shape
carat
color
clarity

Someone slap me...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
This is so pathetic I almost feel guilty posting it (hence slap me), but my mother has gotten the best of me. So please entertain me with one word answers or long explanations!!!

Does it really matter whether we have garden chairs or chiavari style chairs for the reception?? Is one more comfortable than the other? Sturdier? Prettier?

More importantly, have you ever actually remembered what kind of chairs you sat in at a wedding reception!?!?!

Will explain further after some feedback - don''t want to taint the answers
28.gif

missbennet

Rough_Rock
I prefer chiavari. i think they are more elegant and they are suprisingly comfortable

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never remembered the kind of chair I''ve sat in at a wedding.

That being said, I prefer the look of garden chairs.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I prefer chiavari
1.gif
I think they are prettier, plus I think they''re comfortable.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeks. I might be the odd one out here, but there was only one thing I insisted for at my wedding (i.e., paid to get something extra) were chiavari chairs. My hubby had no idea what I was going on and on about, but now every time he spots chiavari chairs on TV, he gets quite excited.

I really dislike chair covers though and the winery had "upgraded" their chairs to absolutely hideous ones. We would have had to pay extra to get any other chair, the chiavari were not significantly different in terms of price.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think it depends on the venue. I really stressed about this but I also got married in a rustic setting therefore the garden chairs were a better fit. I wanted bistro chairs but we couldn''t get them on the east coast. If you are getting married in a ballroom then my answer would be chivari. If you are getting married in a tent, it could go either way. I totally notice chairs but I am a detail person. I think they need to match the setting and feel, final answer.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I also prefer chiavaris, but it's not a make or break point for me, as I don't think I'll have the budget for it.

ETA: I only notice chairs because I have not-so-secret aspirations of being a wedding planner, and I like to look at all the little details. I think based on the feel/location of your reception, both chairs would be lovely.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually had to google "chiavari chairs" to figure out what you were talking about! I''ve attended a lot of weddings in the past but never realized there were different types of chairs!
3.gif
I like the look of garden chairs, now that I know the difference...and like Haven said, I really don''t remember chairs I''ve sat in at a wedding, I''m too busy mingling I suppose. I like the look of both, though!

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
No of course it doesn''t "really" matter, but I do think certain chairs suit certain settings better. I think garden chairs suit outdoor weddings and more casual receptions, while chiavari look better in formal ballroom type settings! I don''t think I usually remember chairs at weddings unless they are something out of the ordinary. Do whatever you like best and don''t look back!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far. I actually didn''t expect such a wide array of responses, but think it makes this all that much more interesting.

Just to give more detail...the reception is next fall in a large rustic barn. The reception is on the more informal/casual side and I anticipate long tables, if that helps at all.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 6:19:04 AM
Author: megumic
Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far. I actually didn''t expect such a wide array of responses, but think it makes this all that much more interesting.

Just to give more detail...the reception is next fall in a large rustic barn. The reception is on the more informal/casual side and I anticipate long tables, if that helps at all.

GARDEN CHAIRS!!!
9.gif
I think chiavaris might look out of place in a "rustic" setting...unless you were going for "rustic uber-glam", lol!!!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
garden chairs for sure. I saw pictures of chivari''s in my reception space and it looked completely out of place.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know what garden chairs look like, but I am assuming they look decent. Go with the one that costs the least. It doesn''t matter unless it REALLY matters to you..and it sounds like it doesn''t.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I broached this subject with FMIL once because I do prefer the look of chiavari chairs to covered chairs and she quickly convinced me that it didn''t really matter at all. She said she never noticed the chairs at any wedding, and she is quite into aesthetics and design. I believe her and am no longer worried about chairs.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I only remember chiviari chairs from one wedding, and only because they were so painful to sit on with my bruised tailbone!

blueberrydot

Shiny_Rock
Chiavari chairs are actually something that I'm really insistent upon for my wedding. I think I told my sister that my priorities were 1) amazing photographer and 2) chiavari chairs! I think they're so elegant in a very understated way, and they can completely transform the way a room looks. I actually have noticed at all the weddings I've been to whether they've had chiavari chairs or some other type of chair, and this started long before I even knew my SO, so I definitely had a preference for them before I had any thought of wedding planning in my mind. If it makes a difference to you, I think about 75% of all the "upscale" events that I've seen on wedding and event blogs use chiavari chairs. One of my favorite blogs is White Lilac, an event design company that specializes in "large scale parties and exclusive weddings" (according to their website) and most (but by no means all) of their events seem to feature chiavari chairs.

That being said, I can see how some people would prefer a different type of chair for an outdoor wedding, or a wedding with a rustic feel. However, I actually have seen many outdoorsy-ish weddings that used chiavari chairs and it looked beautiful, not out of place at all! Here's a link to some pictures of a wedding in a barn type setting, AND they used long tables as well so you can visualize how chiavari chairs may look like in your type of setting: Anna Kuperberg Photography

p.s. I hope it's ok to include all these links in my post - if it's not allowed, I'll take them down!

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 8:20:22 AM
Author: vc10um
Date: 1/13/2010 6:19:04 AM

GARDEN CHAIRS!!!
9.gif
I think chiavaris might look out of place in a ''rustic'' setting...unless you were going for ''rustic uber-glam'', lol!!!

I agree. Chiavari chairs would look a little out of place in a rustic setting.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t got a CLUE what the difference is. I vote- nobody remembers chairs.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 10:45:31 PM
Author: monarch64
I actually had to google ''chiavari chairs'' to figure out what you were talking about! I''ve attended a lot of weddings in the past but never realized there were different types of chairs!
3.gif
I like the look of garden chairs, now that I know the difference...and like Haven said, I really don''t remember chairs I''ve sat in at a wedding, I''m too busy mingling I suppose. I like the look of both, though!
I had to google it too!! I like both styles of chairs but it depends on your venue.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So that''s what they''re called!

I just kept calling them the spindly ones
39.gif

I do like them better, but with prices for everything else going out the craziness window I just can''t justify it
7.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
If it''s informal, why wouldn''t you use ''garden'' chairs?

Did I miss it, or did you not disclose which one of you is on which side of this disagreement?
2.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I agree the type of chair should depend on the type of reception and location.

The only time a remember reception chairs is when they''re cheap and plastic.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
meg i vote garden chairs! While chiavaris are beautiful, I feel they''re not worth the premium price especially for an outdoor wedding. I''m having a outdoor barn wedding in CA wine country and we''re using natural wood garden chairs because 1) they came with the venue rental (one less expense to worry about) and 2) they fit perfectly in the space

As far as remembering what kind of chairs I''ve sat in for weddings I''ve attended in the past...Most of the receptions were at hotels, so I remember hotel banquet chairs...not so elegant, but they didn''t kill the ambiance or anything.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://us.zilok.com/rental/65426-white-wedding-chair-with-padded-seat.html

Our venue didn't have outdoor chairs so we had to rent chairs for our ceremony. My venue wasn't rustic, it was a vineyard and a new one at that, but the chivari chairs were just to fou fou and uncomfortable. The ones above were affordable, looked great in the pictures, and comfortable. I'm really glad we got them, as I would have regretted spending too much on something most people do not notice. Plus Men seem to hate chivari chairs, and honestly they are really uncomfortable, plus they are pricey. As long as the chairs aren't hideous, I don't think anyone notices. BUT they do make a difference. Pics are from our wedding:

IMG_0420a.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0422a.jpg

IMG_0429a.jpg

Chivari chairs just wouldn't have anchored the setting the way these did. And they are comfortable too!

pinki

Shiny_Rock
The question was does it matter? My answer...NO. Chairs are not important. This reminds me of having to talk my BFF down from balling her eyes out because her raspberry tablecloths were not the shade of raspberry she wanted. My response to her was that in a year from now when friends and family reflect on her wedding day I guarantee that not one person will bring up table cloth colors.

This view on weddings is what keeps me calm through out my own wedding planning. Little stuff doesn''t matter to me. Of course I pour over the options and make decisions on my own taste, but I remind myself that if I show up and something isn''t PERFECT who cares, because that''s not what the day is about.

Cj

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 3:27:25 PM
Author: blueberrydot
Chiavari chairs are actually something that I''m really insistent upon for my wedding. I think I told my sister that my priorities were 1) amazing photographer and 2) chiavari chairs! I think they''re so elegant in a very understated way, and they can completely transform the way a room looks. I actually have noticed at all the weddings I''ve been to whether they''ve had chiavari chairs or some other type of chair, and this started long before I even knew my SO, so I definitely had a preference for them before I had any thought of wedding planning in my mind. If it makes a difference to you, I think about 75% of all the ''upscale'' events that I''ve seen on wedding and event blogs use chiavari chairs. One of my favorite blogs is White Lilac, an event design company that specializes in ''large scale parties and exclusive weddings'' (according to their website) and most (but by no means all) of their events seem to feature chiavari chairs.

That being said, I can see how some people would prefer a different type of chair for an outdoor wedding, or a wedding with a rustic feel. However, I actually have seen many outdoorsy-ish weddings that used chiavari chairs and it looked beautiful, not out of place at all! Here''s a link to some pictures of a wedding in a barn type setting, AND they used long tables as well so you can visualize how chiavari chairs may look like in your type of setting: Anna Kuperberg Photography

p.s. I hope it''s ok to include all these links in my post - if it''s not allowed, I''ll take them down!

Great links! I too thought Chiavari''s would look out of place, but done right it definitely works! Thanks for sharing those photos
26.gif

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 5:52:32 PM
Author: Amanda.Rx
I haven''t got a CLUE what the difference is. I vote- nobody remembers chairs.

THANK YOU Amanda! This is the kind of mini-slap I needed!!!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 6:51:42 PM
Author: HollyS
If it's informal, why wouldn't you use 'garden' chairs?

Did I miss it, or did you not disclose which one of you is on which side of this disagreement?
2.gif

You're right - I withheld my position so as not to taint the sample pool, but I'll give it up now since everyone has helped lots! Thanks to all!!!

Initially, I wanted chiavari's. My mom was adamantly opposed to ANYTHING that folds! (Oh me oh my goodness forbid it! Not chairs that fold!) Anyway, this was all fine and good until rental quotes started coming in: chiavari chair - $7; garden chair $2.50. With more than 100 chairs needing renting, we're talking big bucks! And someone (a fellow PSer - excuse my memory for forgetting who!) gave me the lovely wisdom that what you want people to remember from your wedding day is how happy and in love I am with FF, how much fun they had and how lovely our wedding was - NOT what kind of chairs we had or what we covered them with or whatever!

So, I just wanted to ask everyone to gather opinions, experiences, thoughts and support in both directions for the "chair battle" that is bound to pop up in the next few weeks. If there was truly a difference between the two for reasonable reasons, I'd spring for the more expensive chair. But hearing that chiavari's are flimsy and uncomfortable most certainly does not help my mom's case!

ALSO - a friend at lunch said FI and I should open an account titled "chiavari chairs" and put in the extra cash we would have spent on the chairs just to see if we actually care down the road...

Thanks again to all and will be sure to
29.gif
vent
29.gif
when the "chair battle" is upon us!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 7:36:01 PM

Date: 1/13/2010 6:51:42 PM
Author: HollyS
If it''s informal, why wouldn''t you use ''garden'' chairs?

2.gif

You''re right - I withheld my position so as not to taint the sample pool, but I''ll give it up now since everyone has helped lots! Thanks to all!!!

Initially, I wanted chiavari''s. My mom was adamantly opposed to ANYTHING that folds! (Oh me oh my goodness forbid it! Not chairs that fold!) Anyway, this was all fine and good until rental quotes started coming in: chiavari chair - $7; garden chair $2.50. With more than 100 chairs needing renting, we''re talking big bucks! And someone (a fellow PSer - excuse my memory for forgetting who!) gave me the lovely wisdom that what you want people to remember from your wedding day is how happy and in love I am with FF, how much fun they had and how lovely our wedding was - NOT what kind of chairs we had or what we covered them with or whatever!

So, I just wanted to ask everyone to gather opinions, experiences, thoughts and support in both directions for the ''chair battle'' that is bound to pop up in the next few weeks. If there was truly a difference between the two for reasonable reasons, I''d spring for the more expensive chair. But hearing that chiavari''s are flimsy and uncomfortable most certainly does not help my mom''s case!

ALSO - a friend at lunch said FI and I should open an account titled ''chiavari chairs'' and put in the extra cash we would have spent on the chairs just to see if we actually care down the road...

Thanks again to all and will be sure to
29.gif
vent
29.gif
when the ''chair battle'' is upon us!
With 100 guests that a $450 differance for chairs! Wouldn''t you rather put that towards your honneymoon or a nice cake or flowers or somthing else?

I prefer the look of the garden chairs too.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
OK I got the chiavari. Now what is a garden chair?
As you might have guessed I have no memory of what I sat on at
any wedding I ever attended.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results