shape
carat
color
clarity

spider/cob webs all over

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I don''t understand it. They are everywhere. It is not as if we are slobs and never clean. I sweep and mop the kitchen twice a week and every time I do, there are webs under the bottoms of the cabinets with little spiders and dead bugs stuck in the webs. It is so disgusting! How can this be happening in just a few days? This is not an old house. My husband built it himself about 6 or 7 years ago. He is not a builder per se, but he knows alot. We do live in the country so I know that there is a chance for more critters than if we lived in a more populated area. Is there something I can do? I would prefer not to use chemicals since I do have two kitties and don''t want to make them sick. Does anyone else have this problem? I just don''t understand how I can clean the house twice a week and in between there are probably 5 new webs with dead bugs every time.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The spiders that make cobwebs are quick little things. A cobweb can appear overnight. It really has nothing to do with how clean our house is, but rather what is living there with you.

There is a wide variety of cobwebbing spiders. They don''t make regular spider webs but rather string their webbing with no pattern.

One of the common cob webbers is the black widow although their webs generally have an opening that looks like a tunnel. Black widows are prolific in the country and they have no problem using your house too. They prefer dark and sheltered places like under cabinets or in attics.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
We''re having the same problem. There are spiders everywhere. On any day I''ll find 5 or 6 around the house. It''s awful. We have an exterminator coming this week.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
It seems like this summer/fall has been the worst yet. You think an exterminator will help? How long does an exterminators exterminating work for? Is this something that needs to be done every year? I thought about getting those things that you plug in that supposed to emit a kind of high pitched noise that critters don''t like, but I heard that they are a scam. I don''t mind the spiders. They are tiny. Big spiders I kill, but the ones making the webs are liitle so they don''t bother me too much, and the webs aren''t that bothersome either it is all the dead bugs caught in the webs that grosses me out. We seem to have water bugs. Sometimes I see them. They are dumb little creatures. They will walk around in cricles for hours. Anyway, they are usually what I find in these webs. Urrggghh.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
We use a DIY spray. I think it''s supposed to be used every 3 or 4 months around the interior of the house and the exterior of windows and doors. We get it at our local hardware store and it''s odor free and doesn''t stain. There are several brands that are not harmful to children or pets.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
we have the same issue--elaborate huge webs outside the house in corners (on mailbox) which DH swipes down, but then it''s back within days. I wonder if this means there is a nest somewhere and if I need an exterminator..

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same here. We basically live in the woods, surrounded by trees. We''ve only been here for a year, but I''ve seen A LOT of spiders. Recently, we''ve had some huge spiders making their homes in between the interior and exterior windows. The one I saw yesterday, I don''t even want to think about!! Its body is quite massive, maybe 1/2 inch around, but really substantial with legs that were curled in . . . eww, it was brownish/black with striped legs! Anyone know what this is? I''m afraid to look it up!

I hadn''t considered an exterminator before. I don''t know that we would use one. It was our choice to live in the country, but at the same time, I am freaked out by these larger ones!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
well we''re in the burbs (not country just yet) and i''ve seen some in between exterior and interior windows too, very icky. I have a LO so not crazy about chemicals either, but keep wondering if there''s millions of eggs under the house or something-. It also makes the house look unmaintained...webs all over the place...and a few times I''ve seen spiders in the house.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
we have pest control monthly which cost us about $35 (sometimes we go through two months before calling them) they work until the chemicals are all gone, we used to have ear wigs, scorpions, and black widows, lots of little spiders here and there. The black widows have been outside, and I have found three in the last seven months. The area that we moved to has only been around for about ten years, and because it is still consider a new area and development we have basically uprooted these critters and somehow have found a way inside our home
39.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
The little boxes with the high pitched whine actually do work, except you have to make sure you get the right kind and have it in the right place. My brother has a lot of scorpions - living in the desert, it''s a downside - and they put in some of these and haven''t seen a single one for months.

Is it a space your kitties can get to, or do you have to stick the broom way under the cabinet edge to get to the webs? If the kitties can''t reach it, pop a mothball under there. It will keep them out. But if the kitties can reach it, I wouldn''t - indoor kitties don''t always know what they should/should not eat lol.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/21/2009 12:05:25 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
The little boxes with the high pitched whine actually do work, except you have to make sure you get the right kind and have it in the right place. My brother has a lot of scorpions - living in the desert, it''s a downside - and they put in some of these and haven''t seen a single one for months.

Is it a space your kitties can get to, or do you have to stick the broom way under the cabinet edge to get to the webs? If the kitties can''t reach it, pop a mothball under there. It will keep them out. But if the kitties can reach it, I wouldn''t - indoor kitties don''t always know what they should/should not eat lol.
MP- what are these? and where do you get it? I get nervous as my little one is still crawling around TIA!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Yeah the kitties could get to the moth balls. I don''t think that they would eat them so much as play with them so that they would no longer be where I wanted them to be.

Part of me wonders if we had a newer better built house if it would lessen the problem, but it seems that this is an issue for alot of people. I would die if I had scorpions in my house! Then again, I wouldn''t live in scorpion country. Thanks for alll the suggestions. I think I will try the at home treatments first and if that doesn''t work I will call the professionals.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
let us know if you find something that works radiant! Our house is older but i think it has more to do with the woods'' proximity. My parents house is over 200 years old and they have other critters but not spiders!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
We have the same problem & it''s the grossest thing ever. It doesn''t matter how clean the house is we have lots of spiders here, always have. Mostly we have wolf/brown spiders which are big but lately I have been seeing a lot of black widows in the house which I have never seen inside before. It''s to the point that if this house doesn''t sell by the end of the year I''m moving out & my husband can stay, I''ve had enough. A few weeks ago there was a small lizard in the house which either my cat brought or it got in because my daughter left the doors open anyway I told my husband to leave it to eat the spiders, ha (I let it out). We spray often outside but only once a year inside. With spiders I don''t think they are as easy to kill because they don''t clean themselves like a roach.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
re: kitties and moth balls - the kitties will NOT like the moth balls. We had feral cats jumping up on our porch to taunt our indoor kitties, and I put moth balls out there. Haven''t seen a cat since. To test the moth balls before I put them out, I waved ''em under my kitty''s chin, and he flattened his ears and recoiled. They do NOT like those things.

At places like target, you can get mothballs that are in a cake and then enclosed in a plastic hanger. This is what I use, so nothing can actually eat the mothballs/they can''t stain or make a mess, but the scent still does the trick.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/22/2009 10:37:06 AM
Author: VegasAngel
We have the same problem & it''s the grossest thing ever. It doesn''t matter how clean the house is we have lots of spiders here, always have. Mostly we have wolf/brown spiders which are big but lately I have been seeing a lot of black widows in the house which I have never seen inside before. It''s to the point that if this house doesn''t sell by the end of the year I''m moving out & my husband can stay, I''ve had enough. A few weeks ago there was a small lizard in the house which either my cat brought or it got in because my daughter left the doors open anyway I told my husband to leave it to eat the spiders, ha (I let it out). We spray often outside but only once a year inside. With spiders I don''t think they are as easy to kill because they don''t clean themselves like a roach.
O.M.G. I just googled wolf spider.
6.gif
32.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 11:10:34 AM
Author: Loves Vintage

6.gif
32.gif
Ha, yeah they are nasty looking.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Wolf spiders are awful. That is what we get too. I call them big nasties. As in "DH get in here, there is a big nasty on the kitchen floor!". The other day I came home from work and there was a big nasty corpse on the bathroom floor. I asked why it was there and he said that he killed it, but left it there so that I would see what a good husband he was for killing it for me. Can you believe that?! A good husband would have said "Honey, we have spiders the size of small rodents we are moving!"

Anyway, I live in the Northeast and have wolf spiders where are you, vegas that you have wolf spiders and lizards? I thought lizards lived in the south and wolf spiders lived in the north.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
20.gif

Date: 9/22/2009 5:24:28 PM
Author: radiantquest
Wolf spiders are awful. That is what we get too. I call them big nasties. As in ''DH get in here, there is a big nasty on the kitchen floor!''. The other day I came home from work and there was a big nasty corpse on the bathroom floor. I asked why it was there and he said that he killed it, but left it there so that I would see what a good husband he was for killing it for me. Can you believe that?! A good husband would have said ''Honey, we have spiders the size of small rodents we are moving!''

Anyway, I live in the Northeast and have wolf spiders where are you, vegas that you have wolf spiders and lizards? I thought lizards lived in the south and wolf spiders lived in the north.
LOL, too funny! When it comes to killing spiders I have to tell my husband to run not walk & he''ll ask stupid questions like which shoe to kill it with, does it really matter?
20.gif

I live in Vegas/Mojave Desert
9.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Duh, I can''t believe that I didn''t put that together. I feel really stupid now. Well anyway, now that I know I am surprised that you have wolf spiders there. I thought they liked wooded areas. I can''t imagine there are too many of those in the desert.

That is very funny that he will ask you what shoe to kill it with.

My husband has these sandals that he wears and they are made from a mold and they have big holes on the bottoms. I was wearing them on the porch the other day and saw a big nasty and went to kill it in this sandal and of course forgot about the holes in the stupid sandal so after stomping like 4 times and gross spider still living because of the holes from the mold was able to escape. I was so mad at those sandals I almost threw them away.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 6:40:40 PM
Duh, I can''t believe that I didn''t put that together. I feel really stupid now. Well anyway, now that I know I am surprised that you have wolf spiders there. I thought they liked wooded areas. I can''t imagine there are too many of those in the desert.

That is very funny that he will ask you what shoe to kill it with.

My husband has these sandals that he wears and they are made from a mold and they have big holes on the bottoms. I was wearing them on the porch the other day and saw a big nasty and went to kill it in this sandal and of course forgot about the holes in the stupid sandal so after stomping like 4 times and gross spider still living because of the holes from the mold was able to escape. I was so mad at those sandals I almost threw them away.
Well I call the brown ones wolf spiders I think that is what they are. What I do know is they are brown, big & run fast as heck like they know they are about to die.
27.gif
My screen name, wish I could change it. I''m not good at coming up with clever names.
emembarrassed.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
OOhhh I wish I had not opened this thread. I hate spiders and have problems with them sometimes too. It seems to be certain times of the year.

The worst are the furry spiders . Eeewww.

Black widows in the house? thats awful.

The other day I went around and got the cobwebs out of the ceiling corners with a swiffer extended handle thingy.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
furry spiders?
face3.gif
ugh..

i once saw a big black one on a glass in the ktichen (which magnified him)--scared the bejesus out of me. I wonder if it was a black widow.

i guess no real way to get rid of these things--to me if a web goes back up w/in 24hrs (and looks the same as the previous one), that''s a problem. Our mailbox is ready for halloween without us even trying!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 11:13:09 AM
Author: janinegirly
furry spiders?
face3.gif
ugh..

i once saw a big black one on a glass in the ktichen (which magnified him)--scared the bejesus out of me. I wonder if it was a black widow.

i guess no real way to get rid of these things--to me if a web goes back up w/in 24hrs (and looks the same as the previous one), that''s a problem. Our mailbox is ready for halloween without us even trying!
If it was big than it was not a black widow. They are actually small.

We have several. Big blackies- gross and hairy. Big nasties- wolf spiders. Fuzzy jumpers- little mostly black with a little white, furry, but will jump right on you!

Then there are the ones that must be related the the daddy long leggers but have a bulby butts. Then there are the little ones that I let live and build the little webs that started this whole thread.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
bulby butts and spiders that jump are gross things for me to have to just learned existed,ugh! Could be worse, friend of mine had a roach fly right towards her while I was on the phone with her (in NYC).

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Roaches fly? What is the world coming to?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/22/2009 12:00:25 PM

We have the same problem & it's the grossest thing ever. It doesn't matter how clean the house is we have lots of spiders here, always have. Mostly we have wolf/brown spiders which are big but lately I have been seeing a lot of black widows in the house which I have never seen inside before. It's to the point that if this house doesn't sell by the end of the year I'm moving out & my husband can stay, I've had enough. A few weeks ago there was a small lizard in the house which either my cat brought or it got in because my daughter left the doors open anyway I told my husband to leave it to eat the spiders, ha (I let it out). We spray often outside but only once a year inside. With spiders I don't think they are as easy to kill because they don't clean themselves like a roach.
6.gif
32.gif
I just killed one on our granite sink (bathroom) with babies on its back!!! gross!!!
14.gif
the babies flew off, and I didn't know what to do but sprayed 409 all over and then had to wipe it up... it blended into our granite sooo well

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 12:34:29 PM

Date: 9/23/2009 11:13:09 AM
Author: janinegirly
furry spiders?
face3.gif
ugh..

If it was big than it was not a black widow. They are actually small.

We have several. Big blackies- gross and hairy. Big nasties- wolf spiders. Fuzzy jumpers- little mostly black with a little white, furry, but will jump right on you!

Then there are the ones that must be related the the daddy long leggers but have a bulby butts. Then there are the little ones that I let live and build the little webs that started this whole thread.
What do you consider small because all the black widows I have seen are not small
32.gif
lol I''m googling spiders & the brown spiders we have don''t seem to be wolf spiders so I don''t know what the heck they are.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 5:30:45 PM
Author: D&T

Date: 9/22/2009 12:00:25 PM

6.gif
32.gif
I just killed one on our granite sink (bathroom) with babies on its back!!! gross!!!
14.gif
the babies flew off, and I didn''t know what to do but sprayed 409 all over and then had to wipe it up... it blended into our granite sooo well

Eeeew.
23.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Ewww baby spiders omg!

If I am not mistaken, you can find the boxes with the whine at places like Home Depot? I have never bought one, but I bet you could find them online.

If you have a crawl space under your house, it''s good to put the mothballs under there, too. My grandma lived in a really old trailer in the middle of the desert, far away from people, but she tossed mothballs under her house every couple months and never had a single spider or bug in her house.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results