shape
carat
color
clarity

"Stamps" on Jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Is there a list of what all the stamps on various jewelry items mean? I'm trying to do some research (and just generally learn more), and I can't find anything out.

Three examples:

Signet Ring from Grandmother

I have the following ring, handed down to me from my late grandmother and late uncle, which was appraised with the following comments:

"The ring is by XX, is of German origin, "...

Looking at the ring through my loupe, I can see "XX", ".333" (8 karat), and what looks like "BB" or "88". Where does one begin to find out about these markings, and how does the appraiser know that it's of German origin (I'm farily positive that it is, as my grandmother lived there originally).

Gold Diamond Ring from Girlfriend

Just a simple ring from the maul. Stamped "JSN10K", 10 karat gold, assuming JSN refers to the person / company who made it. Is there some sort of registrar where these sorts of stamps are registered?
1.gif

Gold Puzzle Ring from Yemen

Stamped 750 (18 karat). That's it.
1.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I recently was wondering the same thing when I was listing some old jewelery on ebay. Strangely, I couldn't find a thing. I thought there would be lots of reference info out there. If you come across anything would you mind letting us know?

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stamps.... Stamps....
nono.gif
Stamps.... Huh? HALLMARKS
2.gif

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Ah hah! I knew I had the term wrong. In fact, I was watching some show no more than 2 days ago, and they used the term "Hallmarks", I just didn't remember it until you just mentioned it.
1.gif

Thanks.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
TMI-

This book got mention on another site. Thought you may be interested:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0007137176/qid=1074889507/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/102-9427475-7556136?v=glance&s=books#product-details

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Recently heard about a hall marked item with a capital 'N' enclosed by a triangle. Anyone have any experience with this symbol?

win

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
585 = 14k

Many times you find country of origin & date from the Hallmarks. The Brits are about the most anal about dating their objects. Also, you can tell country of origin from import/export marks.

I wish I could point you in the direction of the magic bullet book. There is no such definitive book. I literally have hundreds of books, extensive contacts & experience *and* still some manufacturer go unidentified.

Here's a few that may help. But, for the most part, it's for older firms.

"American Jewelry Manufacturers" Dorothy Rainwater
- obviously for only US manu & fails to list many smaller crafts jewelers -

The best & cheapest reference to styles & overview on foreigh hallmarks - Warman's Jewelry Identification and Price Guide" - "a fully illustrated identification and PG to 18th, 19th & 20th Century Fine & Costume Jewelry" By Christie Romero (an extremely knowledgable Jewelry Historian)

If you want to point me into more specifically what reference you need let me know.

Win, I would have to see a pic of the mark - but sounds like it could be I.W. Neuwirth (NY, NY) registered 1950 (could have been working earlier though) - listed as manufacture of mountings.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks much F&I!! I'm going to have to spring for one of those Hallmark books sooner or later, but right now it will have to be later! %^(.

win

PlatinumDiamond

Shiny_Rock
My favorite Hallmark Stamp, Makers Mark, Trademark, whatever you want to call it is on the inside of all my platinum rings including my wife's new e-ring. Also marked inside my rings is: PLAT 950 PLAT/S1 and my wife's is marked PLAT. Hers is made with the 5% Ruthenium Mix.

Hope your research goes well ... it would be kind of neat to see a list somewhere of all the makers of manufactures trademarks for jewelry.
1.gif

JeffTruittFlyingPigWithWingsTrademark.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results