shape
carat
color
clarity

Status of Gelin Abaci?

RaymondW

Rough_Rock
I'm surprised that I can find nothing specific about this. Maybe someone here knows.

I need to get a 10-year-old Gelin Abaci TR025 tension ring resized. I realize that "resizing" actually means "remaking" and that it's unwise to try to resize a tension ring otherwise. I read somewhere that GA had a resizing program that including making a new ring and exchanging the original for a very low cost. When I try to Google that, auto complete includes search terms like "Gelin Abaci out of business" or "Gelin Abaci closed", although no actual articles exist that address that. I CAN find a number of jewelers who still advertise GA rings and who sound like they're ready and able to deliver those rings.

I contacted the out-of-state jeweler who originally sold me the ring and she said that Gelin Abaci went out of business last year. Has anyone else heard that? I know you cannot get what I think is/was their web page to open but I assumed that might be due to them not dealing directly with the retail public. Maybe they don't have a public web presence anymore. That would be weird but so would their closing without a trace.

I don't think you can stretch a tension ring and maintain it's integrity and I don't relish the idea of removing material to make the ring larger, not to mention the loss of the serial number and other markings inside.

Does anyone have any input on any of this?

BTW, she's had nothing but compliments and zero issues with this tension ring. We were both initially nervous about the simplicity of the mount and fears of losing the diamond, but none of that has been an issue. After 10 years of daily wear, it's still as solid and perfectly aligned as the day I bought it.

Thanks,

Ray

RaymondW

Rough_Rock
Thanks! That link does actually work. This is interesting. I know of one local jeweler who claims to be an authorized Gelin Abaci dealer. We'll try to visit them to see what they say. Could be that the original jeweler is no longer authorized to sell GA rings but I still wonder why an active business would make themselves so difficult to find, deal or communicate with. Your link does give me hope. Thanks again.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Tension set ring cannot be sized!
I remember I was browsing GelinAbaci website a long time ago. I don't see their website any more. So may be it's true that they are out of business. So sad, indeed!

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
But where is their own website?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, she's had nothing but compliments and zero issues with this tension ring. We were both initially nervous about the simplicity of the mount and fears of losing the diamond, but none of that has been an issue. After 10 years of daily wear, it's still as solid and perfectly aligned as the day I bought it.
Thank you for the long-term feedback, Ray :)

Post some pictures!

RaymondW

Rough_Rock
After talking to several jewelers (including Adams Jewelers mentioned above) who show Gelin Abaci rings on their web sites, it's evident that Gelin Abaci no longer exists. One jeweler said that they simply closed their doors without notice. No one seems to know if they got bought or if they sold their equipment to a competitor. I guess for individual jewelers who didn't buy a lot of GA rings anyway, this wasn't a big deal. But for customers, it's pretty shoddy. I don't know what happened to any customer rings they may have had at the time or what precipitated all of this. I assume nothing has been announced in trade publications, either. It's as if they just disappeared and no one noticed.

We plan to reuse our diamond in a titanium tension ring leaving us with a 14k ring that can't be resized, can't be used reliably with a different stone, and so is reduced to its scrap value.

Bummer.

I'm hoping there's more to this than meets the eye. Maybe they'll be resurrected with new owners perhaps.

Good luck to anyone who owns one of their rings.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a shame.

Is there a phone number at the address @ChristineRose posted above?

Is there someone on PS who can go and knock on the door? :lol:

RaymondW

Rough_Rock
That is a shame.

Is there a phone number at the address @ChristineRose posted above?

Is there someone on PS who can go and knock on the door? :lol:

No phone number was on the document she referred to and the only number I had from 10 years ago is disconnected or no longer in service.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe someone who lives in Glendora could look into it.

RaymondW

Rough_Rock
I'd, but it doesn't matter if I don't needed another ring or if I'd needed another tension setting I can send the stone to Boone.
http://www.boonerings.com/stone.htm
Yep. That's the plan. In fact, we're planning to visit Bruce's shop while we're in the area in three weeks.

What I meant about good luck, is only that if you ever need anything adjusted, changed, repaired, or whatever, Gelin Abaci won't be there.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. That's the plan. In fact, we're planning to visit Bruce's shop while we're in the area in three weeks.

What I meant about good luck, is only that if you ever need anything adjusted, changed, repaired, or whatever, Gelin Abaci won't be there.
Nothing to adjust on a tension setting...either you need a new setting or you don't. just don't gain too much weight..:bigsmile:

Carrie4d

Rough_Rock
There's a dealer on EBAY who is certified to resize Gelin Abaci tension settings
Nothing to adjust on a tension setting...either you need a new setting or you don't. just don't gain too much weight..:bigsmile:

m surprised that I can find nothing specific about this. Maybe someone here knows.

I need to get a 10-year-old Gelin Abaci TR025 tension ring resized. I realize that "resizing" actually means "remaking" and that it's unwise to try to resize a tension ring otherwise. I read somewhere that GA had a resizing program that including making a new ring and exchanging the original for a very low cost. When I try to Google that, auto complete includes search terms like "Gelin Abaci out of business" or "Gelin Abaci closed", although no actual articles exist that address that. I CAN find a number of jewelers who still advertise GA rings and who sound like they're ready and able to deliver those rings.

I contacted the out-of-state jeweler who originally sold me the ring and she said that Gelin Abaci went out of business last year. Has anyone else heard that? I know you cannot get what I think is/was their web page to open but I assumed that might be due to them not dealing directly with the retail public. Maybe they don't have a public web presence anymore. That would be weird but so would their closing without a trace.

I don't think you can stretch a tension ring and maintain it's integrity and I don't relish the idea of removing material to make the ring larger, not to mention the loss of the serial number and other markings inside.

Thanks,

Ray[/QUOTE]

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to get a 10-year-old Gelin Abaci TR025 tension ring resized. I realize that "resizing" actually means "remaking" and that it's unwise to try to resize a tension ring otherwise.
Ray
[/QUOTE] That is correct. it is impossible to resize a tension setting. My next tension setting will be from Bruce Boone.

https://www.boonerings.com/stone.htm

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess Niessing is the other option, albeit 'label' and therefore vastly expensive... lol

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suspect that when they went out of business they still allowed authorized jewelers to use their name. That would be normal in a bankruptcy because it would provide income for the creditors.

Often they let someone buy the brand and sell whatever they like as Gelin Abaci. But I doubt whether any of the legit tension ring makers would do that and it would make the brand worthless if someone bought it and started making purses or even dime a dozen cathedrals and halos. They might as well call it Galaxy of Sparkle and build their own brand. So maybe the brand is in limbo waiting for someone who can preserve the value by making real tension rings.

Carol Sluys

Rough_Rock
I'm surprised that I can find nothing specific about this. Maybe someone here knows.

Thanks,

Ray

Thanks,

Ray

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That sucks. :-/ Are you dead set on another tension ring? What about finding a jeweller that will make a new setting using your ring & having a tension look? Maybe a semi bezel style of ring.

Carol Sluys

Rough_Rock
Here's a possible update on Gelin and Abbaci. I too have been looking all over for them and very recently I found out what's going on. Abe Gelin passed away. Apparently his kids didn't want to take it over. They recently gave/transferred/sold? The equipment and molds and apparently, the name to a Jeweler in Los Altos. ( see contact info below)

Last week I lost my diamond and this time doing the search brought up a current robust web site.( Along with hundreds more without current info) I called and spoke to Laura Yelavich who explained Abe's passing and all written below to me. Later, yesterday, I spoke to the goldsmith(?) Paul.

I
As a point of interest..I love GA jewelry..it's very stable and shows a beautiful stone, beautifully. But my talk with the jeweler yesterday said my diamond-less ring, which appears to be perfect, would probably have to be replaced. He said the gold was " tired" . He said finding a harder, springer, platinum out of Germany was a game changer and I think it was finding that alloy that made him interested in the Gelin and Abaci revival. Pretty much everything he said was new information for me so it's possible I have some of this wrong. My contact below can probably answer all your questions.

I hope this information I received and am passing on, is true. believe this is correct information but it's entirely dependent on these two conversations. Another search found that Gelin and Abaci did re-up their business license in October of this year. ( 2018) Abe did not sign and the on-line application is barely filled out. But it is signed by the bookkeeper. Previous years were all signed by Abe Gelin. His signature says his actual first name isn't Abe but I forgot what it was. If you want to inquire about Gelin and Abaci contact;

Laura Yelavich
Design Consultant

Diamond Brokers of Los Altos
333 First St.
Los Altos, Ca 94022
Ph # 650-941-8808
Fax# 650-941-8871

Last edited:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I just ran into this thread yesterday while looking for a local GA dealer. Very sad news since I own two platinum rings a 18k ring and pendant. I hope someone steps up to restart the company, I have a ring I would like the center stone replaced in.

ronlcart

Rough_Rock
Trade
GelinAbaci closed their doors December 15, 2017. I was a retailer for them for 20 years. You will still find merchant websites displaying rings they can no longer get, unless is is something they still have in stock.

strawbearlyjamms

Rough_Rock
Trade
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, as I started my own thread about needing a repair for my GA piece, but I'd love recommendations if someone can help... Screenshot_20190418-135009.png Screenshot_20190418-143145.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results