shape
carat
color
clarity

spaghetti squash

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
I bought a spaghetti squash today. I''ve never cooked one before in my life.

Are they anything like spaghetti? Or are they as much like spaghetti as tofu is like chicken? Am I going to be horribly disappointed by something that ends up like stringy zucchini?

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
It is definitely squash, but once cooked has the stringy consistency of spaghetti.
It has a wonderful flavor though.

Here''s a fun way to cook it:

Slice the squash in half. scoop out seeds leaving a hollow bowl.
place 1 Tbsp. butter in each half and back at 350 for an hour.

Once soft, scoop the shredded squash into a dish add your choice of seasonings:
salt and pepper
curry and seasoned salt
grated parmesean cheese and steamed brocolli
brown sugar and cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg
spaghetti sauce (not too bad if you add sauteed mushrooms or cubed chicken and melted parmesean cheese)

It should be tender and stringy.
Enjoy.
I love squash. One of my favorites is acorn squash.
It is very versatile.

-Janna

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
That should be *bake* not back.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love spaghetti squash
3.gif
but if you''ve never had it before, i think your tofu/chicken analogy is pretty good. it is not going to be like spaghetti. do try it though, and let us know how you like it!

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
I made butternut squash soup last week, and that was to die for. I''m experimenting with different squashes and I expect to like some better than others but it''s going well so far
18.gif

I am baking the spaghetti one right now, and will report back in due course.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Mmmm....squash... Yummy.

Let us know how the spaghetti squash comes out!

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/19/2005 9:18:19 PM
Author: Stretch4
Mmmm....squash... Yummy.

Let us know how the spaghetti squash comes out!
OK, I''m ready to report ....

YUMMY!

I baked it like jorman said, and then I baked it some more with sweetcorn, green stringbeans and parmesan (and lots of ground black pepper) and served it with a dollop of butter.

It was slightly crunchy, does that mean I should have baked it longer until it went "al dente" like spaghetti, or is crunchy OK? I quite liked crunchy, but then I hate overdone soggy veggies. And it was only slightly crunchy. It scooped out of the half-shell really easily.

I think it''s a nice alternative to baked potatoes; you could have chili on top, or salsa/cheese.

I''ll be wanting acorn squash recipes now!
36.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
I cut in half, scoop out seeds and place down in a large pan of about 2 inches water. Low boil on stove top for around 15-20 mins. Use a fork to scrape out the strands on to a plate. Lots of butter, salt and pepper. Yum.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i wish i''d a known what it was before i bought it. i thought it would be like squash- not the same. i was dissapointed and vowed never to buy it again. but- now that i know better and have a yummy sounding recipe- i might try it again... with better expectations.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2005 8:06:57 PM
Author: jorman

I love squash. One of my favorites is acorn squash.

It is very versatile.

-Janna

Practically everybody has had acorn squash with butter and brown sugar inside, but here''s my faaaaaavorite acorn squash recipe!

Cut the squash in half, seed, and bake (Better Homes has instructions, follow your own cookbook if you like).
While the squash is baking, whip up some Uncle Ben''s Original Wild Rice. If you like, add some black or red kidney beans (1 can) into the rice just as you start to simmer it. Pile the rice into the squash when they''re done, and voila - Dinner! Yummy, savory, flavorful, and if you keep brown sugar on hand for when you''re done with the rice, you''ve got dinner and dessert in one!

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
JCJD- That sounds wonderful!
I will have to try that. Thanks!!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Cinnabar this is one type of squash I''ve always wanted to try. Thanks to those who contributed ideas to use them.
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results