date: 2/26/2009 6:08:27 PM
Author: musincy

40.gif
32.gif

My hair and makeup artist is basically on call from the ceremony until the reception starts. She will come back half way through the pics to touch up (1.5-2hr after she completes the look in the first place) and then again roughly 2 hours later to retouch before the reception, so I don''t think I have to worry about my hair or face. She has pretty much got it covered - she is brilliant!!! Surely the look will last for 2 hour stretches at a time. After all, she works in the tropics, she knows how to work with it
I''m sure you''re right... and how nice that she''ll do touchups!! You won''t have to worry about any of that!
My hair is curly, so any time I think about humidity and trying to look nice, it gives me nightmares
1.gif

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I'm wondering about this, too. There are no seamstresses/dry cleaners in Yosemite Valley! My dress is traveling 7 hours by car to get there, and I'm sure it will be plenty wrinkled by that time.

Does anyone have a good hand steamer they'd recommend?

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Bumping this thread.

My dress is going to have to make an international flight and a 3 hour van ride into an isolated town where there is 0 chance of a drycleaner, so I would also love to hear travel steamer suggestions!

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
I''ve always heard that if you have a dress that doesn''t have a whole ton of fabric (and with so many girls wearing sheath and trumpet style dresses this is probably the case), then just hanging it in the bathroom while you take a hot shower should do the trick for those last few little wrinkles. I often do this on a smaller scale with my work shirts while I''m getting ready in the morning, and it seems to work fine.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
This is the one we use at the boutique I work at. If it ever makes a gurgling noise or starts to get your dress wet, pull the hose straight, and it will stop. I''ve been using it for months on hundreds of dresses, and never had a problem.. Well, other than a few burnt fingers!

Link

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine flew cross country and didn''t need to be steamed more than sticking it in the steamy bathroom, so depending on your dress it might be ok as is.

tropiqalkiwi

Shiny_Rock
I recently bought a SteamBuddy hand steamer and it has worked just fine. I haven''t tried it on anything silk though. Whatever you get I would make sure you test it on a swatch of the dress fabric, or just a similar material, well before you need to use it on the dress.

Also when you steam your dress you might want to steam from the inside of the dress, or even through a sheet, to insure against water spots.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you ask your seamstress to steam it for you? I picked up my gown the day before the wedding (I would have picked it up the morning of but we were married in the morning so there wasn''t time) and she steamed it for me. Just an idea.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
My friend tried to steam her gown the night before her wedding with a "professional" kind of steamer (almost the size of a vacuum) and it was really tough to get the wrinkles out of her silk dupioni skirt. I think that we were lacking in the technique and patience department though.

I hope the one OU found for your works out! Sounds like she has some good experience with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results