shape
carat
color
clarity

Soft and chewy cookie recipe?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I’m looking for a great from - scratch chocolate chip cookie recipe that is soft and chewy. I prefer them kind of crunchy, but my boys hanker after soft and chewy. No matter which recipe I use, they go kinda pouffy and cake like. Still nice, but most definitely not soft and chewy. Anyone willing to share?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
This is a Williams-Sonoma recipe that I love.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

These chocolate chip cookies are chewy in texture because they rely on room-temperature butter that is beaten with the sugar until fluffy.

2.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
16 tbs (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
12 oz chocolate chips (my note: I used Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips- one whole bag)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

Over a sheet of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. (My note: I don't sift it; I should try it next time.).

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter on medium-low speed until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add the brown and granulated sugars, increase the speed to medium, and beat until slightly fluffy, about 1 minute, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in the vanilla, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Reduce the speed to low, gradually add the flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate chips (My note: I just use the mixer to stir in the chocolate).

Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared pan, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Makes 36 cookies.

You should play around with optimal baking time; I bake mine for 9 minutes, not the 12-15 minutes the recipe states. They look slightly underdone when I take them out, and then they settle into a lovely chewy cookie once out of the oven.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oats
Have you tried adding oats to your regular recepie ?
Take out some of the flour
Rolled oats helps keep baking moist but also adds that lovelly oat texture

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t beat the sugars into the butter till fluffy and up the sides of the mixing bowl like you would for a cake, and 60-90 seconds in the oven sometimes is the difference between crisp and chewy.
I use the New York Times chocolate chip cookie recipe, always scoop then chill.
But I brown a portion of the butter, double the salt and double the vanilla!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone! We’re snowed in here, so cookies it is :geek2:

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Don’t beat the sugars into the butter till fluffy and up the sides of the mixing bowl like you would for a cake, and 60-90 seconds in the oven sometimes is the difference between crisp and chewy.

@Rfisher, interesting! So you whip the butter before adding the sugar?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher, interesting! So you whip the butter before adding the sugar?
Only if it’s super cold fresh from the fridge, just to get the majority of the hard lumps out.
Otherwise you’d end up with butter chunks in your batter. Not a good result.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1 ... + another thing ...

1. Yes, bake any cookie recipe longer for crunchy, and less for chewy. :)

2. Also experiment with chilling the dough.
Colder dough spreads less in the oven, so the middle stays thicker and is more chewy.
Room temp dough spreads more, and results in thinner cookies.
Obviously dough temp affects cooking time.

Experiment with various combinations of 1 and 2 to arrive at the balance you like.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my favourite cookie. It kind of reminds of me of the soft subway cookies:

• 2 1/4 c flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 c butter
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 3/4 c light brown sugar (I have used brown too)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c white chocolate chips
  • 1 c Skor bits

Or 2 c chocolate chips whatever you want! But 2 cups in total.

Heat oven at 375° F.

Cream butter and sugars.
Add eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla. In a separate bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. While the mixer is on slow add the flour mixture.
Continue until mixed. Stir in white chocolate and Skor bits.
Scoop onto a silicon liner/parchment on a cookie sheet. I use a ice cream scoop for bigger cookies – makes approx 20. (six to a sheet)
Bake for 8-10 minutes or desired consistency.

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
I refuse to eat anything but soft baked cookies. This is the best recipe I've come across. The pudding mix is what makes them so soft...

• 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3.4 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
  • Using a stand or electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on high speed until light and creamy, at least 3 minutes. Do not skip this step. Once combined, add the pudding mix, vanilla and eggs and beat on high for 2-3 minutes.
  • Slowly add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and turn the mixer on low to start so the flour doesn't get everywhere. Turn the mixer up to high and mix until combined. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and repeat until dough is just combined. Add chocolate chips and stir with a rubber spatula until incorporated.
  • Drop cookies by 1/4 cup onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly golden and just set on the top. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for two minutes then transfer to a baking rack to cool completely.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 ... + another thing ...

1. Yes, bake any cookie recipe longer for crunchy, and less for chewy. :)

2. Also experiment with chilling the dough.
Colder dough spreads less in the oven, so the middle stays thicker and is more chewy.
Room temp dough spreads more, and results in thinner cookies.
Obviously dough temp affects cooking time.

Experiment with various combinations of 1 and 2 to arrive at the balance you like.

I totally agree with chilling the dough - definitely makes the center softer and chewier. I always use a cold cookie sheet for each batch meaning you need to use at least two cookie sheets. Don’t put another batch on the same cookie sheet that is still warm. I take out the dough for a batch and put the rest back in the refrigerator between batches.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree with chilling the dough - definitely makes the center softer and chewier. I always use a cold cookie sheet for each batch meaning you need to use at least two cookie sheets. Don’t put another batch on the same cookie sheet that is still warm. I take out the dough for a batch and put the rest back in the refrigerator between batches.

Oh! Good idea about the cookie sheet.:clap:
Makes sense.
That had not occurred to me.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone! We’re snowed in here, so cookies it is :geek2:

My mum always baked to stay warm in the winter
its not chocolate but ive been making ANZAC biscuits alot lately
They are quick and easy and have no fancy requirements
The NZ version is more chewy than the Aussie ones. One is not surposed to add stuff but they taste great with choc chips and/or dried apricot etc just don't call then ANZAC biscuits
And they are so delicouse before they even go in the oven
All regular pantry staples - if you don't have golden syrup use one of those cheap maple flavoured breakfast syrups
The Edmonds cook book is the highest selling book in NZ - every house has at least one edition
Chelsea is just the brand of sugar we have here

180 degrees C is about 350 In F but of course less for fanbake
50g seems to be a smidgion less than half a stick of butter
too much wet ingredients will make a crisper biscuit. If it feels too wet add a tiny bit more flour and a wee bit more oats
The mix should look a bit dry but will come together nicely in your hands as you form each biscuit (cookie)
The recepie only makes about 8 or 9 biscuits

No sifting, its a really fast recepie, a mixing bowl and a pyrex jug

i melt my butter in the microwave and add the syrup and water and bicarbonate of soda to the butter
These are mine, sorry the non choc chip version 20191116_111124.jpg

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies last week for my man and they turned out really soft and chewy, even after being refrigerated.

I used this recipe. Nothing magical or hard work (I don't like to labour over cooking or baking, lol). I just followed the recipe and added a quarter more butter than stated....it's the extra butter that makes the cookies extra soft and chewy. The only thing is that these bad boys don't hold their shape.

Oh, and I put the dough in the fridge before turning it into balls and then I put the balls in the freezer for about half an hour to an hour right before baking.

(Incidentally, I usually use a bit less sugar bc neither he nor I like the cookies too overly sweet).

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if they classify as cookies, however I love the soft and gooey texture of almond macaroons, and they are easy to make.

DK :))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if they classify as cookies, however I love the soft and gooey texture of almond macaroons, and they are easy to make.

DK :))

Yummmm!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
To this day after trying different recipes my favorite and easy one to follow bc I always have all the ingredients is Nestle Toll House recipe. Hands down a family favorite here.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This recipe came from Yankee magazine, gee, must be over 20 years ago. I think what makes them chewy is the 1/4 cup shortening (I use Crisco butter stick) and maple syrup. I don't bother with white chocolate as I find it too sweet and I will use all chips most of the time (rather than including chunked up chocolate). I don't measure the amount of chips. My rule is keep adding chocolate chips until it seems like too much, then add another cup!

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 5.30.15 PM.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This recipe came from Yankee magazine, gee, must be over 20 years ago. I think what makes them chewy is the 1/4 cup shortening (I use Crisco butter stick) and maple syrup. I don't bother with white chocolate as I find it too sweet and I will use all chips most of the time (rather than including chunked up chocolate). I don't measure the amount of chips. My rule is keep adding chocolate chips until it seems like too much, then add another cup!

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 5.30.15 PM.png

How prevalent is the maple syrup taste? Do you generally like maple? As in if someone doesn’t like it, could they detect it?
And are you using real maple syrup or mrs butter worth? I’ve seen corn syrup or lyles added for chewy-ness, but haven’t tried those recipes.
Thx!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How prevalent is the maple syrup taste? Do you generally like maple? As in if someone doesn’t like it, could they detect it?
And are you using real maple syrup or mrs butter worth? I’ve seen corn syrup or lyles added for chewy-ness, but haven’t tried those recipes.
Thx!

I use real maple syrup, which I do love the taste of, but I don't think it's prevalent at all. I can't think of a time when someone has asked if there was maple syrup in the cookies. They are a hit with my students!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I put chocolate chip dough in a 9x13 and underbake it. Sooo soft and gooey. Does it have to be a cookie, or would a bar work?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results