shape
carat
color
clarity

Starter (cheap) pearls

Sexypiggy

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

I am looking at the following pearls to buy as a “starter” strand.

Can someone tell me if this would be a good length and size for everyday wear?

My style is casual and I like to add accessories to dress things up a bit.

I don’t want to spend too much as I’m not sure if I am a “pearl” person so this is dipping my toes into the water.

Will I regret going with this one and should I save up and buy a more quality strand? Also, 18 or 16 inches if you could only have one necklace?

thank you!

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Baroque pearls are great for casual wear. Round pearl strands tend to be more formal in general, but each to their own style.

A more common and comfortable length for most will be 18" so that is my general suggestion to folks unless you know you want a choker length.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
18 inches for me too

have you had a look at the casual pearl thread ?
Its fun and inspiring

Sexypiggy

Shiny_Rock
Baroque pearls are great for casual wear. Round pearl strands tend to be more formal in general, but each to their own style.

A more common and comfortable length for most will be 18" so that is my general suggestion to folks unless you know you want a choker length.

thank you! It’s hard to gauge things online sometimes but I would never be able to find something like this locally without being ripped off!

18 inches for me too

have you had a look at the casual pearl thread ?
Its fun and inspiring

thank you! Will pull the trigger soon hehe
Yes I love the stylish ladies there. I hope I can pull it off too

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you! It’s hard to gauge things online sometimes but I would never be able to find something like this locally without being ripped off!

thank you! Will pull the trigger soon hehe
Yes I love the stylish ladies there. I hope I can pull it off too

I gotta warn you they get addictive
Very much looling forward to you getting your first pearl strand
remenber to just 'own it' just like the other PS pearl princesss do !

I dreamt of blue pearls the other night (thank you @MakingTheGrade :lol: ) and i can tell you Bruce Springsteen wasn't happy because my happy dreams are his real estate !

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I love baroque pearls. I find them so much easier to wear daily. I think length really depends on where a 16 inch and 18 inch falls on you and the necklines you tend to wear. I'd go for the 18 inch if I was unsure (I think it's easier to shorten in the future if you change your mind).

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
My toe-dipping pearls were 30 dollars from Wen on Etsy lol

Everyone has a different budget of course but I just didn't see spending more for something that I might not like. So I wore my cheap freshie strand to a friend's wedding and enjoyed them but they're not my thing. Still fun and pretty though.

I also got cheap pearl earrings which I adore so Im looking forward to replacing them with a gem quality pair. The cheapies can be my future travel buddies.

Have fun on your pearl journey!!!

Sexypiggy

Shiny_Rock
I love baroque pearls. I find them so much easier to wear daily. I think length really depends on where a 16 inch and 18 inch falls on you and the necklines you tend to wear. I'd go for the 18 inch if I was unsure (I think it's easier to shorten in the future if you change your mind).

I bought them!

My toe-dipping pearls were 30 dollars from Wen on Etsy lol

Everyone has a different budget of course but I just didn't see spending more for something that I might not like. So I wore my cheap freshie strand to a friend's wedding and enjoyed them but they're not my thing. Still fun and pretty though.

I also got cheap pearl earrings which I adore so Im looking forward to replacing them with a gem quality pair. The cheapies can be my future travel buddies.

Have fun on your pearl journey!!!

Ahhh sorry I think my topic came across the wrong way!! I admit I haven’t done much research on pearls at all. I fell in love with a baroque (or circlet :confused::confused:) necklace on the Paspaley SA when I went to enquire however the price was astronomical. Looking at the other threads and preloved jewels forum there are pearls for 800ish EACH so I thought 200ish is really cheap for a whole real pearl necklace:eek2:

I do have some pearl dangles from Paspaley which I loove. They were 1/4 of the price of the perfect circle pearls they were selling but now I realise I could probably get something even cheaper lol

25503D21-3B02-4E8E-8851-33B8592E5A2B.jpeg

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The world of pearls is all over the place - you can buy pearls for $5 each and you can find strands for well into the six-figures.

I always think it's best to consider a piece within its own merits, and it sounds like you enjoy your Paspaley earrings :)

But on the whole, welcome to the pearl world - this is a great place to post if you have questions about pearls in general, and there are so many knowledgeable folk here on the forum that will love to help.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought them!

Ahhh sorry I think my topic came across the wrong way!! I admit I haven’t done much research on pearls at all. I fell in love with a baroque (or circlet :confused::confused:) necklace on the Paspaley SA when I went to enquire however the price was astronomical. Looking at the other threads and preloved jewels forum there are pearls for 800ish EACH so I thought 200ish is really cheap for a whole real pearl necklace:eek2:

I do have some pearl dangles from Paspaley which I loove. They were 1/4 of the price of the perfect circle pearls they were selling but now I realise I could probably get something even cheaper lol

Those earrings are so beautiful! You may or may not have been able to purchase something less expensive but at the end of the day........they are gorgeous!

I think the strand you chose from PP will be so versatile and with PP it is basically a risk free purchase due to their excellent customer service. White pearls easily morph from formal to informal IMHO depending on how you style them.

If you like the shape and size of the PP pearls you can add to your collection with similar pearls of different colors. Wen has these pretty purples that are similar to what your purchased. If you learn to string pearls (very easy) you can make inexpensive strands that are gorgeous. For example, I would buy two strands of these Wen pearls and use only the best pearls to make a 18 or 20 inch necklace. Or buy 2 strands and a gold clasp and have Wen chose the best pearls for the necklace and have her make a necklace with the rest that you can gift to a friend.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone,

I am looking at the following pearls to buy as a “starter” strand.

Can someone tell me if this would be a good length and size for everyday wear?

My style is casual and I like to add accessories to dress things up a bit.

I don’t want to spend too much as I’m not sure if I am a “pearl” person so this is dipping my toes into the water.

Will I regret going with this one and should I save up and buy a more quality strand? Also, 18 or 16 inches if you could only have one necklace?

thank you!

I got an email from PP this morning
i dodnt open it because i can't afford to buy right now
but maybe they have a good deal going

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I bought them!

Welcome to pearls! I bought a similar necklace when I was just starting out. This strand will serve you well and will be a great start to see if you love your pearls. Hope you love them and come back to show them off :) We love to see your pearls.

@Lisa Loves Shiny points out how much fun it is to find pearls and make them into strands. There are several Etsy sellers that have lovely freshwater strands for a decent price.

Your baroque South Sea earrings are lovely. I love the satiny glow of South Sea pearls. Do you enjoy wearing them often?

Sexypiggy

Shiny_Rock
The world of pearls is all over the place - you can buy pearls for $5 each and you can find strands for well into the six-figures.

I always think it's best to consider a piece within its own merits, and it sounds like you enjoy your Paspaley earrings :)

But on the whole, welcome to the pearl world - this is a great place to post if you have questions about pearls in general, and there are so many knowledgeable folk here on the forum that will love to help.

Thank you! I definitely will ask a lot of questions. I can’t tell the difference between the 6 figure pearls and some of the 4 figure ones lol. The sizing also confuses me as in the shop some of the smaller sizes seemed to be much bigger than the larger diameter ones. *confused*

Oh but the paspaley's are another world entirely!!! Stunning! Wear them in good health.

thanks! I love drooling over their display windows.

Those earrings are so beautiful! You may or may not have been able to purchase something less expensive but at the end of the day........they are gorgeous!

I think the strand you chose from PP will be so versatile and with PP it is basically a risk free purchase due to their excellent customer service. White pearls easily morph from formal to informal IMHO depending on how you style them.

If you like the shape and size of the PP pearls you can add to your collection with similar pearls of different colors. Wen has these pretty purples that are similar to what your purchased. If you learn to string pearls (very easy) you can make inexpensive strands that are gorgeous. For example, I would buy two strands of these Wen pearls and use only the best pearls to make a 18 or 20 inch necklace. Or buy 2 strands and a gold clasp and have Wen chose the best pearls for the necklace and have her make a necklace with the rest that you can gift to a friend.

wow, those look the same in the photos as the ones I bought from pp haha. Damn!

I got an email from PP this morning
i dodnt open it because i can't afford to buy right now
but maybe they have a good deal going

I got 15% off mine

Welcome to pearls! I bought a similar necklace when I was just starting out. This strand will serve you well and will be a great start to see if you love your pearls. Hope you love them and come back to show them off :) We love to see your pearls.

@Lisa Loves Shiny points out how much fun it is to find pearls and make them into strands. There are several Etsy sellers that have lovely freshwater strands for a decent price.

Your baroque South Sea earrings are lovely. I love the satiny glow of South Sea pearls. Do you enjoy wearing them often?

thank you! How is your collection now? I don’t wear my earrings as much as I should. I am pretty lazy and don’t take off my jewelry for sleeping or showering so I only reach for them when I want to dress up a bit. My next target might be some south sea pearl studs. :lol:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I definitely will ask a lot of questions. I can’t tell the difference between the 6 figure pearls and some of the 4 figure ones lol. The sizing also confuses me as in the shop some of the smaller sizes seemed to be much bigger than the larger diameter ones. *confused*

thanks! I love drooling over their display windows.

wow, those look the same in the photos as the ones I bought from pp haha. Damn!

I got 15% off mine

thank you! How is your collection now? I don’t wear my earrings as much as I should. I am pretty lazy and don’t take off my jewelry for sleeping or showering so I only reach for them when I want to dress up a bit. My next target might be some south sea pearl studs. :lol:

You know, I had to clutch my pearls and find out myself! My mom has a couple more strands on permanent loan, but here I am now.

My first Tahitians were really rough :) It is the 2nd strand in. I bought what I could afford at the time (A strand of Tahitians was a coveted item for years) and restrung them and replaced the most fish-bitten pearls. I have learned to love it's rustic charm. The one beside it that is off round was a gift from my husband. I like wearing them together. The first stand are Tokki pearls. They are bumpy, imperfect pearls, but a good luster.

My best strand would be the blue Akoya. They have a much loved bright blue and rose overtone (not showing up here).

My favorite right now are by new gold south sea pearls.

20210108_131011.jpg 20210108_131005.jpg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know, I had to clutch my pearls and find out myself! My mom has a couple more strands on permanent loan, but here I am now.

My first Tahitians were really rough :) It is the 2nd strand in. I bought what I could afford at the time (A strand of Tahitians was a coveted item for years) and restrung them and replaced the most fish-bitten pearls. I have learned to love it's rustic charm. The one beside it that is off round was a gift from my husband. I like wearing them together. The first stand are Tokki pearls. They are bumpy, imperfect pearls, but a good luster.

My best strand would be the blue Akoya. They have a much loved bright blue and rose overtone (not showing up here).

What a lovelly collection

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MMtwo - Lovely collection! I can see why the golden SS pearls are your favorite. They really are a gorgeous color with great luster.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Sexypiggy

Shiny_Rock

What a collection!! Wow, I am jealous! I love the metallic one. Actually I love them all! Which ones do u wear the most?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
What a collection!! Wow, I am jealous! I love the metallic one. Actually I love them all! Which ones do u wear the most?

Thank you! For the last few years I have worn the Tahitian lot the most. They don't look too stuffy. Since I bought the golden south sea pearls, I have been grabbing them the most. I love the blue Akoya, but they can be too formal for most everyday wear.

If I were to pick a start strand, I would start with baroque Tahitians. They dress up and down effortlessly.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sexypiggy - Did your pearls arrive? So excited for you and for having another pearl lover on the forum.

Sexypiggy

Shiny_Rock
Sorry about the delay!! Here are pics as promised.

I love the size, color and length. I think they will be great for casual wear.

Can definitely tell a difference between these and my paspaley pearls. I was also surprised about the shape of the pearls as they had a flattish side which I wasnt expecting.

I think I need a south sea pea strand now ;))

overall I am happy with these pearls

FC5E47B0-DA14-4114-A0D8-09F682CE0C6F.jpeg C99FF8FD-C6E0-4B66-BF0C-108542B7C145.jpeg 499733EE-93B8-4A71-AAF9-7D37B325F387.jpeg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are beautiful and they look great layered with your gold (bee?) necklace. If you like the shape of the pearls but want them without the flat side you can buy larger rice pearls. I think these are 11 mm.

IMG_4965.jpg

Sexypiggy

Shiny_Rock
Those are beautiful and they look great layered with your gold (bee?) necklace. If you like the shape of the pearls but want them without the flat side you can buy larger rice pearls. I think these are 11 mm.

IMG_4965.jpg

Oooo these are very nice. Where did you get them from?

I think I want some ear studs now. What is a good size for ear studs? I am at an age now where I want to buy things that I can still wear at 70 and not look silly in

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sexypiggy - I think if you start a thread asking about pearl ear studs you will get great advice. I don't have any stud earrings so I have no guidance to give.

The strand posted was from an Etsy vendor- I attached the link. The pearls were great- and that lot has sold. His current similar ones are not the same quality unfortunately. It might take time to find good quality 10-11mm rice pearls but smaller ones are easily found on Etsy. Kong's pearls for one has some nice strands. If you look at Wen's pearls on Etsy her AAA+ rice pearls are almost always metallic. She occasionally gets larger sizes in. I attached a pic of a strand of 9-10mm metallic rice pearls I made by purchasing single, earring pearls from her. She will have the pearls drilled for a necklace if you request and the price IMHO can't be beat.

IMG_5097.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results