shape
carat
color
clarity

Songs from "Brigadoon"

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to YouTube to see if I could find a good rendition of, "My Mother's Wedding Day" from "Brigadoon" and soon fell in love with some of the lovely renditions of that and other songs from the show. I don't know if everyone on Pricescope knows the show-I was brought up with it- but it was never made into an adequate movie. (I adore Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse; their dancing is superb, but dancing alone does not make the show, "Brigadoon".) The show is really witty and really romantic, none of which is captured in the movie. High school productions of it often capture more of the flavor than the movie did. Here are some gems that I found.

"My Mother's Wedding Day"...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ3Pdgxv_sg live from The Goodman Theater (incomplete)
"Go Home With Bonnie Jean" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9dGI8fRNPQ a high school production
"Come To Me Bend To Me"...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjD1LnY53WA&ebc=ANyPxKp5dpt9CJhSrf05cYT06ntH4eL3NW41a4EK9QQ755uEjYy6oiXfKrnb1ULHiRpgGk3SEPiq-KBORXqWfe45965eQQy2Cw live on stage from The Goodman Theater (incomplete)
"Come To Me Bend To Me"...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJYyqzUr6jU&ebc=ANyPxKp5dpt9CJhSrf05cYT06ntH4eL3NW41a4EK9QQ755uEjYy6oiXfKrnb1ULHiRpgGk3SEPiq-KBORXqWfe45965eQQy2Cw the most beautiful vocal version I have ever heard of this song. I only wish there was an accompanying video.
"The Real Love of My Life"...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtLPV-bB4gY a high school production

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:lol: As soon as I read the thread title, "My Mother's Wedding Day" is the tune that came immediately to mind. Actually, I think it was the only song I could come up with, without thinking about it a few minutes.

My father's side of the family is Scottish, and my grandmother was of the era when Broadway show tunes were hits on the airwaves. She bought records of, I believe, every single one of the major Broadway shows of the Postwar era. If I recall correctly, her Brigadoon records were an elegant RCA set of several boxed 78 RPM records about 3/4 the diameter of a more modern vinyl LP record. "My Mother's Wedding Day" is included in that set, but it was left out of the movie version due to morality issues. I remember all of the adults cackling and singing along with that song when I was a kid. :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AdaBeta27|1460945131|4020630 said:
:lol: As soon as I read the thread title, "My Mother's Wedding Day" is the tune that came immediately to mind. Actually, I think it was the only song I could come up with, without thinking about it a few minutes.

My father's side of the family is Scottish, and my grandmother was of the era when Broadway show tunes were hits on the airwaves. She bought records of, I believe, every single one of the major Broadway shows of the Postwar era. If I recall correctly, her Brigadoon records were an elegant RCA set of several boxed 78 RPM records about 3/4 the diameter of a more modern vinyl LP record. "My Mother's Wedding Day" is included in that set, but it was left out of the movie version due to morality issues. I remember all of the adults cackling and singing along with that song when I was a kid. :lol:

I'm so glad you could share this with me, AdaBeta. I was very much aware of, "My Mother's Wedding Day" when I was a child, perhaps because it was on the 33RPM record my family had of the Broadway production of, "Brigadoon", which included it. I do not think I became aware of the (far more scandalous), "The Real Love of My Life" until I began seeing high school productions of the show, however! I am pretty sure it wasn't on the record. If it was, I was too young to "get" it and it wasn't musically interesting enough for me to want to listen to it! I will have to look it up and see if it is on the record we owned!

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is another version of, "The Real Love of My Life". I think that this one is beautifully done. (It, also, is a from a high school production.) Unfortunately, the quality of the video is not the best.

"The Real Love of My Life"...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDjDcqaQ2Pw a 2009 high school production

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I did this show when I was in high school!!! My high school had an amazing performing arts program, but we were still a high school...only in a high school production could I, an Asian, have been cast in Brigadoon. :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlyglam|1461027283|4020951 said:
I did this show when I was in high school!!! My high school had an amazing performing arts program, but we were still a high school...only in a high school production could I, an Asian, have been cast in Brigadoon. :)

Lucky you! You probably got to wear a Scottish costume! (Any pictures?) Did you get a juicy part? I just got to sing songs from the show as part of a high school chorus. My school did not put on the play. ;))

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"The Real Love of My Life" -- I can't ever remember hearing that one before.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AdaBeta27|1461211012|4021945 said:

The words have been running in my head for several days now. They are so perfectly put together. I just can't get them to stop! It's like having some jingle from a commercial stuck in your head!

I keep hearing:

"He wasted his time telling me about his might. One look at him decided me to not put up a fight"

and several other lines!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1461235744|4021986 said:
AdaBeta27|1461211012|4021945 said:

The words have been running in my head for several days now. They are so perfectly put together. I just can't get them to stop! It's like having some jingle from a commercial stuck in your head!

I keep hearing:

"He wasted his time telling me about his might. One look at him decided me to not put up a fight"

and several other lines!

I was making the coffee and the song ran through my head again. I am sure the words must be, "One look at him persuaded me to not put up a fight". ;))

Love that song!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, the words were, "decided me" not "persuaded me". Second, I found a professional version of the song sung by Shirley Jones in case anyone wants to hear it. There is no video.

Shirley Jones sings "Real Love of My Life"...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgbYX6cvVY

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like early 20th century music. Occasionally I get some old song stuck in my head. Most of the music of my generation, I never could stand. Bores me. lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results