shape
carat
color
clarity

Something borrowed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
I have my something old, new, and blue and asked my mom if I could borrow my great grandmother''s gorgeous old miner''s cut diamond ring. She said yes and we talked about having it resized since the thing is tiny....I''m guessing a size 4 or lower (since I''m a size 5 and it won''t fit on any of my fingers!). Anyway, we were talking about taking it to our jeweler and my mom told me she''s planning to let me keep the ring after the wedding. Does it still count as something borrowed?

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, to me this sounds more like a gift than borrowed. I don''t think it matters a whole lot, but here is what I found about the tradition from a quick google search:

Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

A sixpence is a coin that was minted in Britain from 1551 to 1967. It was made of silver and worth six pennies. So this wedding tradition is definitely English, and many sources say that it began in the Victorian era.

Each item in this poem represents a good-luck token for the bride. If she carries all of them on her wedding day, her marriage will be happy. "Something old" symbolizes continuity with the bride''s family and the past. "Something new" means optimism and hope for the bride''s new life ahead. "Something borrowed" is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride. The borrowed item also reminds the bride that she can depend on her friends and family.

As for the colorful item, blue has been connected to weddings for centuries. In ancient Rome, brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity. Christianity has long dressed the Virgin Mary in blue, so purity was associated with the color. Before the late 19th century, blue was a popular color for wedding gowns, as evidenced in proverbs like, "Marry in blue, lover be true."

And finally, a silver sixpence in the bride''s shoe represents wealth and financial security. It may date back to a Scottish custom of a groom putting a silver coin under his foot for good luck. For optimum fortune, the sixpence should be in the left shoe. These days, a dime or a copper penny is sometimes substituted, and many companies sell keepsake sixpences for weddings.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Unless you really take that little saying seriously, I think that could work as your borrowed item if you want it to. So what if it later becomes a gift :)

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
As long as you *try* to give it back... then it was borrowed, technically.
2.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Ask your Mum to hold off giving you the ring till your 1st anniversary maybe? Then it''s really a something borrowed and you get to keep it a while later as a nice reminder of your big day
2.gif

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Give it back to her symbolically, and it counts :) She can give it right back!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results