shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody Slap Me! (long)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
So here''s the background:

SO and I decide we''re going to have a low-key Valentine''s Day. No cards, no crowded restaurant, nothing "typical." I ask if he''d mind going on a little road trip to a small eclectic town just over an hour and a half away. "Sure, why not?" is his answer. Now, I really wanted to go look at the little art galleries and shops and have a nice lunch, but I must admit, I knew there was a jewelry store in the town that I always see commercials about. Okay, he knew it too and although we''re going to NYC next month to shop for the ering, he humored me and took me to this little store.

The commercials for this place always end with "remember, never buy a diamond without looking at it under a microscope." So I thought it would be a great store with honest salespeople. Long story short, I clearly knew more about diamonds than any of the salespeople. I told them we were looking in the two carat range, but the biggest stone they had was 1.62 (and the GIA cert was old, so there wasn''t even a cut grade).

I quickly gave up hope that we''d find any promising diamonds at this place. So I moved on to gemstones. I found some gorgeous pink sapphire earrings and a fantastic amethyst ring but they had this really great aquamarine ring (in my size, in white gold) for around $500.

(Here''s why you need to slap me):

SO says "well, pick out what you want and we''ll get it. Do you want that aquamarine ring?" He gets in these moods every so often where he''ll offer to buy something for me but if I don''t accept, offer is off the table within 10 minutes. I walked around the store with the ring looked at it in different lights, liked it (didn''t love it) and eventually said "thanks but no thanks." Now of course I''m kicking myself. I got home and loaded up the Tiffany''s website and showed him the aquamarine stacking rings that are around $350. Too late. Offer was off the table.

Dang! I should have known better! Would have been a romantic story Vday story....
37.gif

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Well I still think it''s a cute Valentine''s story. You were sweet enough to not take advantage of the situation simply because he offered, since you didn''t totally love the ring. I think that shows how considerate you are of him.

That being said, girl you have major self-control! lol! Maybe another shopping excursion to Tiffany''s is in store
27.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 10:15:16 AM
Author: idreamofcushions
Well I still think it''s a cute Valentine''s story. You were sweet enough to not take advantage of the situation simply because he offered, since you didn''t totally love the ring. I think that shows how considerate you are of him.

That being said, girl you have major self-control! lol! Maybe another shopping excursion to Tiffany''s is in store
27.gif
ditto! way to stay strong :)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
hey look at it this way, thats an extra 500 towards an ering.
Altho aquamarines are yummy!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 12:41:02 AM
Author: ckrickett
hey look at it this way, thats an extra 500 towards an ering.
Altho aquamarines are yummy!
emthup.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Lol.... Bet you''re kickin'' yourself in the arse about it, huh?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 10:15:16 AM
Author: idreamofcushions

I agree! Besides, there will be a next time that you really love the item being offered.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is a cute story! I can totally relate to it to. My BF always does that! He will give me the go ahead to buy something when I get excited. However, once he says that it makes me really think if it is something I LOVE or am just wanting in the moment. So I usually say no, nevermind. On a few things I do feel like kicking myself for saying no when I realize I do LOVE it, but the offer is off the table. Oh well.

I guess it just means something better will come along that you will LOVE and won''t be able to turn away... or like others have said $500 more towards the e-ring. :)

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies ladies!

Oh, I always tell him things like "oh let''s not bother going out for supper. I''ll cook and you can put the 50 bucks you were going to spend towards my diamond." (I think that fund has got to be up to around $10,000 by now, haha).

Yeah, I very rarely regret not letting him buy me things. It''s usually an impulse buy and not something I REALLY wanted. However, one day we were leaving the mall and he said "hon, if you really want a pair of those Ugg boots, I''ll go buy you some." I was tired and cranky and said "nah, let''s just go home."

Now everytime I tell him my feet are cold he says, "hey, I offered to buy you those ridiculously expensive boots, your loss."

Grrr. Oh boys....

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Your lucky he even offered to buy you a $500 ring! My guy hasn''t done that before
40.gif
but then again, maybe because he doesn''t have ''the job'' yet and never has had ''the job''. Things could change once he has a better job and can spend more money.

I wouldn''t worry too much, you said you didn''t love the ring. So why spend $500 on something you don''t LOVE.....

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 1:29:44 PM
Author: Iowa Lizzy
Thanks for the replies ladies!

Oh, I always tell him things like ''oh let''s not bother going out for supper. I''ll cook and you can put the 50 bucks you were going to spend towards my diamond.'' (I think that fund has got to be up to around $10,000 by now, haha).

Yeah, I very rarely regret not letting him buy me things. It''s usually an impulse buy and not something I REALLY wanted. However, one day we were leaving the mall and he said ''hon, if you really want a pair of those Ugg boots, I''ll go buy you some.'' I was tired and cranky and said ''nah, let''s just go home.''

Now everytime I tell him my feet are cold he says, ''hey, I offered to buy you those ridiculously expensive boots, your loss.''

Grrr. Oh boys....

Yep, sounds just like my BF. Maybe they are related. haha.

I say we should not do certain things too for him to save, but in reality it won''t affect much. He often tells me "either you get it or I''m going to use the money to buy my ___."
20.gif
Silly boys... gotta love em! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results