So...who saw Star Wars?

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
:bigsmile: I did!

What did y'all think?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I liked it, but didn't love it.

Much better than episodes 1-3, but not as good as the originals in my opinion.

Everyone else I went with said it was the best movie ever so what do I know?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did. Much better than episodes 1-3. It was a strong movie.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I haven't yet, but plan to when all of the hoop-la dies down. We rarely see movies as it is, let alone trying to fight the crowds on an opening weekend. We will probably go in a couple of weeks. For those who've seen it, what would you say the appropriate age for kids might be (as in, what age might be too young for it)? Thanks!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1450470971|3963179 said:
I haven't yet, but plan to when all of the hoop-la dies down. We rarely see movies as it is, let alone trying to fight the crowds on an opening weekend. We will probably go in a couple of weeks. For those who've seen it, what would you say the appropriate age for kids might be (as in, what age might be too young for it)? Thanks!

The content is on par with the original 3 movies, so I would say 10 would be a good age to really understand it. There were younger kids in the theater last night.

Not giving too much away, but there is a scene where innocent people are killed (other movies had a similar theme, but you didn't see the people first).

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing that, chemgirl. One of my kids is sensitive to that sort of thing (violence) even though most would consider them age-appropriate for movies along the lines of Star Wars. I haven't decided yet if we will take the kids.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm seeing it tomorrow.
In the meantime, here is a little Star Wars humor:

_1126.jpeg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw it last night at a private viewing at 7pm hosted by Fidelity Investments Private Client Group. Saw lines around the block outside, but since we were admitted early through a special door, there were no lines at the concession stand. While we had all of theater #12, Merrill Lynch guests had a different theater.

This was my very first Star Wars movie and the only way I could tell the good guys from the bad guys was to listen to the music written by John Williams.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madam Bijoux|1450477605|3963223 said:
I'm seeing it tomorrow.

Oddly appropriate for tonight's Big Bang Theory.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw it- it's very good. Some bittersweet moments.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're going tomorrow. I didn't want to go-I never saw the 1-3 and only am familiar w/the first three original ones from when I was little. I figured it was Lucas churning something out to cash in, banking on the fact that people love SW and will flock to the franchise. JD said it's nothing to w/the 1-3, and it supposed to be thirty years after the originals and some of the same actors are in it. So. I'll go.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you do your hair first?

screen_shot_2015-12-19_at_8.png

katharath

Ideal_Rock
We saw it today. I'm not a truly massive fan (DH is), but I've always enjoyed them (at least the original trilogy). I feel like I'm able to be less biased than my DH bc I'm not so attached, with these huge expectations.

And...I thought it was great. I was watching rather clinically for the first 60-70% of the movie, but then at the end it actually affected me on an emotional level. I was shocked that it could do that. It was mostly due to the acting of the main female lead, who was wonderful. FINALLY a truly great female character in SW!!

It feels authentic to the original trilogy without pandering; and the acting, writing, directing overall are huge steps above the most recent trilogy (which I had a lot of issues with).

I think it's up there easily with the level of the first trilogy, if not better in many ways. The sad thing is, that's almost certainly bc Lucas had so little to do with it. He really blew it on the last trilogy; the best thing he's done since completing the first one was selling the rights.

We took our 8 and 11 yr olds. The 8 yr old was bored (but extremely well behaved nevertheless); the 11 yr old loved it. Unfortunately a LOT of people brought young kids, mostly toddlers up to age 6-7 yr olds (lots of 3-6 yr olds) who were not well behaved, and it's a long movie, especially when kids are constantly screaming in your ear. After we had kids, there were long stretches where DH and I didn't go to the movies literally at all, unless we had a sitter (which was RARE, once a year if lucky!) - sure would be nice if other parents would do that. Small loud children at inappropriate movies irks me, can you tell? There were a lot of people who wanted to hear the movie tonight who had kids constantly either crying or chattering away right behind them (myself and DH included). Frustrating. But other than that it was a good time all around. Even my bored 8 yr old had fun for some of the time :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am off to see it in about 2.5h's time.

DK :))

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw it last night. I thought it was lame and predictable. Same old jokes. Hubby loved it.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Well...it was Star Wars, not a Lars von Trier flick ;-)

It certainly followed a certain formula. I wouldn't really have expected anything wildly different. If you're someone who is looking for that, it's probably not the right movie.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved it.

DK :bigsmile:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We went today and I enjoyed it. It was more along the lines of the originals than I thought it would be.

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
For what it's worth, we took our 4.5 year old to the 7:00 showing and he did great! We took the time and explained to him that the movie isn't real and it's not nice to do what the stormtroopers do to people. I think he got the general gist of the movie but was more excited to see things blow up *shrugs* boys, what can you do? I also got him and DH light sabers for Christmas to duel it out :bigsmile:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are going on Xmas day. We are doing our VERY best to avoid any spoilers though I already learned about one major actor's role, and that now is my mission to avoid ruining for DH. He literally wants to know NOTHING about it, including cast information. He was pissed he found out that actor was in it.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Saw it on Saturday - thoroughly enjoyed it, especially compared to eps 1-3. Saw it again today (free showing offered by in law's financial group). MIL did not like it. The rest of us did. Didn't get to find out why MIL didn't like it.

Second time around, got to sit back and look for easter eggs.

Have one friend who hated it b/c of what happened to one character - said there was no emotional pay off. Seeing it again today, I think he's just being a whiny brat. It's not at all what he described it to be.

I will say, it is predictable in spots. But I don't feel like I got ripped off or lost two hours of my life that I will never get back. So, I think it's a solid movie.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Husband is an avid Star Wars fan. I'm not.

Neither of us liked it.

It took DH a while to admit it - at first he said he gave it at a 6 or 7 out of 10, yet everything he was expressing put it closer to a 3. I think he was so disappointed at being disappointed that he couldn't bring himself to say it, it was almost as if saying he didn't like the movie was saying he didn't like Star Wars. He had been looking so forward to this movie. But finally...the more we talked, he came around to realizing how much he didn't like it, and being able to say it.

We both felt we were watching Episode IV (I only know it was Episode IV because he told me) - I just felt like I was watching the "old" Star Wars all over again. We wanted more dark against light, more anger, more darkness. Not at all what we had expected. Plus he pointed out a lot of things that didn't jive with the history of Star Wars.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a movie. That said I remember getting excited when "STAR WARS" showed up on the screen and the text started (though my youngest asked, are they running the credits already?" It is reminiscent of the old movie serials, where things would end on a cliff hanger and you would have to wait for the next installment (I only know this from my Mom). So I don't expect high art, and I thought they did a very good job of maintaining the feeling of the first 3 movies (including using muppets yay!). There were some funny moments in the movie, and I don't know if they were intentional or not; Kylo Ren having tantrums (people in the theatre chuckled) and also the ineptness of the storm troopers, at pretty much everything (other than mowing down a group of unarmed civilians).

I also thought that they really underutilized Gwendoline Cristie's (aka Brienne of Tarth) character. Hopefully she survived and will actually, um do something in the next movie.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved it... But I loved all of them so maybe not a good judge.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Madam Bijoux|1450477605|3963223 said:
I'm seeing it tomorrow.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not yet. Need to go see it this next week. EVERYONE at DH's office has seen and we don't want him to be the wierd guy. (we always wait until Bluray release, buy on big sale, and watch at home)

Haven't been to a movie in 4 years...
(I am SO looking forward to an evening out! We haven't had so much as dinner out or even alone in over a year. More excited for that than the movie!)

So.... When is a good time to go? What avoids noisy kids/people? Better week day during work time or late evening?

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
random_thought|1450716956|3964297 said:
For what it's worth, we took our 4.5 year old to the 7:00 showing and he did great! We took the time and explained to him that the movie isn't real and it's not nice to do what the stormtroopers do to people. I think he got the general gist of the movie but was more excited to see things blow up *shrugs* boys, what can you do? I also got him and DH light sabers for Christmas to duel it out :bigsmile:

I was thinking about taking my kids but I just realized that I was 3.5 when Return of the Jedi was in theaters. WTH were my parents thinking? Nevermind, it was '83 and going to the movies was a BIG deal. All I remember was that Jaba the Hut scared the hell out of me and I spent the first half of the movie with my face in my dad's armpit. After that I think I loved it.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I am an ancient being who can remember going to see the first one with my husband shortly before we were married in 1977. Who would have thought back then that we would be attending another new Star Wars movie in 2015!!! I was kind of disappointed in it. It just seemed like a re-hash of stuff they had done before.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
***spoiler alert!!!***

Darth Jr. threw a fit. Really?? Can anyone say "millennial Darth"? What self respecting Sith Lord or Darth Vadar pupil would take his light saber to a control panel? And what was that mask about? At least the true Dark Lord had some serious facial deformities to hide. This little wuss? Omg. Not a decent scar to speak of. Thank goodness Rey gives him something to cover up. The movie would be fun for people who didn't see the original in the theater, but to me it was a mash up. Tie fighters attacking Death Star, Han going in to shut down the shield, light saber battle...

But hey, still family fun for everyone!!

April20

Ideal_Rock
We saw it. I was pretty MEH about it, but I'm not a SW fan, so no one should listen to me. DH is a big SW fan. He liked it but said he felt is was more a remake than a continuation of the series.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results