shape
carat
color
clarity

Something Different... a fake ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sirevan

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I''m in the midst of preparing my proposal ideas together while the real ring is being customed made. I''m getting her exactly what she has dreamed about and that is a a 1.5k radiant cut diamond in a basket setting with micropave diamonds all the way around the band.

Now of course, my girlfriend is expecting our engagement to happen within the next few weeks/months, but is not sure exactly when.

Now here''s where I need your help: She knows I am probably going to propose to her and I can''t do a cheesy proposal (just not like me). So I''ve planned something very creative and cute that she won''t even know what''s going on. Although when the ring comes out I want to give her a different/fake ring. I want it to be similar to that of the one I am having made, but of course smaller with slightly different variations that I think she might dislike (but hold back and not tell me, especially with all the excitment). Does anyone know a good place online where I can possible find a really cheap but similar imitation to the one I am having made? I am looking for probably a silver ring with of course a CZ. Maybe the CZ can be less than 1 carat. I''m not looking to spend a lot of money especially since the real ring is costing me 10K.

Of course later on in the evening, I''ll surprise her with her real ring... so don''t worry
emwink.gif

I''m open to anyone''s suggestions and thoughts!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you!!
21.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
This probably isn''t what you want to hear but the idea of a fake-out fakey ring strikes me as a little cruel. Your engagment is probably not the best time for a practical joke - so many emotions and unwitting expectations and long-held dreams are at stake here.

Does seeing her squirm or be dissapointed or confused make you happy? Think this one over carefully. Humor at the expense of feelings isn''t a good trade for long term satisfaction IMHO.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Bad idea.......

widget

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
sorry...but I don''t like the idea either...I think I would get upset. First of all I would never tell him I disliked the original ring because Iwouldn''t want to hurt his feelings...specially not in such a special day!. Second, I would feel that the whole "joke" takes away form the experience.

I do like the idea of doing something that would make her laugh though (in a good way)....and you sound like a creative guy....any other ideas?

Sirevan

Rough_Rock
Oh no... its not being cruel at all! I have no intensions of it being cruel. Since she knows it is coming and all the rest, I just want to give it some element of surprise. Of course, I won''t keep the real ring from her for too long.. I''ll probably slipped into her hand while we walk or something.

Forgive me, I''m not trying to be mean... Just trying to have some fun and she''s the type that would enjoy it and not find it offensive.

esguy27

Shiny_Rock
I have to agree with the rest of the group. You still have timel, I think you can come up with a more memorable plan than this one.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others; a proposal is not the time for a joke or something fake, especially if it''s something that, as you said yourself, she might dislike. You don''t want her to be disappointed, even if it doesn''t last.

I understand you want to do something different, but her initial feelings are very important. You want to make wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I''m afraid I have to agree with everyone else.... My fiance is a funny guy who enjoys joking around a lot, to the point that I emphasized for many months preceding the proposal, "I think that you''re really funny and that''s something I love SO MUCH about you, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES AT ALL can the proposal be funny. This is NOT THE TIME!!!!" He kept asking me if I was sure, because he wanted it to be memorable and unique, and I was just like NOOOO, you can find some other way to do that. You say you know your girlfriend well enough to know that she would enjoy your joke, and hopefully you''re right, but I would still say you should be on the safe side. Maybe after you propose with the REAL ring, you can pull out the fake one and say, "unless you want this instead?" or something like that? Then you two can have a good laugh about it, but it won''t be tied up in her initial feelings of making the most serious committment of her life. You want it to be happy and joyous, but, in my opinion, NOT a joke!! Find another way to infuse humor into it, but I strongly advise staying away from any kind of joke which involves her feeling disappointed in any way.

Sirevan

Rough_Rock
Point well taken! I appreciate all of your advise. I think I'm going to dismiss the idea of the fake ring altogether. Why spend the extra money on a piece of garbage anyway?? I could put that money towards the celebration
emotion-5.gif

Thanks again all!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Good to hear!
4.gif

Sorry we knocked your initial idea, but that really did strike a nerve for me since that''s EXACTLY the type of thing I was afraid my fiance might have done to me!!

That said....you have pictures of the ring yet?? It sounds GORGEOUS!!! Any other proposal ideas on the horizon?
1.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 4:11:53 PM
Author: Sirevan
Point well taken! I appreciate all of your advise. I think I''m going to dismiss the idea of the fake ring altogether. Why spend the extra money on a piece of garbage anyway?? I could put that money towards the celebration
emotion-5.gif

Thanks again all!
I agree!! And I second the ring pics request...
2.gif
If you want to do an unexpensive proposal, why not cook her dinner and take her for a walk on the beach or at a beautiful garden and get own on one knee then? It''s sweet, simple, and I''m sure any woman would find it very sweet and thoughtful.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 4:11:53 PM
Author: Sirevan
Point well taken! I appreciate all of your advise. I think I''m going to dismiss the idea of the fake ring altogether. Why spend the extra money on a piece of garbage anyway?? I could put that money towards the celebration
emotion-5.gif

Thanks again all!
Phew! It really was not a good idea.

About the surprise factor... As has been said before on PS, as long as you don''t send her a memo with date, time, place, and your exact words... it''s still going to be a surprise.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so glad you''ve nixed the idea! As I read your first post, a bad feeling started to form in the pit of my stomach. That would''ve been a set-up for a serious backfire situation. No woman wants to be given a not-so-great e-ring and then have to fake liking it...or otherwise risk appearing petty and superficial. It should be a special moment from beginning to end, because she''s going to think back on it countless times during her lifetime.

Way to go for going a different route! :) Let us know what you end up doing and good luck!

ebmolldrem

Rough_Rock
Pricescope saves the day!
36.gif

Sirevan

Rough_Rock
Yes, Pricescope certainly saved the day! Thank you to all! I truly appreciate all your thoughts and comments.

As for pictures of the ring, it is still being made. The jeweler (a close family friend) is trying to make this ring as beautiful and perfect as it could be. So he is taking his time for the craft. It should be ready in the 2 weeks though. I''m very excited to see it for myself! Although once I do get the ring, I''ll post the pics after the proposal... I''m not 100 precent sure if she is aware of this site and reading these blogs.. yah know?! So I must protect the ultimate surprise
emwink.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
hmmmm, you better propose SOON then!!!
9.gif

Any other proposal ideas yet?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So glad you changed your mind! That would have just been mean.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
38.gif

Glad you were ''brought'' to your senses
9.gif

andrewlowe3

Rough_Rock
Absolutely TERRIBLE idea - don''t even think about it !. I know women who''ve had similar disappointments including my own own mother - it will definitely come back to haunt you

gongjoo143

Shiny_Rock
What an interesting thread... my friend actually did propose with a fake ring! I really really advised him not to do it, but he insisted. Apparently his girlfriend (now fiance) kept on saying that she didn''t care what kind of ring he got her (but in the meantime she had sent him pictures of settings and they both knew exactly what she wanted). So he wanted to play a joke on her and see if she really meant it. He bought a gorgeous 1.3 princess with platinum channelset ring, but then proposed with a dinky round stone in yellow gold solitaire (the opposite of what she wanted). I guess it went okay...because she said yes, and he pulled out the real ring soon after.

To me, that was really not romantic...but he said she would appreciate it... I guess he knew her better.
3.gif

Sirevan

Rough_Rock
Actually, I have to admit the fake ring was not my idea. My gf had a friend who got proposed to with a fake ring. My gf thought it was so funny. But I guess when you are on the recipient side, feelings could be a bit different.

And yes, I''ve totally nixed the fake ring idea thanks to everyone''s help! Thanks again to all!!! This weekend I ask for the parental''s permission...
face7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results