shape
carat
color
clarity

song quote

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Cititation question

I am using a lyric on the back of my invitation.

Who do it cite? The writer, the original artist, or the artist that I am using the cover from?

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
if you were writing a works cited for a research paper, i''d say definitely the writer since he wrote it, BUT you''re not getting graded on your invitations, so i think about it this way--the average person reading that quote, if they recognized it, who would they think to attribute it to? i''d just go with that. i mean, if i were quoting elton john, all of my guests would recognize a line from one of his songs, but most of them would probably be confused if the quote was attributed to bernie taupin, even though that''s who wrote the lyrics to MOST of elton''s stuff! if it''s too confusing, you oculd also just put the quote and not attribute it to anyone--it''s the techno-age; anyone who is THAT curious can google it.
9.gif

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Original artist vs. Current artist? Did the current artist change the wording?

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
The original was sung by Frank Sinatra, the cover is Willie Nelson

I’ll be loving you, always
with a love that''’s true, always
-Willie Nelson/ Frankie

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with the songwriter, Irving Berlin ... not exactly an unknown! Besides, so many people have recorded the song that the lyrics would probably bring to mind a whole host of different versions for your guests. (Leonard Cohen's version came to mind for me!)

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 3:17:37 PM
Author: MINIMS
I''d go with the songwriter, Irving Berlin ... not exactly an unknown! Besides, so many people have recorded the song that the lyrics would probably bring to mind a whole host of different versions for your guests. (Leonard Cohen''s version came to mind for me!)
Right? Our first dance is going to be to the Willie version, so it might make the most sense to put him huh?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Jah, since you''re quoting the words and no music, I''d credit Irving Berlin too.

PS: LOVE the lyrics in your sig. That''s a great song.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I think I''d put Willie Nelson since that''s the version you''re doing. Of course, if was a paper, you''d put the writer''s name, but since you''re referring to a specific variation of the song, I''d credit the recording artist. I mean, that''s who tends to get credit if the song were on the radio.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
hmm...if it were me, i''d put Irving Berlin/ Willie Nelson. But I also have a BA in English, so i tend to want the original writer to get credit where credit is due! I also see how it could be important, too, though, to have the name of the specific performer, hence my thinking both may be appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results