shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel cut as AVC?

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
As I continue contemplating stones for my future ering, I have been drawn to many rings with AVC cut diamonds, but know that I want a pale lavender spinel. For example, I adore the ring that renogirl just posted in SMTB with french cut sides (and all of the rings with french cut sides by Leon/Victor that have been posted over time), and think I would love it with a lavender centre stone.

I was hoping that those of you with better knowledge of gemology might chime in to offer their opinion as to how a spinel might handle light with such a cut. It feels like I waver daily over whether I want something with an oval, AVC style cushion, or radiant... good thing I have lots of time to figure this out!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Petit - I think your biggest challenge would be finding someone who cuts spinels in that shape? Perhaps someone more experienced in the field could help.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
dragonfly411,
Thanks for your post. I agree- I have also thought that if that stone/cut combo worked really well then I might have seen one before... which naively leads me to believe that it might not be great- but I'm still somewhat optimistic enough to wonder out loud about it.
If I find out that it might be exceptionally difficult to find a stone/find someone who could cut one, or if it wouldn't perform that well then it will help me narrow down my wish list :cheeky:

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
eee! I think I would just about die if I ever saw one! :love:

What I would suggest is making a little folder on your computer and saving a bunch of pictures to it of colors and shapes you like. Then you can hone in on shape/color/size etc. Get a budget in mind, and contact different vendors with your idea. You have pictures of what you're thinking of, so you can send them those and they'll get an even better idea of what you're looking for. Everyone I ever contacted was really nice and knowledgeable. They might be able to suggest a different cut still in the cushion shape that might work better for a spinel, or a particular rough that they have.

Good luck and happy hunting!!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Isn't the AVC trademarked? So you would have to go through GOG's cutter if you wanted it?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
The AVC is a branded cut, as herekittykitty pointed out. My suggestion would be to contact one of the precision cutters and ask him/her to help you locate the right size and color spinel rough, and then have it cut into a cushion shape. The AVC is cut to maximize the optical properties of diamonds. A cutter who is experienced in colored stones will cut the spinel to maximize its optical properties and color. I'd suggest Jeff White, because the man knows how to cut a superb cushion.

http://www.whitesgems.com

And I love the idea of a spinel in one of Victor Canera's settings with French cuts!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Jeff White cut the round sapphire that I have for my e-ring, and it's a beauty. I have no cushions from him though

I DO have a cushion from Gay Braun at Finewater gems though . A yellow Zircon cut in what he called a "Square Cushion Stacked Barion" and man oh man! :love: he would be another good one to contact. http://www.finewatergems.com/index.html

I've never bought from this site, but a lot of people have been really happy with his faceting, and he did at one time seem to have quite a few spinels. http://www.precisiongem.com/index.html

another popular site is this http://www.acstones.com/default.asp , seems like a lot of people were getting spinels from him for awhile, how about this for lavender/pink?! http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=139&idproduct=3864

It can take some time, a lot of time, or the stars might be aligned just right and it will happen very quick. You never know. I really hope you can find something that makes your heart sing! :bigsmile:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doug at Bespoke does a Victoria cut that reminds me very much of an AVC. He does requests, and also I'm sure you could email Michael E or Peter T. I know I've seen Peter do the Victoria, and I'm not sure if Michael does or not but I know he'll do requests. Never hurts to put feelers out and ask!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
kas baby, thanks for the links and suggestions. I have a bookmarks folder as per the BFs request, since he wants to keep up to date on what I'm drawn to, even though I told him that once I have a better idea of what I like I'll fill him in and get his opinion. The colour you linked to is pretty close- I told the BF that I want the colour of "grape gatorade", so even a little bit less saturated than that stone would be what I'm looking for.

herekittykitty and Aoife, I had completely forgotten about that, so thanks for reminding me. I've been doing so much research about coloured stones that I haven't learned all the ins and outs of diamond stuff. I guess I want more of an antique cut, and will just need to see if that will really showcase a spinel to its best light.

packrat, thanks for the suggestions! I was just looking at Doug's site, and I love the diagrams of the different cuts he has posted. The BF's an engineer, so I might show him those... could be a fun way for him to contribute his "technical expertise" to the e-ring process. I liked the victoria cut a lot, and the barion old mine looks like it could be really neat! I'll have to ask for a photo of an actual gem to see how the drawing looks irl.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the Victoria cut by Doug from Bespoke and think it looks quite similar to the AVC. I'm sure Doug would be only to happy to help you find what you need. Love your idea for your ring!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Swala had some very nice purple/lavender spinels with medium saturation.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should look at Barry B's cushion cuts.

The question that I'm wondering about is how big of a stone you want?

1235107.jpg

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
HotPozzum, it's always helpful to hear a personal endorsement and comparison! I sent Doug an email to see what he thinks.

pregcurious, thanks for the recommendation! I'll take a look :)

Freke, that's a beautiful stone! I'm still a total newbie at this stuff, but I've read some threads about how tough it can be to get Barry's stones due to their popularity... does that only apply to certain kinds of stones? I think I'm looking for something between 7 and 8 mm. I don't want something that will stick up too high, and I know cushions are a deep cut so I think that's a good compromise of finger coverage and practicality. Plus if I do go for the french sides style of ring then I want to be able to show them off as well.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You'd have to ask Barry for him to custom cut something. It's only hard if you try to get a stone that he posts to his website.

Having said that, it's hard to find spinel to cut a 7-8mm stone...I believe the stone in the rough would have to be about 9-12cts and the right shape...not to mention the right color.

It never hurts to ask though!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild said:
You'd have to ask Barry for him to custom cut something. It's only hard if you try to get a stone that he posts to his website.

Having said that, it's hard to find spinel to cut a 7-8mm stone...I believe the stone in the rough would have to be about 9-12cts and the right shape...not to mention the right color.

It never hurts to ask though!

Hmm... good point about the size. I keep forgetting that it will seem bigger set a little bit away from my finger and once metal is around it, so probably 6. something and up would be perfect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results