shape
carat
color
clarity

Sourcing a rock from a particular mine?

i-vision

Rough_Rock
Seems to not be possible :(

I have contacted various retail De Beers outlets to try and see if they woule be able to source a diamond from one of their mines that has geological significance to us. The response I got was essentially once the rocks reach the channel, there's no distinguishing.

Has anyone else attempted this?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only diamond cutter/brand I know of that would probably be able to work with that would be Infinity.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1315503614|3012815 said:
The only diamond cutter/brand I know of that would probably be able to work with that would be Infinity.

Ditto

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
just curious, but why does a particular mine have geological significance to you?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1315508174|3012872 said:
ame|1315503614|3012815 said:

Ditto

Thritto.

i-vision

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion! Now I'm guessing with such a request, I could expect to pay a premium?

It is the only diamond mine in our province, exists in the northern part of our province - relatively close to where we both grew up; representing our childhood and the things we value about the north.

As it is unlikely we will ever move back there, it would be nice for her to carry a piece of that with her as a constant reminder of where we came from as well as where we are going, together.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Possibly, but more than likely you're just paying the premium because Infinity is branded. There are a few of their sellers who we often recommend, namely High Performance Diamonds and Dimend Scassi. But they'd have to contact Lieve and Paul to probably get a little insight on where the stone was mined.

Because you say Province I am assuming you're looking for a canadian stone?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably need to pay a premium, for both the name and to get the rough. Rough are sold in a parcel of stones through a bidding process, the parcel has stones that includes a range of shape, color and clarity. If you specify a certain quality, the parcel will have to be obtained, probably with a higher bid, and the other stones in the parcel may not be that suitable for polishing so the cutter will suffer a loss unless you pay more. How much premium will be case by case.

i-vision

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I'm looking for a Canadian stone. I'll give Bill Leboeuf a go as well. Infinity has acknowledged my request but hasn't given an answer yet.

i-vision

Rough_Rock
Update: Infinity replied saying there really wasn't a way for them to get a hold of diamonds from this source. They were quite helpful in explaining why and gave me insight into the various channels that exist.

Le Boeuf got back to me and said they're an exclusive dealer - so thanks for the tip Cluless! I'm not sure if/how that could be verified. In any case, the stone they have in stock that is closest to what I'm looking for is a round 0.70ct. SI1-E excellent cut GIA certified priced at $3925.

My questions are:
1) I'm trying to make a comparison with brilliantearth but I'm not sure what to equate "excellent cut" with. Would that be equiv to their "Ideal" cut?
2) This price does seem to fall betwen "Very Good" cuts of the same other specs and "Super Ideal" which to me indicates it might be 'fair'.
3) Even if it is fair, might there be any better way to approach asking for movement on the price front? I mean the one in stock might be more condusive to wanting to move it but other than that?

Thanks!

/Exciting times!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I,

Good for you for pursuing info about where the diamond came from.

But, don't short change your concern for cut, either.

In this case, simply don't be satisfied with anyone's version of good cut to super ideal. Get at least proportion info enough to populate this page:

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

i.e., table, depth, as well as crown & pavilion angles. If they can't give that to you, a) they should explain why, and also, b) you should look elsewhere.

Best,

Ira Z.

i-vision

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot, will do!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to let you know that I drive an hour just to use Bill Leboeuf. Adam (owner now, Bills son) is great to work with and the whole store is a class act :bigsmile:

In fact they are currently altering 2 pairs of earrings and will be modifying my wedding band next. Cant go wrong with them at all and they have a great setting selection as well!

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
i-vison glad I could help. I never used Leboeuf, I only e-mailed for info on a ring they have in stock and asked him to send me hand shots, I was very impressed with how prompt he was with his reply he seems to be very nice. I'm glad vintagelover could vouch for him. Please keep us posted.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Just curious, what is the name of the mine you are interested in?

i-vision

Rough_Rock
I was provided with a GIA cert # that I was able to pull all the relevant data from to plug in. End results of the Cut Adviser are: **edited by moderator. please upload photos directly**

Thanks for the feedback vintage lover

Begonia, I tend to be a little, what's the word, paranoid about posting stuff online before the fact. Who knows what she might search for / stumble upon ;-) I will say that to my knowledge, it's the only one in Ontario and it starts with a V :D

So next up, I need to find a setting! Well, not just any setting. The perfect setting.

I'm drawn to this setting because of its unique (to me) factor and minimal area to things to get caught on. I'm just not sure if it's too much metal and/or if it takes away from the look of the stone. Also concerned about how a wedding band might sit.
1_2.png

Next option I like is much more simple. More areas to get caught but rock might get more attention. It's supposed to represent points on a compass and point "true North". Fitting.

2_0.png

I won't be able to get in to see Adam for a few more weeks but that gives me time to hunt for other ideas. So far he's just said "show me a picture and we'll make it". Which is great, if you're sold on a particular setting up front :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
i-vision|1317142278|3026940 said:
I was provided with a GIA cert # that I was able to pull all the relevant data from to plug in. End results of the Cut Adviser are:

Thanks for the feedback vintage lover

Begonia, I tend to be a little, what's the word, paranoid about posting stuff online before the fact. Who knows what she might search for / stumble upon ;-) I will say that to my knowledge, it's the only one in Ontario and it starts with a V :D

So next up, I need to find a setting! Well, not just any setting. The perfect setting.

I'm drawn to this setting because of its unique (to me) factor and minimal area to things to get caught on. I'm just not sure if it's too much metal and/or if it takes away from the look of the stone. Also concerned about how a wedding band might sit.
1_2.png

Next option I like is much more simple. More areas to get caught but rock might get more attention. It's supposed to represent points on a compass and point "true North". Fitting.

2_0.png

I won't be able to get in to see Adam for a few more weeks but that gives me time to hunt for other ideas. So far he's just said "show me a picture and we'll make it". Which is great, if you're sold on a particular setting up front :)

I have a prong setting and it doesn't get caught on things...maybe ask for the diamond to be set low?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hey, no worries i-vision. Just wondering as I'm Canadian too :)) , and have some diamond studs from Ekati.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
i-vision|1316709187|3022989 said:
Update: Infinity replied saying there really wasn't a way for them to get a hold of diamonds from this source. They were quite helpful in explaining why and gave me insight into the various channels that exist.

Le Boeuf got back to me and said they're an exclusive dealer - so thanks for the tip Cluless! I'm not sure if/how that could be verified. In any case, the stone they have in stock that is closest to what I'm looking for is a round 0.70ct. SI1-E excellent cut GIA certified priced at $3925.

My questions are:
1) I'm trying to make a comparison with brilliantearth but I'm not sure what to equate "excellent cut" with. Would that be equiv to their "Ideal" cut?
2) This price does seem to fall betwen "Very Good" cuts of the same other specs and "Super Ideal" which to me indicates it might be 'fair'.
3) Even if it is fair, might there be any better way to approach asking for movement on the price front? I mean the one in stock might be more condusive to wanting to move it but other than that?

Thanks!

/Exciting times!

I'm guessing the above questions are no longer current for you...though I'm not sure why.

Ira Z.

i-vision

Rough_Rock
Hi Ira,

It does seem as though my focus has shifted but everything is still on the table and still valid discussion! I posted a link (site was a little slow yesterday to upload a third image) to the results of the PriceScope HCA tool and welcome comments. It was rated 3.6 which is a "worth buying if price is good" which brings me back to the original question of how much wiggle room might there be?

I figure that might also depend on the setting - if it's stock or has to be (custom) made which is why I started exploring options there as well.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not that promising from the numbers, but GIA average and rounds the numbers significantly so it could be much better or worse than what the numbers indicate. HCA also only uses 4 numbers but not taking the minor facets into account. An idealscope image will tell more.

i-vision

Rough_Rock
Wow, really? This is already putting more pressure on my budget than anticipated. What areas are standing out for you? GIA ratings are Excellent and E for color, while I get that there's a whole lot more to it than that and that ratings can be somewhat meaningless... I wasn't expecting "not that promising" for a verdict.

There are other stones that can be ordered in, but some of the quotes I've seen blow my entire budget, nevermind the setting. So I guess I need a little context. Or perhaps all of you need more info (hence the idealscope mention). I'm guessing that's something I should be able to request?

i-vision

Rough_Rock
Well I'm off to see the stone in person this weekend. Anything in particular I should look for / ask? I did ask about an idealscope image and the reply was - he'd never heard of that before. :???: Is that perhaps less common in Canada?

So again, I'd like to ask about price. The verdict from the site was 'good buy if the price is right'. So far I've looked at other stones on the likes of brilliantearth.com and found it to be pretty much in-line with them there. Is there usually room to move on stones or does this industry expect to pay face value-ish?

I'd like to think I have room to play.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
see if you can get an Idealscope ordered and shipped to you in time for the weekend, then you can bring it with you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results