shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel: Maroon or Burgundy

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
Could seone help me with determining the coloring of this stone? I have this spinel and am trying to define the color. When I purchased it, they called it pink-red, which I guess I can see. I've been having trouble lately with color, especially losing blue hues, so would miss any in there. I am always envious when people can say something is x-color; what's this in just a simple color term? I want to set it in a six-prong solitaire, and cannot determine which metal would compliment it best- so suggestions are appreciated.

pixlr_20200225135444433_20200225140807690.jpg

As always, I am sorry for my poor camera skills and dry, wrinkled hands.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Maroon has a brownish cast. Burgundy is purplish. I see neither brown nor purple in your photos. Therefore my description is a saturated pink-red with extinction.

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. I see more brown & rust in it, but like I mentioned my eyes are broken and I've been missing the mark on color lately. I know my rubies are more pink red, but this only has a ruby appearance when it's against black. It is very garnet like with the blackout areas, but I've confirmed it's spinel.

IDK, I wish I could just throw it in a color analysis box. I just can't pin it down enough to commit to a setting color I like. Maybe I should just try to find a black one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results