shape
carat
color
clarity

SOLD A Very Ugly Diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Up for your esteemed consideration is a Very Ugly Diamond. I acquired this Very Ugly Diamond as part of a pair - I fell hard for the other. Now that I've broken the partnership and her mate is far, far away, I'm recognising that it's high time I sent her off on her own journey.

Now, she knows she's got nothing on Lopsy Fugs, but... some of us must settle for tertiary notoriety; that's just the way of things. And she knows she's actually quite a spectacular specimen, if one is sufficiently open-minded to appreciate her uniqueness. Let's start on the outside and work our way in...

She's white to the eye - I'd call her a G/H in comparison to my other GIA stones. In terms of polish she's unremarkable - no noteworthy external polish characteristics, facet-meets are clean and un-worn, culet is intact. She has a sizable table and an unfinished girdle, and optical symmetry is neither poor nor excellent. She delights in showing off her 'strong' blue fluorescence ('strong' might mean Strong or Very Strong, I couldn't say with any certainty since I've never had her appraised). In fact, for those who might have been searching for the very rare "over-blue" - it's your lucky day!! Her inclusions combined with her fluorescence are guaranteed to turn her slightly milky in sunlight. She sparkles and twinkles in the sun, but the flashes of light seem to emanate from a backdrop of misty blue haze.

Speaking of inclusions - this is where we really start peeling the onion! Take this first photo that focuses deep inside the stone, near the pavilion facets. We've got a veritable alphabet soup of crystals, feathering, clouds, and other internal characteristics:

These are essential in creating her "over-blue" complexion, and can provide hours of entertainment with a loupe - it's like finding shapes in the clouds, only unlike clouds (dastardly fickle things that they are) her patterns will be forever unchanged. No matter how she's set, no matter how she's oriented, her inclusions will always be reassuringly visible. I present, for example, an anteater in a bowtie:
vud_ae_cc.png

Pull the focus back slightly, into the middle of the stone, and find a much sharper view of the crystals (perhaps some cavities as well?):

And now retract depth-of-field even further, to right under the table, to reveal... Wisps? Aggregates of pinpoints? Shadowed internal deformations?

You see, this Very Ugly Diamond not only exhibits an exhaustive variety of inclusions, she's got layers of inclusions!!

She's the perfect candidate for one-of-a-kind projects. Is, say, the proposition of a diamond keychain not marvellously luxe? Yet what well-minded PSer would willingly submit any other type of diamond to that sort of banging and clanging and scratching and scraping? In hair ribbons. As a wine-glass charm. In a brooch, or a tie for a purse. Decorate your feline or canine partner's collar. The possibilities are endless...

I'm listing her at $235 for 0.532ct by my gem scale - the palindrome pleases me. It's a lot of stone for not a lot of money: tertiary notoriety merits a minimalist price-tag. (And alliteration also pleases me). So... 8)

vud_distance2.png

vud_fluor_3.png

vud_pav_c.png

vud_tbl_c.png

vud_mid_cc.png

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Re: A Very Ugly Diamond.

Funniest dang thing I've seen in 3 days. I love the anteater!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:clap: :clap:

If that doesn't bring buyers running, I don't know what will. Yssie, please consider a career as a copywriter if you aren't already one!

Best. Listing. Ever!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

+1

Earlier today, I contacted a seller about a CS. I asked questions about it's color and how it performed, describing the color I was seeking. They came out and said that it would be too grey for me. Honesty is so refreshing!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock

aha this had me busting up, Yssie!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How can you sell her?!?!?!
Poor thing.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

Aww, she's precious. No one puts VUD in the corner!

Thanks for clearing up the anteater thing; I was leaning more toward is it a rabbit, or is it a duck?

Seriously, she has some interesting inclusions. If only we could see things at a macro-loupe level all the time, stones like this would get a lot more love. Regardless, I'm sure she'll sell! Her story is charming.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yssie, I've actually seriously been looking for an overblue! The description is gravy. ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe|1429188885|3862840 said:
Yssie, I've actually seriously been looking for an overblue! The description is gravy. ;-)
She she said that on Tue description I thought of you.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

Humorously clever description and illustration! All the best with your sale!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock

Agree with others - best listing description ever. Yssie - you have a way with words :appl:

Kroshka

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

So clever and very well done!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Niel|1429189342|3862844 said:
Circe|1429188885|3862840 said:
She she said that on Tue description I thought of you.

Hee, you know me well. Now I'm just trying to figure out how I'd *set* it ... :naughty:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

:lol: This is certainly the 1st post of this kind I've ever seen in 13yrs here. As the old saying goes.... "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Thanks for the chuckle & good luck with this sale. Although I think you already have a buyer..go for it Circe.. Can't wait for the incoming thread. ;))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie: I've thought long and hard about this, and have some sage marketing advice for you: since the last I checked there were far more cat owners than anteater owners, and cats are so incredibly popular, it would be wise for you to um, *cough, cough* use some extra creativity in your listing and describe the inclusions as a "Cat in a Bow Tie."

Take my advice for what it is worth, as such a treasure will clearly sell no matter what. :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Minous love, you are so right!! Oh, if only I'd had your foresight and marketing prowess... sadly I'm well out of my edit window, and I fear too many people have now seen my clumsy venture :(sad

Oh, well. I suppose the grateful thing to do would be to consider it a learning experience?
:bigsmile:
minousbijoux|1429287950|3863575 said:
Yssie: I've thought long and hard about this, and have some sage marketing advice for you: since the last I checked there were far more cat owners than anteater owners, and cats are so incredibly popular, it would be wise for you to um, *cough, cough* use some extra creativity in your listing and describe the inclusions as a "Cat in a Bow Tie."

Take my advice for what it is worth, as such a treasure will clearly sell no matter what. :bigsmile:

A few more pics, as a few people have requested. It was devilishly difficult to photograph in the sun - it was so bright that my poor camera couldn't help but wash everything out to white, even at smallest aperture and fastest shutter speed. These are my best attempts - The VUD sparkles in the sun, and she doesn't have that "salt and pepper" look at all - her inclusions are of a different flavour ::)

vud_ex_1.png

vud_ex_2.png

vud_ex_3.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Del*

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol: Greatest listing ever!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

Best sale thread description I've ever read! :clap: Too funny! I personally like the idea for blinging up a keychain or dog/cat collar. Best of luck with this sale. I hope whoever gets this will share the continued journey of this stone. :appl:

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock

Sent you a message!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have to tell us if Vud is moving to a new home..... (sorry I have taken to calling her Vud now can't help myself). :saint:

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

If my daughter was a little older I would snap this right up. I'm going to have medical alert bracelet made when she is older. Hopefully a significantly sized diamond will help to encourage her to wear it and make it a much cooler piece of jewelry.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock

ponder|1429724465|3865944 said:
If my daughter was a little older I would snap this right up. I'm going to have medical alert bracelet made when she is older. Hopefully a significantly sized diamond will help to encourage her to wear it and make it a much cooler piece of jewelry.

That's a brilliant idea!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is the size mm? I might have an ugly twin

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Hmm....you might remember that I wanted a diamond key chain. :naughty: Actually, I think I have the perfect project for this...sending you an email.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CHRISTINA!!!

Oh my goodness, it's good to see you back :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The VUD is SOLD to another very lovely PSer :bigsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results