shape
carat
color
clarity

Soy milk yay or nay?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
What are your thoughts? I used to drink it years ago but gave it up when I hit menopause early at 43. This was during the time of "soy milk can bring on estrogen dependent cancers", or something to that effect. Is it risky? Safe? Somewhere in between depending on... ???

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my friends is an internal medicine doctor. She is a vegetarian who eats dairy but stays away from soy products due to the estrogen concerns. I think like most foods, as long as consumed in moderation it would be fine. I think I remember that the concern regarding soy and breast cancer was mostly for people taking soy supplements versus consumption of soy foods. But could be wrong.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up eating soya products from a very young age, and I would gladly drink soya milk by the gallon had it not been so expensive here in the normal supermarkets.

Whenever I see a carton on sale I would get it, usually ones without sugar, and add a bit of honey to sweeten the taste.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends. Many find soy inflamatory. Soy, gluten, dairy. If you have Hashimoto’s I recommend staying away from soy

B

Betty Baguette

I'm not sure, but I much prefer the taste of almond milk anyway.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
people who area allergic and have intollerences i have the deepest sympathy for
soy milk is gross
its the smell
1702177637911.jpeg

also i do not eat GM foods if i can help it, they are only found in imported procescced foods here as its illegal to grow GM in NZ and we dont grow soy beans

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Over the years my father has held multiple patents which involved soy and building products (such as spray foam insulation and such). He and his chemists have always been adamant that we not only shouldn't consume it, but also shouldn't consume animals which have been fed it.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Depends. Many find soy inflamatory. Soy, gluten, dairy. If you have Hashimoto’s I recommend staying away from soy

Trying to avoid an inflammatory response!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Over the years my father has held multiple patents which involved soy and building products (such as spray foam insulation and such). He and his chemists have always been adamant that we not only shouldn't consume it, but also shouldn't consume animals which have been fed it.

me and your dad would get on like a house on fire =)2
once i tried stawberry soy youghurt - i can still smell it
1702615194170.png

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

I don't care for soy milk or soy "dairy" products. I'm curious, though, why your father and his colleagues were adamant to avoid soy.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
current research suggests soy milk is generally considered safe for most people to consume. Like many foods, everything in moderation is key. For women who went through early menopause, it makes sense to be extra cautious, but occasional soy milk is likely fine. Maybe check in with your doctor if you have specific health concerns. Best of luck as you evaluate if incorporating it back into your diet could work for you!

I did go into early menopause. I also am careful where my thyroid is concerned, also inflammatory foods and gut health. I was beginning to drink a warm cup a day with turmeric latte powder, but I'm rethinking that.

I do still enjoy tofu occasionally as protein for supper. Tofu hoisin... so tasty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results