shape
carat
color
clarity

Sprinkle Me

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been relatively absent from PS for the past month or so, but that''s because there''s been a lot going on! lots.

Big Change 1: I work as a law clerk for a judge and that is a two year position that ends this summer. For the past month, I was researching jobs, sorting out my resume, obsessing over cover letters, going on interviews, trying to eat lunch with potential-future-bosses without getting something stuck in my teeth...a grueling process indeed! But, the market is pretty good right now, so I was in the fortunate position to choose between my two top offers. Though, they were very different options - Big firm, stellar repuation, silly salary, but compromising more of my youthful idealism
2.gif
or smaller firm, smaller salary, but the chance to do the things that i actually went to law school to do. It shouldn''t seem like a difficult choice, but when you have substantial student loans looming, things become slightly more complicated. Lucky gal that I am, i had the unwaivering support of my DH to follow my heart and I decided that to go with the place that seemed like the best fit -- the best people and the best work! Money isn''t everything and this salary''s not too shabby either
9.gif

Big Change 2: DH and I really want to have a place of our own. We adore our current apartment, largely because it''s in the ideal neighborhood for us. It is such a great spot: beautiful, safe, lots to do, right by Rock Creek Park. However, because of this long list of positives we have found that buying a two-bedroom here has been out of our price range. That is until Friday. When I happened upon the perfect apartment. We immediately scheduled a showing and i was prepared to be disappointed (surely there must be something wrong with this otherwise IDEAL apartment), but I wasn''t. We cancelled a weekend trip we had planned and decided to return for another more serious look. and then....this afternoon...we put down...an...OFFER.

Fairy Dust me!

Please!!!

We really weren''t looking to move right now and it''s another huge life development, but when it seems right maybe it just is...Hopefully, the sellers feel the same way.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
SQUEE! Fairy dusting in progress ... please do not refresh the page until fairy dust settles, thank you.

Wow. Right in DC! That''s so cool! Wonder if the market''s slowing a teensy bit so people who''ve been priced out can finally jump in .. or if you just found the one in a million deal??? Either way -- hope it works out for the best!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Deco! It''s right in DC
emstar.gif
and literally, just down the road.

My DH and I seem to have been tossing around endless potential relocation spots, from VA, MD, DC. First we thought about trying to get a place in the suburbs and we both were infatuated with craftsman bungalows, but then niether of us wanted to deal with a bear of a commute at this childless stage in our life, but then we didn''t want to pay the steep taxes in DC. we''ve even considered annapolis because i''m a water baby...through it all, we have loved, loved, loved our current neighborhood.

But, i''m so NERVOUS. We haven''t heard a peep since we submitted the contract earlier this afternoon. At the advice of our agent, we put a time limit on the offer -- tomorrow at 1pm -- because tomorrow there''s an open house scheduled. Maybe we''ll get an answer sooner.

the waiting. oh the waiting.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge armfulls of fairy dust comeing your way right now!!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
****** sprinkling ****** sprinkling ****** sprinkling ******

fairy dust your way
9.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, how exciting!! Sending lots of fairy dust right back atcha!!

And congrats on the job, too -- yay, Lulu!!!
36.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Swoosh....look at below...avalanche....

It is thrilling to learn about your fulfilled successful life! Congratulations!

DKS
36.gif

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
You''re sprinkled

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!!!

But, so far not a peep.

We were hoping that they would accept our fairly aggressive offer before they held the open house they have scheduled for this afternoon. However, both my husband and I have been playing "If I were them" scenarios and if we were them, we''d probably want to wait and see what the results of the open house brought forward...

We will hear either way by 1pm.

Question for anyone with some real estate expertise: If they do not accept our initial offer because of the open house, what would be a sensible next step for us. As I mentioned, we made a very competitive offer, so would we resubmit that same offer or try to sweeten it further?

Thanks again and ellailia - we had friends in roslindale that had a similar roof situation when they were purchasing their home. at first, the sellers refused to pay for the roof, then they wanted to split the cost and finally they covered the entire replacement. I hope you and your family hears some great news!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
apparently, the seller''s agent has been unable to reach his client, so they are unaware of our offer...

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
*sprinkle* *sprinkle* Good Luck!
35.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hurling gobs of dust your way!!!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
After a fair bit of back and forth, they...ACCEPTED!

emstar.gif
emstar.gif
emrainbow.gif
emhot.gif
emrainbow.gif
emstar.gif
emstar.gif

We are so happy. and in many ways, i feel like it''s some huge victory -- Lulu and DH over DC!!

I never thought we''d find a two bedroom in our neighborhood!

Now my fingers are crossed that everything will go well with the inspection -- sprinkle, sprinkle.

luludhnewhome.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Awesome! What a beautiful place to call home...a 2 bedroom home!! Yippee. You now have room for your PS dusting crew...we won''t be a bother...really...Yippee!!

Irina...how many of us are there? She is going to need some more pillows.

DKS

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay!!!!
36.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
DKS, come on over! the more the merrier and i can put you all to work fixing up the place
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
*fairydust*fairydust*fairydust*

Let me know if you need some more.
1.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
POOF!!!! Sprinkle.....Sprinkle......
2.gif

Best of luck, Lulu!! I am so happy your offer got accepted and I hope things go smoothly from here on out....Congrats on the new job too, I read your other thread....Let us know how things go!!

ps- the apartment is totally adorable!! Cant wait to see more pics!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lulu, that''s great news!!! Sprinkling more fairy dust for a fast and easy closing!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
The inspection is over and turned up nothing horrific.
emstar.gif
It seems that the plumbing and electricity have all recently been replaced/updated.

DeeJay, is the road to closing typically a smooth one or more often a tad bumpy? is there anything you''d suggest we''d do to avoid any hitches?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lulu, the one biggest piece of advice I would absolutely suggest you follow is to use an attorney that specializes in real estate closings. I'm sure you're surrounded by attorneys who are willing to do your deal, but I have had to save more deals becuase someone has used their cousin who's really a County Prosecutor--but don't worry, she can do a closing no problem! Or somebody's next door neighbor who specializes in patent law, but hey, it's *JUST* a real estate closing--how tough can it be? NOT!!! Once the deal out of the hands of the agents a good real estate attorney will sheppard it to the closing table. Researching title to make sure there are no leins or encumberences against the property (you don't want to find out later that the current owner didn't pay some contractor for putting a new roof on the house and now there's a mechanic lien); having a decent relationship with the title company so they can get you a bay reserved with a good closer at a decent time (you don't want the last slot of the day--if that wire donesn't come through you're screwed); ensure that the PIN number on your transaction is actually assigned to the piece of property that you believe you're buying (yes, that's always nice to have confirmation of... ); these are all things that a real estate attorney will do for you.

When's the housewarming?!
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Lulu!!!

And I vote for the smaller firm. What''s the point of more $$ if you might burn out quickly... if you are satisfied in what you are doing you will be able to last longer at your job-- therefore making more money, IMO.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
you are so right gypsy, or at least that''s what i''m hoping! if only i had a crystal ball
2.gif
The internal struggle went something along the lines of "but what if everything at the smaller firm isn''t what i''m hoping it''ll be. what if i can''t get the interesting climate change work. if i''m going to be miserable, i might as well be getting $50K more a year" ha. and i''m not even a natural pessimist.

in the end, i took the job i felt the best about. and i''m just going to have to speak up about getting the work that i want!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad for the good news lulu on the inspection lulu!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2007 5:00:17 PM
Author: lovelylulu
you are so right gypsy, or at least that''s what i''m hoping! if only i had a crystal ball
2.gif
The internal struggle went something along the lines of ''but what if everything at the smaller firm isn''t what i''m hoping it''ll be. what if i can''t get the interesting climate change work. if i''m going to be miserable, i might as well be getting $50K more a year'' ha. and i''m not even a natural pessimist.

in the end, i took the job i felt the best about. and i''m just going to have to speak up about getting the work that i want!

Yes, and I know that the whole ''pedigree'' thing is a concern... but it sounds like the smaller firm is still very well established-- so if you want to make a lateral move TO a bigger firm with a higher salary in the future you could! Good luck!

I miss DC and have to admit I''m envious of your cute place in the middle of town.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results