shape
carat
color
clarity

Sorry - total Newb - diff between Engagement and Wedding Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GDTRFB

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sorry for the ignorant question here...and I know the answer here will vary depending on personal preference, but how does the engagement ring and the wedding ring relate? In other words, do I need an engagement ring, or do I just start by looking at wedding rings? Is the engagement ring simply a totally serpate ring that has nothing to do with the wedding ring besides the ''promise'' to get married in the future, etc., etc. Or, does the band from the engagement ring get used for the final diamond and put together as the final wedding ring??

You can tell I am a completely newbie to this, but your opinion on what most people do here is greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
While you''re free to do whatever you want, of course...
4.gif

Generally, an engagement ring comes first (a setting and a diamond or other stone of your and your future spouse''s liking), which is meant to be a promise between the two of you. After that, you''ll need a band, which is presented at the wedding of course. Thereafter, the two (engagement ring and wedding band) are worn together. You probably wouldn''t take the diamond out of the engagement ring and put it into the wedding band.

Best of luck in your search!

GDTRFB

Rough_Rock
Trade
Great! Thanks for the reply. So, if people wear their engagement ring with their wedding ring, wouldn''t you have to know what the wedding ring will look like so you can get a matching engagement ring? I think I''d want to include her in designing and picking out the wedding ring, but keep the engagement ring a surprise! How does that work typically!?

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 12:13:03 PM
Author: GDTRFB
Great! Thanks for the reply. So, if people wear their engagement ring with their wedding ring, wouldn't you have to know what the wedding ring will look like so you can get a matching engagement ring? I think I'd want to include her in designing and picking out the wedding ring, but keep the engagement ring a surprise! How does that work typically!?
Most people look at it the reverse way and get a wedding band that matches the engagement ring. It's always a good idea to think about how the engagement ring will work with a wedding band when picking it out though.

I would also strongly urge to get some input from your future bride's family or friends on her preferences regarding shape of diamond and types of settings she likes for the engagement ring.

ETA - Here's an example thread of a member trying different bands to see what looks best with her engagement ring https://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/okay-i-give-up-pick-a-wedding-band-for-me-t86238.html

Sfrattalatta

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 6:32:36 PM
Author:GDTRFB
Sorry for the ignorant question here...and I know the answer here will vary depending on personal preference, but how does the engagement ring and the wedding ring relate? In other words, do I need an engagement ring, or do I just start by looking at wedding rings? Is the engagement ring simply a totally serpate ring that has nothing to do with the wedding ring besides the ''promise'' to get married in the future, etc., etc. Or, does the band from the engagement ring get used for the final diamond and put together as the final wedding ring??

You can tell I am a completely newbie to this, but your opinion on what most people do here is greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

I don''t think your question is so strange. Of course you can do whatever you want even if there are some "rules" most people follow in buying engagement ring and wedding band; however in different places, rules are different. for example, I''m italian, and I''ve never seen an italian woman wearing the two rings together...
people either buy only one ring with which they propose to the bride and then that ring is also the wedding ring. or they buy two different rings and move the engagement ring to the right hand when they marry.

for example my dad only bought an wonderful platinum ring for my mom. He used it to propose to her and then that became her wedding band and he bought a matching wedding band for himself. I believe platinum rings are those who mostly can be used with both functions, when a gold ring is good only for marriage and a palladium ring only for engagement.. at least that''s how it works in italy
28.gif

many kisses!
sfra

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 12:13:03 PM
Author: GDTRFB
Great! Thanks for the reply. So, if people wear their engagement ring with their wedding ring, wouldn''t you have to know what the wedding ring will look like so you can get a matching engagement ring? I think I''d want to include her in designing and picking out the wedding ring, but keep the engagement ring a surprise! How does that work typically!?

Either find out what she wants from a trusted friend or relative OR give her a plain simple setting with her rock and THEN choose a real setting/wedding band together. It''s called a "temp(orary)" setting.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 7:57:09 AM
Author: Sfrattalatta
I believe platinum rings are those who mostly can be used with both functions, when a gold ring is good only for marriage and a palladium ring only for engagement.. at least that''s how it works in italy
28.gif

FYI-certainly not how it works in the US. Get whatever metal she wears whether it''s gold or platinum.

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 12:38:31 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 8/24/2009 7:57:09 AM
Author: Sfrattalatta
I believe platinum rings are those who mostly can be used with both functions, when a gold ring is good only for marriage and a palladium ring only for engagement.. at least that's how it works in italy
28.gif

FYI-certainly not how it works in the US. Get whatever metal she wears whether it's gold or platinum.
Yeah, I would get some idea of her preferences. My brother recently proposed to his girlfriend with a lovely diamond solitaire ring in white gold. She loved it but every girl's taste is different. I really like it too but then I'm a sucker for a solitaire
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results