audball

Ideal_Rock
What was, is, or will be your somethings? :bigsmile:

Something Old - represents continuity

Something New - offers optimism for the future

Something Borrowed - symbolizes borrowed happiness

Something Blue - stands for purity, love, and fidelity

Six Pence in Her Shoe - a wish for good fortune and prosperity

This tradition comes from an Old English rhyme ("Something Olde, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue, A Sixpence in your Shoe"), and the four objects that the bride adds to her wedding outfit or carries with her on the big day are just good luck charms.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something old & something blue:

Art deco pendant & sapphire in my engagement ring
download4.jpg

Something new:

wedding dress, I guess.

Something borrowed:

?????? I am going to see if I can borrow my grandmother's original wedding ring, that was also HER grandmother's wedding ring. It doesn't fit her any more but since it is engraved from the 1870s on the inside she has never had it sized, and it fits my perfectly. I have to remember to ask though, lol.

Not doing the sixpence thing... I'd never even heard about it until last week.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I had a couple for everything because I pretty much had all my stuff figured out and then my mom and 3 bridesmaids each fulfilled one of the somethings as my shower gift.

Old: From my MOH: a 1911 (100 years before my wedding) penny, which I tucked into the wrap on my bouquet; also my grandmother's wedding band.
New: From my bridesmaid: a hankie she hand-embroidered with my new monogram (came in handy during the ceremony); also I considered my sash on my dress my new since it was made with such love by C-tek.
Borrowed: From my mother: my grandmother's ivory beaded clutch; also from my mother, her strand of pearls with diamond clasp.
Blue: From my bridesmaid: my University of Michigan garter set (we're both alums); also my grandmother's engagement ring which I had reset with a sapphire (in my avatar).

audball

Ideal_Rock
Good ones, ladies! I guess new is easy for most brides - the dress. The other things are what I'm stuck on! If we do a traditional wedding, we won't do a garter toss so it seems silly to buy one for the sake of it "being blue". We have nothing significant in our family to use as old, but I love the penny idea vc! And borrowed will be tough since we're leaning more strongly towards eloping...

Come on ladies! I know more of you have your somethings! Pictures are fun too!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
aud, why don't you borrow something of your FI's if you elope? Tuck *his* hanky in your dress. Maybe use one of his ties to wrap your bouquet? Don't forget, you can also tack any trinkets to the inside of your dress, they don't have to be jewelry items or visible! Any trust-worthy friends who could keep a secret if you told them at the last minute and asked to borrow a pair of earrings? Or a RHR? a charm or pendant you can tie around your bouquet or tack into your dress?

Also, I see no reason why you shouldn't wear a garter! While you may not be doing a toss (and therefore have no reason to get a *set* of garters), I still think they're something special and bit sessy :naughty: and they're a fun way to surprise your FI later that evening if he has a favorite sports team/TV show/etc. There are a ton of themed ones on etsy and they're not pricey! I mean, when else would you wear a garter?!?!?

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Something Old - A vintage hankie I found in an antique shop near where we live. I purchased a vintage hankie (found all over the place) for each of my bridesmaids and included it in their gifts.

Something New - Engagement and wedding rings. Nothing says optimism for your future than rings symbolizing being tied to the love of your life! :D

Something Borrowed - I tried on my cousin's garter with every intention of borrowing it, but it was itchy and I didn't like the way it felt on my leg, so I took it off. I did wear it for a few minutes though...does that count?! I didn't do a garter toss anyway (I found that and the bouquet toss an antiquated tradition that puts single women on the spot...my least favorite thing about going to weddings when I was a single gal.

Something Blue - stands for purity, love, and fidelity - Ok, I didn't know any of these meanings until you posted them, but this totally struck me because this was EXACTLY how I felt about my 'something blue'. My Grandma was my most favorite person in this whole world. She passed away not even a month after we got engaged, so she obviously wasn't coming to our wedding. Well that just didn't work for me because I NEEDED her there. I took a piece of a her robe (blue flannel) and had it sewn into the back of my dress in a heart shape. I felt super calm and fabulous and was so thankful that I had a piece of her right there with me.

Six Pence in Her Shoe - I didn't know about this, but I went barefoot, so it wouldn't have been possible anyway ;-)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I have a couple of different things for each as well, and some fit into more than one category, other than the blue (only one of those)!

Old - Vintage earrings, vintage e-ring, pendant, shoes, sixpence
New - Dress, diamond studs
Borrowed - pendant (belongs to my mother), sixpence
Blue - there's a fabulous blue crystal on my hair comb

aud - I know you'll be getting a sixpence sent to you that can double as your old and borrowed. :wink2:

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1359732990|3369560 said:
I have a couple of different things for each as well, and some fit into more than one category, other than the blue (only one of those)!

Old - Vintage earrings, vintage e-ring, pendant, shoes, sixpence
New - Dress, diamond studs
Borrowed - pendant (belongs to my mother), sixpence
Blue - there's a fabulous blue crystal on my hair comb

aud - I know you'll be getting a sixpence sent to you that can double as your old and borrowed. :wink2:
So true! I didn't think of the six pence as being borrowed, but I guess it will be! And it's old!

My OEC is old too I guess! You guys are giving me so many ideas!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I always figured there would be a meaning behind all the "somethings" but I never thought to look up what it was...I like all your explanations! I am still far from a wedding so I don't have anything specific in terms of old/borrowed, but new should be easy as it'll likely be the dress and band and I'm sure I'll be wearing something blue whether it's shoes or some other form of jewelry!

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
Something Old - I am going to take some lace from my mom's dress who both her and my sister wore and use it for a handkerchief and maybe put around my bouquet. It will be special since they both have passed and a way to have them close to me on that day.

Something New - I think this will be my DBTY bracelet I want FI to get for me as my day of present

Something Borrowed - My aunt has a beautiful diamond necklace. I need to photograph it for PS because it is just jaw dropping. I am pretty sure it is a 1 or 1.5 ct center diamond and it just graduates continuously all the way to the clasp. When I put it on I feel like a million bucks!!!!!!

Something Blue - I am pretty sure I am going to do a sapphire and diamond wedding band.

Six Pence in Her Shoe- I don't think I will do this but who knows...

audball

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1359771504|3370185 said:
I always figured there would be a meaning behind all the "somethings" but I never thought to look up what it was...I like all your explanations! I am still far from a wedding so I don't have anything specific in terms of old/borrowed, but new should be easy as it'll likely be the dress and band and I'm sure I'll be wearing something blue whether it's shoes or some other form of jewelry!
I googled it! I wasn't sure of all the meanings either. The Knot to the rescue!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha I gonna answer this even though I got married 29 years ago this coming may!

Old - I borrowed my mother-in-laws pearl necklace
New - Dress
Borrowed - once again MIL pearl necklace
Blue - my garter (do brides still have these?)

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I would never even think to do this! Its so sweet though, it was fun to read what everyone has done/will do!

Obviously I've heard of it, but I didn't know what the meanings for each item were either.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Something Old - represents continuity - my purse frame- the old velvet that was with it was falling apart and kind of disgusting. I got rid of that right away. A stacking band I wore with my RHR.

Something New - offers optimism for the future Dress, bolero, shoes, necklace- I had it made for the wedding

Something Borrowed - symbolizes borrowed happiness - earrings to wear in my second hole

Something Blue - stands for purity, love, and fidelity ering, RHR, shoes, bolero, purse, second hole earrings, necklace's center stone

Six Pence in Her Shoe - a wish for good fortune and prosperity No sixpence here!

I don't think I've posted some of these pics...

img_6537_sized.jpg

img_6491_sized.jpg

img_5719_dress_with_shoes.jpg

img_3195_freke2.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
omg Freke, YOUR NECKLACE. *grabbyhands*

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
I love seeing these! Such beautiful choices!

For me:

Something Old
: I think my fMIL is giving me an old embroidered handkerchief from her mother or grandmother. I'm also wearing my mom's old veil (she's been married 39 years) underneath a new one that was a gift (though I don't intend to wear any of them over my face). :)

Something New: Wedding dress. Shoes. Necklace.

Something Borrowed: I actually borrowed my crinoline, LOL. :) I'm going to give it back (she said I could keep it if I wanted), since I know she's more sentimental than she likes to admit, and she's got a new daughter that I think she might want to use her things someday. The handkerchief will also be borrowed as I fully intend to return it to fMIL after the wedding.

Something Blue: Shoes. Engagement ring (periwinkle blue sapphire). My eyes. My fiance's eyes. I might have blue flowers in my bouquet, too. Blue is my favorite color.

Sixpence in her shoe:
that just sounds uncomfortable to me (and I've never heard of it before), so I'll pass on this one. If I were wearing different shoes, I'd consider taping or gluing it under the sole, but I'm wearing wedges.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results