shape
carat
color
clarity

someone help me understand this trend

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
and i don't mean to offend anyone who has photos like this, but i see this all the time with the sleeve pulled so far up that it hides most of the hand...why?

(random pics from the internet)

images
images
images

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoy wearing clothes with extra long sleeves.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoy wearing clothes with extra long sleeves.
i don't see that many super long sleeves around here so it hadn't occurred to me it's just the way the clothes were made. good point.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wondered about this also. They don’t seem to be trying to hide old lady hands, which is why I would do it! Maybe it’s a privacy issue to cover up any birthmarks or spots that could identify them. Just guessing though.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This happens when I buy a shirt or sweater that is not petite (in height, not size, lol) at 5'4" my arms are short and I am too lazy to hem sleeves. Personally they bug me

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I think it’s just an artistic effect - much like you photograph anything else with pretty surroundings - that some photographers did that many selfie-takers mimic when they do their own ring pics. From a marketing/sales perspective, I think the textures and effect kind of emit a sort of ‘luxury’ feel to the picture, and people (generally) admire/want that, so ... kinda like how a lot of food ads/commercials and restaurant decor use the color red - it makes people hungry for some reason.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kinda semi old trend. I have a coat that comes to about half handcover thee knuckles (the inner sleeve) And I have several shirts like this. I find it comfortable and my hands tend to stay warmer.

But yes does help with the old lady hands too....lol

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the big comfy slouchy sweaters with long sleeves like that.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say the same thing, it looks cozy!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's just that, I think - a trend. But with the sleeves on so many clothes so long these days, it may be a trend born of necessity!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I skipped my utility bill to buy bling. Now it's really cold at home so I gotta pull my sleeves down to keep my hands and wrist warm. #blingpriorities

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha... I'm wearing a shirt like that right now! I like them because they keep my hands warm. As someone with perpetually cold hands and feet, it's a bonus! Plus, when I type on my laptop, I like that it serves as a buffer from my hand on the metal; it just feels more comfortable.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Most of the time when I see this I want to know about the sweaters! I am neither interested in re(trends) and never take selfies, so outside of a cool sweater color....don't care.

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't notice it right away, but the photo you use as an icon, bludiva, crops the hand approximately where the cuff falls to "crop" the hands in the photos you posted. I believe the long cuff falling there is to make the hand and ring(s) pleasing to the eye. It has a symmetry.

AGBF

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
and i don't mean to offend anyone who has photos like this, but i see this all the time with the sleeve pulled so far up that it hides most of the hand...why?

(random pics from the internet)

images
images
images

Yeah!?!?! :confused:
I have to admit, though, the longer sleeves do keep my hands warm.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it lets the fingers appear longer, the ring itself bigger and conceals less appearing - eventually old lady hands.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve alwys thought it gives off a cosy vibe while also camouflaging the back of the hand that can sometimes be unflatteringly wrinkly or veiny (she says looking at her own hands ruefully).
But a little part of me wonders if it plays into the social idea that women need to be little and delicate by giving the appearance that the clothing is too big.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It makes the ring look larger without the expanse of skin in the hand is what I'm guessing.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I skipped my utility bill to buy bling. Now it's really cold at home so I gotta pull my sleeves down to keep my hands and wrist warm. #blingpriorities
:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't notice it right away, but the photo you use as an icon, bludiva, crops the hand approximately where the cuff falls to "crop" the hands in the photos you posted. I believe the long cuff falling there is to make the hand and ring(s) pleasing to the eye. It has a symmetry.

AGBF

I did notice that while I was posting. Guilty as charged! Good point about symmetry and as other posters mentioned putting the focus on the ring(s).

I thought at first maybe it was to cover "old lady hands" but I see it more with young hands or posed/professional photos tbh.

@the_mother_thing @ericad good points about the lux and cozy look, the hint of a cashmere sweater adds that vibe. But the sleeve pulled so far up that it hides most of the hand...I'm just not trendy enough to get used to that look.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It drives me crazy personally, I want to grab the hand and pull the sleeve up but what do I know - I'm old.:twisted2:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
778B4562-2FC0-4254-83F2-B544F0DCEEB3.jpeg This is how long my sleeves for most of my clothes normally are. I’m cold all the time. I try to cover up as much of my arm and hands as I can. I will even wear fingerless gloves in the office while working at the computer. I love anything with extra long tight sleeves. It makes a big difference as to how warm I am. I try to remember to pull back sleeves when I take pics.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's meant to look all cold-weather-ish, and wintery-snuggly.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It drives me crazy personally, I want to grab the hand and pull the sleeve up but what do I know - I'm old.:twisted2:

When I see the photo of the hand palm down and the rings showing, I like the look. When I see the sleeve just hanging down over the hand, in a casual shot with the rings not being the focus, it appears to me that the sleeve length is a matter of personal taste and may be related to how cold the person wearing the garment is! As another person who is always cold, I am glad that most people restrain themselves from undressing me! (My sin is not long sleeves, but many layers. I am often asked, "How many shirts do you have on?")

It is lovely to see you posting here again, Lorelei! :))

Deb :wavey:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I see the photo of the hand palm down and the rings showing, I like the look. When I see the sleeve just hanging down over the hand, in a casual shot with the rings not being the focus, it appears to me that the sleeve length is a matter of personal taste and may be related to how cold the person wearing the garment is! As another person who is always cold, I am glad that most people restrain themselves from undressing me! (My sin is not long sleeves, but many layers. I am often asked, "How many shirts do you have on?")

Lovely to see you too Deb!!

I think my thing is that it stems from having soggy wet sleeves from my school jumpers, thus, my urge to pull back said sleeves :eek-2:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely to see you too Deb!!

I think my thing is that it stems from having soggy wet sleeves from my school jumpers, thus, my urge to pull back said sleeves :eek-2:

:D:D:D
for me it's memories of super baggy clothes which were popular when i was in high school/college....i still have one of those XXL sweatshirts around somewhere

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

O. M. G. Are you me? I literally have to peel back the layers of shirts at my wrists to show how many shirts I am wearing, I am asked so often. Hey, layering works. But how can they be in short sleeves? I layer two to three thin, soft cotton long sleeves beneath my sweaters!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results