shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire to Three-Stone... Which metal to use?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Well, now that I have tackled the issue of side stones... I need some input regarding metal choices. I really like this Ritani-inspired ring that WF crafted for another poster. After considering the size of the sides, I think that I am leaning toward resetting my .50 RB as the center with two .20 for the sides. I don''t really need the ring to look too engagementy. DH and I have been married for 10 years. I would like to convert my solitaire to a three stone to represent our marriage and our two children.

Okay, here comes the metal dilemma. My RB is currently set in its original 14k yg Tiffany style four prong. With it, I wear a 14k yg, channel set, half eternity band that DH gave to me for our anniversary last year. I would like to wear this band with the three stone ring.

If I were to go with a design such as the one here, what would be the best metal choice/combination taking into account my anniversary band? Could I do a 14k yg band with the head part in platinum? Scott Kay has designs that look lovely with the yg band and white metal encasing the three stones. But is it okay to put the platinum next to my 14k band? What other options should I consider?

Any and all thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated!

WF Ritani-Insp 3st.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
that ring looks pretty much like and exact copy of the Ritani rather than *inspired* but that's another issue..

as for your questions, I've heard a folks using plat. prongs/ring heads on 14 or 18K gold settings all the time, so I think you'd be ok to do that.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The newest, and whitest of the recent white gold alloys is very good metal and a lot less costly than platinum. I'd suggest re-setting your channel band to match the setting style and color of the new engagement, three stone ring. Make the entire new set in white gold and have everything match. Doing both rings in gold will still probably cost less than doing one in platinum.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
YG bands with platinum heads are very popular (and safe) and definitely ok! My opinion is to have this ring with yg and a plat head. If you want the new ring in wg or plat, I''d have your anniversary band reset too...I''m not sure how a yg anniversary band and a white 2 stone ring would look together...

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the replies! Oddly enough, it never even occured to me to reset both my e-ring stone AND the anniversary band stones. That would open up a world of possibilities. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. LOL!!!!

I am going to give that option some thought. WG would be really nice...

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results