shape
carat
color
clarity

Stage 2: The Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Froof

Rough_Rock
Hello, fellow PriceScopers! First of all, I want to thank everyone who helped me with my diamond questions. This is a wonderful community full of helpful people.

(https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-give-this-first-timer-some-opinions-on-this-diamond.17551/).

I''ve been a PS''er for about a month, and have gone from an absolute neophyte to a diamond connoisseur.
rolleyes.gif
I still shudder when I think of how I almost bought an "ugly" EGL-Israel stone.
eek.gif

Now that the diamond is in the mail, and the ring order has been sent to Michael B, I''ve graduated to the next stage...the proposal. I''ve already got most of it worked out (I have a wonderful wedding planner helping me at the destination end), so now I have a month and a half to get the details down. I''ll give a comprehensive report after the proposal, just in case she''s reading...
tongue.gif

So, here are the first questions:

1. From what I''ve read here, the platinum ring should not set off the detectors at the airport. Does anyone have any conflicting information? I''d sure hate for months of preparation to be spoiled by this one little glitch.

2. Are there any traditions that suggest which knee to kneel on when proposing?

3. Do you kneel, say what you have to say, and then produce the ring? Or, do you kneel, produce the ring, and then say what you have to say?

I know I''m being anal, but I''ve got 6 weeks to kill...please entertain me, so I don''t pull all my hair out!.
1.gif

Thanks everyone!

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
ok- i'll give my best shot. I travel for work- so go through the metal detectors all the time. The ring itself will not set off the detectors, but make sure whatever box it is in doesn't have any metal (although likely you won't have it on your body since box= bulky. In your carry-on, the screeners should see it , and sometimes the screens are visible to the passengers, so i would try to distract her while going through security. Usually easy to do since it is now a cattle call when going through. If they hand-search your bag, they will keep you near it, but will not let your future finacee stay with you,so she wouldn't see it anyway.

I don't know about which knee.

I would almost think that as soon as she sees you kneel she won't hear a word you are really saying, since her mind will immediately process 'PROPOSAL, PROPOSAL' in big flashing letters, so if you have something tender to say before hand, I might say that standing, so she can hear you, then before you say will you marry me, I would kneel, bring out the ring and say it.

Just my opinion- I am sure you will get great advice from others here.

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/29/2004 1:07:31 PM Froof wrote:

Hello, fellow PriceScopers! First of all, I want to thank everyone who helped me with my diamond questions. This is a wonderful community full of helpful people.

So, here are the first questions:

1. From what I've read here, the platinum ring should not set off the detectors at the airport. Does anyone have any conflicting information? I'd sure hate for months of preparation to be spoiled by this one little glitch.

2. Are there any traditions that suggest which knee to kneel on when proposing?

3. Do you kneel, say what you have to say, and then produce the ring? Or, do you kneel, produce the ring, and then say what you have to say?

I know I'm being anal, but I've got 6 weeks to kill...please entertain me, so I don't pull all my hair out!.
1.gif

Thanks everyone!----------------

First of all congratulations! Second of all you are in the right place. Spend some time reading through the posts here, lots of ideas and info is already there.

1. Metal detector: I don't know about this one. I recently traveled and it seemed as if people went through with some small metal items, but I was paranoid so I practically took out my fillings. I'm sure someone here will know. You're certainly right to make sure so you don't have an ugly surprise.

2. Which knee: I actually thought about this and here is what I decided. You have to actually try it so that you can see which knee you naturally go do on (without thinking too much). Depending upon which hand you will hold the ring out with and so forth you can see what works. I don't think tradition matters.

3. The order: This will depend on where you are, how much you're going to say and what other circumstances surround your proposal. Here too, practicing it will likely answer this question for you. One thing however, once she REALIZES it's a proposal she won't be able to think straight or remember details after that, so afterwards you could tell her you proposed on a pink rhino and she wouldn't remember enough to contradict you. The moral of this is, say whatever tender things you want BEFORE she will realize it's a proposal or she'll very likely be overwhelmed with emotion anyway.

So what is your plan, or do you have one yet?

Froof

Rough_Rock
Wonderful advice! Thank you jenwill! You absolutely cracked me up with your insight into the female mind. Excellent point, though.

By the way, Scatterbrain, right? Don't Call Me Dude? In case I am totally off and you have no idea what I'm talking about, I was referring to your signature.

Froof

Rough_Rock
Another question popped into my head:

4. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a private, outdoor proposal videoed, without having the awkwardness of someone there filming you, or the tackiness of saying: "Hold on, dear, while I mount this camcorder on the tripod."

I'd like a video, but I can't think of a good way to go about doing it.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
What's your proposal scenario like? Do you think you could manage to have a friend close by to do the taping, or hire someone professional to be in the vicinity waiting for your moment?

Gale

Shiny_Rock
So sorry about that. I clearly did not pay attention to what I was reading. I think it would be best to have someone else do the taping for you. You are a very important part of the moment as well, and if I were in your girl's shoes, I'd like to see you there in the video too. Some details about what you are planning might lead to inspriation on how to capture the proposal on tape.

Froof

Rough_Rock
Yeah, having someone else do the taping would be ideal, but would spoil the mood. Whatever happened to my invisible friend?
1.gif

I'm trying to not give out too many details, at this point. I don't think she knows of PS, but if she does, I don't want to spoil the months of planning that I've put into this. It's going to be in a secluded outdoor location in the evening. A cameraman would stick out like a sore thumb...

shaneyboy

Rough_Rock
yeah, i definitely agree with you on that one, something i'm gonna try is to have my best friend film it for me. He is usually home and stuff, and i don't think in my case, he would stand out like a sore thumb. Well why not try to use a family member or close friend who usually comes around, and be sure to have a good working camcorder or video camera. all the best

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results