clarity

Someone go see this GIANT rock for us!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
BOULDER!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In what way can one rock it other than pendant?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG--that is one gigantic rock! I wonder how the original owner wore it in the first place?! 8)

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:o :o :o :o :o

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Needs a recut :devil:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Holy moly! That thing should have its own zip code :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1395369257|3638452 said:
Needs a recut :devil:

Somebody call rhino this should probably be an avr.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1395368414|3638426 said:

I've been looking for something to add just the right touch to the end of my scepter. This would work well. :bigsmile:

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1395370198|3638482 said:

I've been looking for something to add just the right touch to the end of my scepter. This would work well. :bigsmile:

We really see too few scepters!

(I think I know this jeweler in La Jolla, if I am correct they have a lot of significantly sized OECs.)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So interesting that this is for sale on ebay - I wonder if ebay really is a bona fide venue for sales of this magnitude - I always thought it was more for free advertising, but wow!

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Monster! How would people set this stone?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
it really does need a recut

I cant imagine using paypal for a half a million dollar item, hmmm, then again I cant imagine using cash either; I've never bought a half a million dollar item

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
AVR recut would be a good idea. :wavey:

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Be right back, I need to go wipe the drool off of my laptop. :-o

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You'd have to "set" it in a wheelbarrow!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know. Is it just me or would this be chancy to wear (even before the recut) on the NYC subways? Not sure my mittens would be able to cover this...
:cheeky:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think everyone will just assume it's fake. I know I would. Looks like something from Claire's.

And to hold it upright, I think you'd need one of those 2 finger rings.

I think 10-12 mm is the limit for me. :)

I'll let you all know if I get near my limit. :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
missy|1395405422|3638662 said:
I don't know. Is it just me or would this be chancy to wear (even before the recut) on the NYC subways? Not sure my mittens would be able to cover this...
:cheeky:

Can you imagine? I think even I would consider mugging someone for this thing. :lol:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I first saw the picture I thought, Yikes, what a lifeless looking diamond.

So I went to look at the paper.

As Ame has stated just above, it is an atrocious cut. I wanted to approximate what it might take to recut it.

I am not an expert at recuts and the shallow crown dictates that the girdle is going to have to come in quite a bit.

Paul, John or Carl or many other people here can probably tell me if I am being too liberal in how little I think the girdle will have to be reduced to allow a decent cut, but I am estimating a loss of weight to at least a 15.63ct diamond for it to look at all attractive. That is only a 14% loss though and I fear the crown will still be too shallow. It may easily require closer to a 20% loss of weight to make it truly special from a cut perspective.

Of course, someone with that amount of money might well appreciate the opportunity to buy a big stone uber cheap and then turn it into something more valuable.

Only one problem of course, at the price asked it is not uber cheap according to RAP. At full Rap that stone should be $359,260. As it weighs now at full rap it should only cost $419,980. Of course, cut like it is it would sell for a HUGE discount from Rap, and Rap really is only designed to cover diamonds up to 5cts, so using RAP to price this diamond is ridiculous.

I tried searching the rap list for available diamonds of this size and found only two with prices listed that were above 15 carats and below 15.95cts. One was a D - VS2 and the other an H - IF. Both of those were well over the million dollar price tag, with the D approaching 2.

So, now, we not only need a recutting expert to tell us what this diamond would really yield, but a large stone pricing expert to tell us what the stone is A, worth now, and B what would it be worth properly cut.

Or we need to just relax and enjoy seeing how poorly a big stone can look when it is cut only to save weight.

Wink

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy s**t

That table is big enough to eat dinner on.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That particular seller probably uses ebay mostly for advertising I think, but they have a lot of lower value items too. If you call them you can just buy directly from the store, which is what at least one PSer has done. I have been to their store. Its like a nicer Lang's with more varied selection.

They tend to sell for a big discount off asking, like most estate stores. So if a buyer did their homework re value as Wink suggests, then you could negotiate into the acceptable range. I think you could get 40% to 50% off asking from them in the right situation.

Wink a 20% loss doesn't seem to bad if the price was right. A 15ct rock is still huge! I don't think I have ever seen (pictures of) an RB that big anywhere but the major auction houses!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wink|1395416475|3638765 said:
When I first saw the picture I thought, Yikes, what a lifeless looking diamond.

So I went to look at the paper.

As Ame has stated just above, it is an atrocious cut. I wanted to approximate what it might take to recut it.

I am not an expert at recuts and the shallow crown dictates that the girdle is going to have to come in quite a bit.

Paul, John or Carl or many other people here can probably tell me if I am being too liberal in how little I think the girdle will have to be reduced to allow a decent cut, but I am estimating a loss of weight to at least a 15.63ct diamond for it to look at all attractive. That is only a 14% loss though and I fear the crown will still be too shallow. It may easily require closer to a 20% loss of weight to make it truly special from a cut perspective.

Of course, someone with that amount of money might well appreciate the opportunity to buy a big stone uber cheap and then turn it into something more valuable.

Only one problem of course, at the price asked it is not uber cheap according to RAP. At full Rap that stone should be $359,260. As it weighs now at full rap it should only cost $419,980. Of course, cut like it is it would sell for a HUGE discount from Rap, and Rap really is only designed to cover diamonds up to 5cts, so using RAP to price this diamond is ridiculous.

I tried searching the rap list for available diamonds of this size and found only two with prices listed that were above 15 carats and below 15.95cts. One was a D - VS2 and the other an H - IF. Both of those were well over the million dollar price tag, with the D approaching 2.

So, now, we not only need a recutting expert to tell us what this diamond would really yield, but a large stone pricing expert to tell us what the stone is A, worth now, and B what would it be worth properly cut.

Or we need to just relax and enjoy seeing how poorly a big stone can look when it is cut only to save weight.

Wink

Wink have you ever seen such a large diamond in person? I know you have had some 6+ ct Infinity diamonds... anything over 10ct in your hot little hands ever?

PS: Thanks for the great information on value cutting etc!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer,

I once held the American Star in my hands and laid it on my hand, much as in the original picture above. It is a 10.42ct D-IF EightStar.

It is Breathtaking!

I have never actually held a diamond as large as the one in this thread. Not a lot of call for them up here in Boise, Idaho.

I did get to hold the Adiel Topaz in my gloved hands. It was a 20,769ct Blue Topaz from Brasil that Richard Homer and I worked on for six years from the time we bought the rough until the time we sold the finished gem to a Japanese collector. It is the most beautifully cut large gem I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. Somewhere I have a video of it. I mainly invested in buying the rough and building a faceting machine large enough to allow Richard to get a good polish on the gem, which due to budgetary constraints and the time it takes to custom make such a machine with the preciseness necessary took four years of our time to complete.

Richard spent another year, evenings, weekends and his entire two week vacation to do the cutting and then it took a year to find a buyer. We still have the machine available to use again, should we ever find the right piece of rough.

Wink

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1395370198|3638482 said:

monarch, you crack me up! :lol: :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to buy it for a tension-set bracelet, but , :knockout:

screen_shot_2014-03-21_at_1.png

screen_shot_2014-03-21_at_0.png

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, and since we are looking at could have beens, seeing as how the spread is graded as EXCELLENT, if the diamond had enough depth to have been cut correctly, it could weigh in about 20.9cts with a 61% depth and the existing diameter. And it could actually be pretty.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results