shape
carat
color
clarity

"Somewhere in the Rainbow" Private Gem Collection

Hello all,
Longtime lurker and occasional poster. :wavey: I recently purchased a spinel from JTV, and it was notated in the listing that the gem was formerly part of the "Somewhere in the Rainbow" Collection. A quick search of google tells me that this is a private collection not affiliated with JTV, but owned by an "anonymous" couple out of AZ. And that's about all I could find on the topic. Does anyone have additional info regarding this collection or these collectors? Just wondering why the mystique... TIA!

Best,
Autumn

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No answers for you, unfortunately.

Will you share pictures of what you bought?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like this rings a bell… maybe try looking up Tuscon info… I’ll comment again if I can think of more specifics

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Shelly Sargent (my very active FB friend), who used to work for JTV is in charge of ""Somewhere Under the Rainbow" Collection."

Many of these gemstones have made the rounds to large gemology departments in notable museums around the world including the Smithsonian.

Those who are on Facebook can go to this link taken from "Gemology Worldwide" and see the incredible gemstones and the stories behind them.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/485786491597526/search/?q=somewhere under the rainbow collection

You will have to ask to join the group as it is a private group filled with the who’s who of the colored gemstone industry.

Here is the link for that.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mind sharing a photo of your spinel?

I appreciate the replies, everyone!

@fredflintstone That was very helpful; thank you so much!! It's exactly the info I was hoping the members here might have. I'm always amazed at the wealth of knowledge in this forum.

Sure, I'll share photos in a separate post.

I've only purchased maybe a handful of stones from JTV... like most other members here, I tend to buy from familiar "at the source" vendors or private collectors. But every so often, JTV gets in something that catches my eye. I had no idea they had a concierge service until recently, where you can speak directly with a JTV buyer/G.G. who is holding the stone in his hand. Alice, the liaison, is a gem (pardon the pun). Please give her a call if anything ever strikes your fancy. In any event, the purchase was for a 3.45 ct. Mahenge... US cut, eye clean, strong red fluorescence, vivid pink saturation, etc. I couldn't pass it up. The one thing about JTV is the gems always look better in person. I've never been disappointed. JTV-XTP1695-1-zoom.jpg JTV-XTP1695-2-zoom.jpg JTV-XTP1695-3-zoom.jpg JTV-XTP1695-4-medium.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice gem. Thank you for posting! JTV has a great return policy too. I recently bought and returned a gem from them. It was browner than depicted, but absolutely no hassle return.

Oh bummer, @T L ... I'm sorry you were disappointed. But it's nice to know their returns are hassle-free. May I ask the gem type? I have a stifling tendency to see brown or undesirable modifiers in nearly everything. :wall:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s the gem and the JTV link. It never looked as the website photo blush pink in any lighting. Attached is my photo and the best it looked. I have a blush pink spinel that I love, so I was hoping this would look similar, and with a higher RI.

56333BAE-5FFC-4AA0-9BF8-718709896C3D.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like JTV for their silver and cz rings though, which I reuse for my less expensive colored gems. I have bought some of their gold settings too when they’re on deep discount.

Last edited:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Shelly Sargent (my very active FB friend), who used to work for JTV is in charge of ""Somewhere Under the Rainbow" Collection."

Many of these gemstones have made the rounds to large gemology departments in notable museums around the world including the Smithsonian.

Those who are on Facebook can go to this link taken from "Gemology Worldwide" and see the incredible gemstones and the stories behind them.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/485786491597526/search/?q=somewhere under the rainbow collection

You will have to ask to join the group as it is a private group filled with the who’s who of the colored gemstone industry.

Here is the link for that.

I think they just established a gemstone museum in Tucson Arizona, associated with the University of Arizona. I think its this- but I may be incorrect…. https://ibb.co/album/Lh6R1S?fbclid=IwAR0DaiY5f5CVNQ1AtrgCZGh-0GZ6tdSMt28FeiO_Ca9EpXyoKhHYcF09ZfE

Last edited:
@T L Ahh yes... I feel like pink zircon has a habit of browning out, especially under incandescent lighting. I'm sure you found a suitable replacement (it's "free!")... :devil:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L Ahh yes... I feel like pink zircon has a habit of browning out, especially under incandescent lighting. I'm sure you found a suitable replacement (it's "free!")... :devil:

Nah, tried another one from a private vendor that said his had “no brown.” it was brown.

Would love to see your own photos of your beautiful spinel. I’m glad you had a great experience with JTV.

Thanks so much, @T L. Enjoy your blush spinel... it sounds lovely. So often the more delicate tones lean purple. I tend to enjoy the warmer pinks.

Sure, maybe I can post some photos once I set the stone. Alice was also telling me that JTV makes custom jewelry. Again, that's news to me. I like to stay local where I can micro manage. :rolleyes:

Reactions: T L
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results