shape
carat
color
clarity

Spring Gardening...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Monarch--Roses in pots in our area don't work even if you cover them because the roots freeze and thaw too much. I have had some luck with Mara's suggestion of sinking them in the ground. Putting them in the garage unless it has some heat doesn't work because the roots still do the freeze/thaw thing. The real key is consistency in temperature which is what being in the ground provides. I have also brought my pot roses into the house for the winter but unless you have a greenhouse style windows, it doesn't really work....not enough light. Honestly, if you really want roses in pots you should either put the pots in the ground in October or think of the roses in the pots as annuals...and get new ones every year.

On roses in the ground, buy the ones that are good to zone 4 (we are zone 5) and then you don't need to cover them. I don't cover my in-ground roses at all other than throwing a few leaves on top of them. I couldn't bare to look at those styrofoam cones all winter. Also, own root roses are better but if you buy grafted plant the bud union (where they put the roots and top part together) several inches BELOW the soil. Buck and Explorer roses are both good for our area. The David Austin roses like Mara has are really fussy here. The gardenweb forum is great for getting answers on which roses...just specify how much babying you are willing to do.

Ok, on to your flower beds. Are you going to sell this year in early summer? If yes, you probably should buy larger perennial plants from a local nursery. If you're not going to sell until late summer or next year Bluestone will work great. Here's my plant suggestions--ones I have personally grown in northern Indiana and have been doing well for me:

Buddelia--butterfly bushes. I love these. They really attract butterflies and bloom for a really long time. I have Nano purple and black night but I really don't think it matters. They mostly all do great...although the yellow ones seem more fussy. They have a white one in their SALE section.

CARYOPTERIS--Bluebeard. This is actually a shrub that has blueish flowers on it. Flowers last a long time.

Monarda--Super easy, bright colors--lots of choices.

Echinacea--Purple cone flowers. These look great with your rudebekia. Lots of choices. Get whichever one is on sale. They even have white variety which is nice.

Perennial Salvias--these bloom earlier than the above flowers...usually mid June-very early July for me. I like May Night and East Frieseland best.

Scabiosa--Pin cushion flowers. These are small flowers that you put near the front. They're very informal looking but they bloom almost all summer for me.

Sedum--the taller ones such as autumn joy are good for late summer early fall colors. The short ones make good front ground cover.

Thyme--my personal favorite for the front of the border. The low growing ones creep around my other plants. I have all sorts of different types. It also tolerates being walked on so it's good for edges. I have had a tough time with this from Bluestone...I would buy locally if I were you.

CENTAUREA Montana Perennial bachelor button. This spreads like crazy for me. Bees love it.

GAILLARDIA Burgundy --this is really red not burgundy. Lots of flowers and spreads well.

Perennial Geranium--not the red kind you see in pots. Johnson's Blue is good. Blooms late spring early summer. Will rebloom if you cut it back to the ground.

Lavendar--smells wonderful. In our area I've had good luck with Lavendar Lady, Hidicote and Munstead

NEPETA Walker's Low --great blue/grey plant. Plant smells sort of like mint. Attracts butterflies and bees...and CATS.

PEROVSKIA Atriplicifolia --Russian Sage--no fail bloom...gets very large so put it in back

Phlox--the taller phlox looks great mid-summer. It can get mildew which is a pain. Phlox David--white-- seems to be the least mildewy one for me.

Veronicas--upright spires...sort of looks like Salvia but blooms a bit later--I like Sunny Border Blue and Red Fox but they all seem to do well.

Coreopsis--I have Sweet Dreams and it bloomed for over 8 weeks. The yellow ones are nice too. My front flower bed is all blue/pink/purple/white so that's why I have the Sweet Dreams Coreopsis.

I'd also look into doing some of the perennial tall grasses. You're a bit more prairie than I am so it would suit your area.

If you are anywhere close to Downer's Grove, there is a fantastic nursery in that area. If you are let me know and I'll check my garden notes to get the name for you. It is good enough that I sometimes drive 2 hours to get there.

Good luck!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Monarch--Oh, I almost forgot if you do order from Bluestone be sure to get some mums. They are really small but by fall they will be as large as the ones you buy in the stores in gallon size pots. And they come back every year. Don''t forget to pinch them at least once before 4th of July so they have more blooms.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID, thank you very much for the suggestions! We probably will stay in the house through the summer and into fall, so I will get to enjoy whatever I end up planting this summer, esp. if I get some plants from a nursery... I actually live about 10 miles from Downers Grove, so if you can find the name of the nursery you recommend out there I would love to go!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay you rose growers - I have a question.

I fell in LOVE with some cut roses I got this past weekend - they're called Rosita Vendela. I haven't found a great picture online, but they're pink with white tips, white undersides - even tinges of light green. Can't find the proper description, but I'm posting a picture I found online.

Anyway, I love them and would like to *attempt* to try and grow them. However, I can't find any starter plants or seeds anywhere! But that could be because I don't know where to look. Google has brought me no luck. Any ideas? (I did already try the links mentioned in this thread.) I should also mention I know they can be grown here because some of the wholesalers I found during my google search get their Rosita Vendelas from farms in California!!

rosita vendela.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it appears this is a florists'' rose.... not available to we the public other than as a cut flower:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg1111073611051.html
and
http://www.queensflowers.com/qproduct.aspx?Id=@R
and some more to drool over along with ROSITA VENDELA http://www.qualityflowers.com/photos/rose_color/default.aspx

i''ve tried to get a start off florist roses from stems that had leaf buds that continued to grow. however, i don''t use rooting hormone and my efforts failed.

movie zombie

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Carlton Roses sells alot of florist roses to the public, but they don''t sell every variety (there are TONS out there)...

Also word of warning re growing the florist roses in your yard...about 5 years ago when I was heavy into roses, there was a rose, Leonidas which was like the most popular thing EVER. It became avail on Carlton and everyone bought it. Me too..hehee.

The florist version of the rose is something like a chocolate reddish brown with a cream inside reverse. Beautiful rose. But in the garden? It grew differently for everyone basically depending on the climate, but for me it was like a brick reddish brown, hideous! I was SO not into it. I threw it out or gave it away the next year, can''t remember. Anyway, really no one who grew it was able to replicate the reddish chocolate and cream reverse that it gets in the florist trade.

Florist roses are grown on bushes in greenhouses where the climate is monitored and very consistent. It''s not the same as growing it in an open yard, as we all found out. There are times when I see a florist rose and think OMG I want that for my yard...but then I remember my Leonidas experience and I get over it...haha.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
AHA!!! - thanks MZ and Mara. I failed to take notice of the fact that the RV is a florist''s rose....I saw those websites in my search as well but didn''t realize that this was a ''florist'' rose variety. That would explain why nobody was carrying anything other than bouquets!! Shucks. Figures I''d love something I just have to keep buying bouquets of.
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
while you can''t have that exact same rose, there are others that are very very close to it. why not give one of them a try?

movie zombie

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I may try, MZ. I need to find a variety that is close. I haven''t seen any that look so much like porcelain roses to me - with the greenish white tips they really look like they''re cast in china!

Here''s a picture with flash

rv with flash.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
and without flash

rv wo flash.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
quite lovely! may be difficult to find a substitute and said substitute may not be perfect but i have faith that any pricescoper that goes to the nth degree re diamonds will persevere and succeed!

movie zombie

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
OK... we are moving into the new place in May and DH would love to garden.. I would love some color. However, we have a LOT of tree cover and the places that DO get light... only get it for a little while during the day. For the most part everything is covered by the tall trees. We do have some beautiful Azelea bushes that seem fine... I know they will bloom color. But I am scared about the lack of sunlight from the trees... Any suggestions.

I love roses, but I know we don;t get enough light here. Hubby and I always go down to the Chapel Hill Rose gardens.... Yummm... it is so beautiful

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
is cutting down some trees an option? i know that may seem like heresy......

shade gardening is possible but more difficult, imo. there are lots of books on the subject...and info online if you do a search. here''s one for a start: http://www.lewisgardens.com/shade.htm

searching just for ''shade gardens'' turns up lots of info.

hostas are interesting and provide some nice texture...and snails also love them.

in my past research on shade gardening, i found there is shade and then there is SHADE. a good book will break out everything between dappled, light shade to dark shade. some plants will do good with some shade but not with ''dark'' shade.

forget the roses and any sun loving plant. my experience is that sun loving plants just get ''leggy'' and look unattractive.

and don''t forget ferns!

movie zombie

ps congratulations on your new home and your move in may!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
WOW.. thanks for the sources and info MZ... I am going to spend a lot of time looking all this over. I cannot wait to get started and I cannot wait for it to be done...LOL

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine, as a homeowner it is never ''done''.......:) welcome to the club! and happy gardening. oh, and its ok to start slow and just get a few plants that make you feel good.......

movie zombie

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m so not a shade garden person, i have tried it in some ares and the plants just do not appeal to me, it''s too ''cool'' of a look. i would die if i couldn''t have sun loving roses...i would totally cut trees down, hehee.

how much sun do the exposed areas of the yard get? depending on how ''strong'' your sun is, you can get away with growing roses with about 4 hours of sun a day as long as it''s very strong sun, aka afternoon sun or you live in a hot climate. but if you don''t get 4 hours of strong sun or afternoon sun then i would probably not go for roses, but if you get 2-3 hours of medium sun or similar then i would check out some ''partial sun'' plants on bluestoneperennials.com and see what they have.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Mara - Your roses/flowers are my inspiration! I have never had much of a green thumb, but, darn it I''m gonna try! We are moving into a new house in 2 mos. The exterior is called "Costal Colonial" so what kind of plants would you picture there? Roses of course...And maybe some Gardenias and Hydrangeas! Where did you find much of your info.?... The web? ... Books?... Instincts???

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miranda, I have been gardening for years, so I think you just pick up things after trying and failing or trying and succeeding at things! But books were very helpful (I have tons!) as is the internet, I also love www.gardenweb.com because there''s lots of knowledgeable people there on all things gardening and they answer Q''s and help out newbies, much like PS does for diamonds and other things...

Oooh Coastal...definitely roses and lots of floppy old roses, and maybe some new english roses too, definitely hydrangeas, i''d even do stuff like lavendar and soft blues..yum!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, it''s been a long time since I last posted on this thread, but I wanted to give you an update as you were so helpful when I was wondering about roses!
9.gif
I have decided to forgo them for now due to the fact that we are taking on some home improvement projects this summer and I want to be able to devote my full attention to them in the next house we move into. I went to gardenweb and found some very useful info on butterfly gardens, and I would like to plant one on the side of our house (also the most visible and sunny) this year. As you can see from my screenname and avatar, I love butterflies...my father has an obsession with monarchs in particular (the day I got married they were migrating back south and were all over during our outside ceremony, to my dad''s delight!) Since I now live 5 hours north of my parents and don''t see them often, this will be a way for me to keep them in mind and feel close to my dad, and give us something to talk about on those random phone convos. I promise to post pics as my project comes into fruition!

On a side note, which you avid gardeners may find of interest: when DH and I finally find our dream house where we intend to stay and raise children (if we are blessed with them), I will be planting some of my parents'' iris. They have several varieties of antiques which they figure are over 100 years old...my mother transplanted them into their gardens from bulbs she dug up from behind their restaurant. The restaurant is a 24 hour diner/truck stop in southern Indiana, the remaining one out of three drive-ins that were built by my grandfather. The land behind the remaining restaurant is about 3 acres of wooded land with a pond complete with snapping turtles, and tons of iris, black-eyed Susans (rudbeckia?), lilies-of-the-valley, etc, planted by a neighboring resident long ago. How fun it will be to tell our children, family, and friends the story of how the flowers came to live in northern Illinois!

Mara, thanks again for the links and great advice. May your roses always fluorish and be blackspot-free!
35.gif
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for updating me Monarch, I was kind of wondering where you were with the garden planning!! Roses can always wait...but once you get hooked on them you will always need to have them! Can't wait to hear more about your butterfly garden!!

I actually just took some shots today of the 'garden'...we've had so much rain that this sunny weekend was a godsend...and I used the opportunity to plant a bit more color around the patio since I am still waiting for the roses to begin blooming (should be in the next 3 weeks or so!) though I have had a few sneak blooms here and there.

So here is a corner near our entry/door, I re-did the spanish moss wire planter yesterday with some annuals, the last time I did it was 2 years ago and I just kind of kept throwing more plants in there but the spanish moss was old and gray so I decided a whole fresh start was in order. It looks pretty spiffy and this area of the door is so pretty with all the spring color. I am so in love with those orange violas, I had never seen orange before and they are a wonderful creamsicle orange color. I go wild with violas during the early spring because they last a long time, flower for me well into summer and are great as underplantings.

hope everyone else is experiencing some form of garden happiness!!!

garden 0306 b.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is another corner of the patio, also where my mini crabtree is as well, i hope it flowers this spring, its stunning!...this area is mostly greenery right now but I like waiting for all the big blooms to happen. This area also gets more shade typically during the hot summers.

garden 0306 a.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is a cool shot of one of my fave flowers mixed with some purple nemesia, my yellow freesia, they smell so divine!!! spicy almost. they are underplantings on some of my roses...waiting waiting waiting for some rose blooms!

garden 0306 ca.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and last but never least, the princess rat (newly bathed) snuffling amongst the flowers....

garden 0306 snout.jpg

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Well Spring sprung here in the South East about three weeks ago. All the flowers and trees were blooming. Then it snowed this weekend. Unbelievable. All those goregeous flowers will be gone now. At least I can see some on PS.
20.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 8:30:01 PM
Author: Mara
Miranda, I have been gardening for years, so I think you just pick up things after trying and failing or trying and succeeding at things! But books were very helpful (I have tons!) as is the internet, I also love www.gardenweb.com because there''s lots of knowledgeable people there on all things gardening and they answer Q''s and help out newbies, much like PS does for diamonds and other things...

Oooh Coastal...definitely roses and lots of floppy old roses, and maybe some new english roses too, definitely hydrangeas, i''d even do stuff like lavendar and soft blues..yum!
Thanks for the tips!! I''m starting my binder with yard ideas. We''re having a yard designer design it and then we''ll do all the planting.

Your new pics are great! Such purty plants...And doggie!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
So how is everyone''s garden coming this spring???

We have finally started to get more sunny days and less rain so my buds on my roses are about to POP...I am so ready. As soon as it happens I will post some pictures.

Anyone else with exciting garden things about to happen?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2006 1:42:00 PM
Author: Mara
So how is everyone''s garden coming this spring???
Anyone else with exciting garden things about to happen?

I only grow herbs :(.

Deb
34.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay i got some new garden pictures from this week....finally things are happening now that the rain has stopped!!

i''ve got buds!

garden 2006 buds.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results