carat
color
clarity

Spring Cleaning

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Is this a thing for anyone? Does anyone have a routine they attribute to Spring Cleaning?

I am wondering if those folks working from home have just been cleaning all along since they spending more hours in the house.

I tend too buy new pillows every Spring. ( I change my sons more often as he just wrecks them ??). Also I buy new bedding in lighter colors to reflect the long sunny days.

Certainly tire change comes soon and cleaning out the rocks from the garage; but in all fairness this gets kept up with all winter, otherwise it is way to much in Spring. Garage floor gets washed out. Cars matts swapped out and washed. Inside car wash.

Window washing for sure. In and out. Wash my drop shag carpets.

Anyone else?

cheers--Sharon

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
HI:

Is this a thing for anyone? Does anyone have a routine they attribute to Spring Cleaning?

I am wondering if those folks working from home have just been cleaning all along since they spending more hours in the house.

I tend too buy new pillows every Spring. ( I change my sons more often as he just wrecks them ??). Also I buy new bedding in lighter colors to reflect the long sunny days.

Certainly tire change comes soon and cleaning out the rocks from the garage; but in all fairness this gets kept up with all winter, otherwise it is way to much in Spring. Garage floor gets washed out. Cars matts swapped out and washed. Inside car wash.

Window washing for sure. In and out. Wash my drop shag carpets.

Anyone else?

cheers--Sharon

I take down the window screens and wash them after "pollen season" -- which typically runs March through May. I also clean the windows inside and out. The amount of tree pollen we get is unbelievable. It covers everything in yellow.

My other spring cleaning tradition is washing down the front porch, rockers, and table (also to remove pollen). Then I put pillows on the rockers and add outdoor rugs to spruce things up.

I just realized I do nothing different indoors -- it's all outside since we spend so much time on the porch and back patio when the weather is nice!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
No special routine for spring cleaning; I tend to clean, organize, and purge year round. The longer days and nicer weather definitely get us out in the yard more. Nothing formal but we tend to do a lot more gardening and outer home maintenance once the weather gets nice.

DiamondGal28

Rough_Rock
We do a lot of spring clean-up both outdoors and inside. I also use spring time as an opportunity to do an annual purge.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here labour weekend is in late October (mid spring) so its when most people get stuck into the garden and home big time, either with renovations and major DIY projects or just yearly maintenance and spring cleaning

its Autumn here right now and ive been concentrating on washing blankets/ duvets etc getting ready for winter
All has gone well
But does anyone know how its best to wash cat sick off an old woolen army blanket ?

We mostly keep the blanket for things like moving furniture and we are not short of warm bed covers but its still in really really good condition as an actual blanket and my grandad brought it home after ww2

(I hate the thought of anyone staying at my house being cold)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We do a lot of spring clean-up both outdoors and inside. I also use spring time as an opportunity to do an annual purge.

What do you purge? Clothing? household items? I tend to purge all year long, but do very specific cleaning stuff in Spring and Fall.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I live somewhere where it's warm pretty much all year round. Our winter is usually maybe two months and then the weather heats up again. So, spring cleaning is not really a thing. Although we do tend to do things in cycles. But mostly outside, instead of inside.

We always have the trees done usually three times a year outside, corresponding with hurricane season starting. Usually in March or thereabouts is when we would update mulch outside, before it get really warm.

I typically go through clothing and household items before Christmas, and then usually sometime in March or April, and then in the summer for donation.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here labour weekend is in late October (mid spring) so its when most people get stuck into the garden and home big time, either with renovations and major DIY projects or just yearly maintenance and spring cleaning

its Autumn here right now and ive been concentrating on washing blankets/ duvets etc getting ready for winter
All has gone well
But does anyone know how its best to wash cat sick off an old woolen army blanket ?

We mostly keep the blanket for things like moving furniture and we are not short of warm bed covers but its still in really really good condition as an actual blanket and my grandad brought it home after ww2

(I hate the thought of anyone staying at my house being cold)

I would recommend cold water wash. Thing is wool is so heavy and it would throw your machine out of balance and handwashing would be a bugger. I suppose you could dry clean it.

Could you wash it outdoors, on the deck with a hose and brush? Leave it out to airdry? We have Hudson Bay blankets that have been tucked away for ages. They are so beautiful and warm, and heavy!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would recommend cold water wash. Thing is wool is so heavy and it would throw your machine out of balance and handwashing would be a bugger. I suppose you could dry clean it.

Could you wash it outdoors, on the deck with a hose and brush? Leave it out to airdry? We have Hudson Bay blankets that have been tucked away for ages. They are so beautiful and warm, and heavy!

I like the outdoor idea, thank you

if the bathroom was closer to the backdoor I'd hand wash it in the bath but last time i washed the mattress protector/ quilted topper in there it was a nightmare getting it across the hall, through the lounge, across the kitchen and out the back door

those painful 9 months i worked in a fabric shop i learnt how to wash wool without it turning to felt (we saw the saddest things with lovingly hand stitched baby quilts with wool batting made by grandma just thrown into a washing machine by a new mum too busy to have the time or energy to know better)

I'll watch the forcast closely and hang it on the clothesline and hand wash the bits that need it, and leave it out over a couple of days with a warm night inbetween
the sun is a great sanatizer

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the outdoor idea, thank you

if the bathroom was closer to the backdoor I'd hand wash it in the bath but last time i washed the mattress protector/ quilted topper in there it was a nightmare getting it across the hall, through the lounge, across the kitchen and out the back door

those painful 9 months i worked in a fabric shop i learnt how to wash wool without it turning to felt (we saw the saddest things with lovingly hand stitched baby quilts with wool batting made by grandma just thrown into a washing machine by a new mum too busy to have the time or energy to know better)

I'll watch the forcast closely and hang it on the clothesline and hand wash the bits that need it, and leave it out over a couple of days with a warm night inbetween
the sun is a great sanatizer

Yes, the sun is great. Would be great to have a mangle but who the heck has one of those these days....

Also, laundromats often have industrial strength machines. I take my washable floor rugs there.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, the sun is great. Would be great to have a mangle but who the heck has one of those these days....

Last time i saw one of those was when i was 10 at school swimming at the Anderson's bay school pool - a girl got her hair stuck in it

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last time i saw one of those was when i was 10 at school swimming at the Anderson's bay school pool - a girl got her hair stuck in it

My Mom inherited her Mom's. very useful.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They DO get dusty and greasy, so I try to keep all my metal springs clean all year long.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing specific for spring but I do swap my wardrobe over twice a year (clean, fold & store winter woolies etc in top cupboard and vice versa) this usually prompts a purge overall and I end up donating stuff to Vinnies (op shops). I'm fairly ruthless generally!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nothing specific for spring but I do swap my wardrobe over twice a year (clean, fold & store winter woolies etc in top cupboard and vice versa) this usually prompts a purge overall and I end up donating stuff to Vinnies (op shops). I'm fairly ruthless generally!

This would never happen down here
Being two long islands in the middle of the ocean with nothing in the Pacific/southern ocean between here and South America or Antarctica we regularly get 4 seasons in one day !
The minute i move even one coat or jacket out of the hall cupboard a cold front/ tropical cyclone/ super storm arrives !

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you come wash my windows? :pray:

Of course!

I'll recommend our professional service.:razz::bigsmile:

Now that is out of the way, we'll be over shortly for cocktails. And supper. I promise to bring my head. :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes. We have such distinct seasons, I find the change over formidable. Not kidding we have 20 fall/winter coats between us. That isn't including wool/cashmere sweaters that would be another 20 x 2 that requires cleaning.

I wear long sleeved, light weight, cotton shirts under my work clothing during the fall/winter months. They've served their purpose and now , I am ruthless.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would never happen down here
Being two long islands in the middle of the ocean with nothing in the Pacific/southern ocean between here and South America or Antarctica we regularly get 4 seasons in one day !
The minute i move even one coat or jacket out of the hall cupboard a cold front/ tropical cyclone/ super storm arrives !

Oh yeah I've made that mistake! Coats stay out just in case. :lol:

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don’t normally do indoor spring cleaning but we do things for outside the house when the weather is nicer. We put out the furniture, clean and touch up the deck, clean up the yard, cut down any shrubs, plant new stuff, and mulch.
This year I’m having someone come to powerwash the house, paint the trim on the doors, windows and garage and paint the shutters and front door. I’m also having someone come out to clean our windows and glass doors. They do the sills, screens, and both inside and outside. They are very reasonably priced as well.
I do need to clean out my garage and basement. When we moved here last March we kind of dumped everything wherever we felt like it (more so my husband than myself) so I want to get storage containers and just organize both areas.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideally I do this all year long. On an as needed basis vs during a specific season.

I am not as organized as my DH who does spring clean all year long. He gets rid of/donates clothes to make room for new clothes and he gets rid of/donates things he doesn't use any more. I am not as successful as he is at doing this but not for lack of trying and yes I am in the middle of doing this right now. But it has nothing to do with Spring per se and more to do with I have to make room in my closets for new arrivals. :)

Greg also cleans all our windows every season.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We get our windows cleaned every month, and in ‘normal’ times, before every trip, the house would get an even better clean than usual, which included wet wiping all the woodwork, including skirting boards, doors and frames and bannisters.

We try to sort through our clothes at least once a year and donate good quality clothing to charity.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We get our windows cleaned every month

Ooh, can you please send your guy over here 8)

It takes Greg four hours to clean the windows in Brooklyn and five hours at the beach house.:o

windowleaning.gif

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! It is a yearly ritual for me. Every room in the house gets washed down from top to bottom. One room at a time. Furniture gets moved and dusted, walls get washed, windows get a thorough cleaning, baseboards and vents get cleaned. Stored items get pitched and closets, drawers and dressers get re-organized.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! It is a yearly ritual for me. Every room in the house gets washed down from top to bottom. One room at a time. Furniture gets moved and dusted, walls get washed, windows get a thorough cleaning, baseboards and vents get cleaned. Stored items get pitched and closets, drawers and dressers get re-organized.

Wow! You are very organized!!! Good for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results