shape
carat
color
clarity

Star Length Percentage

Cross

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a particular stone and everything looks great, except the star length is listed as 45. Based on the other specs below, should I be worried about the star length.

SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.25
COLOR: H
CLARITY: VVS1
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W/D (MM): 6.93 x 6.91 x 4.26
DEPTH %: 61.60
GIRDLE: Medium
TABLE %: 57.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 35.00
CROWN %: 15.00
PAVILION ∠:40.60
Star Length: 45

Any help would be appreciated. I have searched the internet for this topic, but I am still unsure whether I should be concerned with this shorter than normal star length.

Thanks...

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Wouldn't bother me. Can you get an Idealscope or ASET pic of the stone?

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Cross - anything from 45-55% is well within normal - all the numbers fall within GIA triple Ex and AGS Ideal - looks like a great stone on paper
Hope this helps

Cross

Rough_Rock
First of all I appreciate the quick responses.

Unfortunately, I don't they don't have a Aset or Ideal Scope on this one. However, the image of the stone shows a pretty defined arrows image from the top. So, with everything held constant, what would be the difference between a diamond with a 50-55 star length versus a 45 star length. Do I give up some fire, brilliance, or other characteristic? Just trying to determine what the smaller star length does to the diamonds optical characteristics.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Cross said:

Unfortunately, I don't they don't have a Aset or Ideal Scope on this one. However, the image of the stone shows a pretty defined arrows image from the top. So, with everything held constant, what would be the difference between a diamond with a 50-55 star length versus a 45 star length. Do I give up some fire, brilliance, or other characteristic? Just trying to determine what the smaller star length does to the diamonds optical characteristics.
You may lose out ever so slightly on the scintillation from the star facet.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
gr8leo87|1452000919|3970947 said:
Cross said:

You may lose out ever so slightly on the scintillation from the star facet.
Not really, it may increase it and may pick up some from the shallower upper girdles assuming min painting/digging with a 35 degree crown.
The differences in the upper girdles with different stars is more pronounced in shallower and steeper crowns.
In general shallower crowns benefit from longer stars/steeper uppers where steeper crowns with too long stars/too steep uppers can lose brightness from the upper girdle area. The difference is small most of the time, more of a personality difference than a quality issue.
Anyway, bottom line 45% stars are fine with a 35 degree crown.

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Should be GTG, I am looking at a very similar stone, 15.5% crown, 35.4 degree CA with 45% stars, 40.6 degree PA,everyone here said the IS image was GTG, you can find my thread with the photos here. I too was concerned about star length, I assume both are good to go.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results