shape
carat
color
clarity

So, what about mail and Amazon Prime packages?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just put pure 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, into a spray bottle - super cheap and available at Costco.

It's only around 10% of the price of any brand name product, and it's the active ingredient everyone tells us to look for in a hand sanitizer.
It can dry your skin out though so I use one of those disposable Nitrile gloves, which cost only 5 cents each at Costco.
Spray bottles are a buck or two at Home Depot or the 99 cent store.

I walk around the house and use it to spray & wipe doorknobs, handles in the kitchen, etc.
I also prefer it to bleach as I don't have to worry about it staining clothing, dishtowels etc.

My dh sprays everything with alcohol. The issue here is every store including Costco is out of 70% (and higher) isopropyl alcohol. No isopropyl alcohol is available in our area. So my dh ordered denatured alcohol as that’s still available thankfully.My dh uses it for cleaning circuit boards so it has a few uses. It leaves no residue.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I spoke too soon.
I just got back from Costco and the IA was sold out, as was over half of what was on my list. :blackeye:

But thank Glob they've eliminated those fragging traffic-jam-causing free-sample stands. :dance:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I spoke too soon.
I just got back from Costco and the IA was sold out, as was over half of what was on my list. :blackeye:

But thank Glob they've eliminated those fragging traffic-jam-causing free-sample stands. :dance:

Yeah and the list gets longer every week.

3C17E270-9D6E-4CCA-B856-901DFC830DE6.jpeg

I agree. Glad the samples stands are gone. Easier to move around even with more people shopping.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm opening packages and mail as usual and then washing hands. Hand washing, not touching face and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces should be fine. If you try to disinfect everything someone else has touched you'll need a second can of Lysol to spray the first one. A nice lady bagged my groceries today and I touched the same bags...and then washed my hands when I finished unloading them. But what about the groceries? Someone put them on the shelf, maybe some shopper picked it up before me. At that point I stop worrying and wash my own hands...and try, try, try again to keep my hands away from my face.

You have a point and I think most people will be totally fine. I'm not a germaphoebe by any means, but I am recovering from flu and have lung disease (asthma) So I take a lot of precautions which otherwise healthier people might not have to follow.

BTW, last trip to the grocery store (for some essentials), A person pulled out the cart for you at the front door, they used a bleach solution to wash down the handles and all plastic parts before you were allowed to touch it. In the store, all the store employees were wearing gloves even while stocking. The baggers had on gloves as well. Cashiers did not, but they were being pretty careful in how they handled cash to you!

So it might depend on the store in some cases. (this was Publix, I'm sure not all stores are doing this)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dh and I have been wiping down amazon boxes and groceries with clorox wipes and then washing our hands. And washing our hands after handling the mail. I take clorox wipes with me to the grocery store and wipe down the cart. I wipe down the door handles and knobs after we come in from the store. I'm really bad about not touching my face so I'm working on that one!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's an international package and it's been on a plane chances are the temperature variations in the cargo hold of a plane have probably killed most viruses anyway but if it is domestic then spray it down with disinfectant and don't open it for 14 days, and wash your hands properly before and after you do.

I don't think there have been any cases recorded yet of anyone being infected from mail.....

@Daisys and Diamonds - we don't have it in Australia or NZ, do you have Glen 20? It does the same thing.

This is overkill. I think they said virus lasts on cardboard 2 days? So just set aside for 3 days and you are good. Perishable items, I imagine washing in soap and water, or wiping down with diluted chlorox solution, also works. And after done, washing hands. ETA I see other people have addressed this before me.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I give everything a spray down with alcohol when it comes into my house.

I heard somewhere that China was spraying their mail and it seems like a good idea.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is overkill. I think they said virus lasts on cardboard 2 days? So just set aside for 3 days and you are good. Perishable items, I imagine washing in soap and water, or wiping down with diluted chlorox solution, also works. And after done, washing hands. ETA I see other people have addressed this before me.

That was if you are worried I'm saying leave it whatever the recommended period of time is, leave it a longer period of time if you are someone who worries about this stuff..... I just got some packages from overseas, and opened them without worrying about it, I never worry about our mail the delivery guy/mailman is young fit and healthy the last time I saw him. I figure when you go to the supermarket, things like the self serve checkouts, petrol/gas pump and a million other things we touch in our every day lives are just as bad if not worse.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm opening packages and mail as usual and then washing hands. Hand washing, not touching face and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces should be fine. If you try to disinfect everything someone else has touched you'll need a second can of Lysol to spray the first one. A nice lady bagged my groceries today and I touched the same bags...and then washed my hands when I finished unloading them. But what about the groceries? Someone put them on the shelf, maybe some shopper picked it up before me. At that point I stop worrying and wash my own hands...and try, try, try again to keep my hands away from my face.
I think that's what I'll do as well. I had some packages arrive this week, birthday present for my little one from my sister, and I left it outside overnight, then opened it outside and discarded all outer packaging, used hand sanitizer before coming inside, yhen washed my hands after. Then I was bringing my regular mail in later, and I thought, shoot do I need to leave these outside too? What about the groceries? It's just a downhill spiral, making me feel paranoid about every little thing.

On a related topic, I just happened to be at the front door when the UPS arrived with those packages, and noticed how fast he dropped them off at my door then turned around to speed walk to his truck, as if he was worried I might open the door to greet him. LOL!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
You have a point and I think most people will be totally fine. I'm not a germaphoebe by any means, but I am recovering from flu and have lung disease (asthma) So I take a lot of precautions which otherwise healthier people might not have to follow.

BTW, last trip to the grocery store (for some essentials), A person pulled out the cart for you at the front door, they used a bleach solution to wash down the handles and all plastic parts before you were allowed to touch it. In the store, all the store employees were wearing gloves even while stocking. The baggers had on gloves as well. Cashiers did not, but they were being pretty careful in how they handled cash to you!

So it might depend on the store in some cases. (this was Publix, I'm sure not all stores are doing this)
I also have a slightly higher risk when respiratory stuff goes around (thanks to growing up in a heavy 2 smoker household :x2). As I get older things are affecting me more. I avoid aerosol sprays, even Lysol because I don't want to be breathing in anything but air. I use a good respirator when doing woodworking because of dust and product fumes so I understand being careful.
But we are not all supposed to be wearing gloves and masks for everyday activities in case the medical professionals and truly at risk people start to run low on supplies....which is happening in some areas already. Besides the gloves are likely just as contaminated as bare hands. Regular people still touch their faces or other 'unclean' surfaces because they are not trained/conditioned to do otherwise. They don't change the gloves often enough either. Sure their hands within the gloves might be cleaner but everything they touch with their gloves is not. It might be better with no gloves and proper hand washing. It's a rather pointless (and wasteful) measure that induces a false sense of security. Washing your own hands is still your best defense.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have a slightly higher risk when respiratory stuff goes around (thanks to growing up in a heavy 2 smoker household :x2). As I get older things are affecting me more. I avoid aerosol sprays, even Lysol because I don't want to be breathing in anything but air. I use a good respirator when doing woodworking because of dust and product fumes so I understand being careful.
But we are not all supposed to be wearing gloves and masks for everyday activities in case the medical professionals and truly at risk people start to run low on supplies....which is happening in some areas already. Besides the gloves are likely just as contaminated as bare hands. Regular people still touch their faces or other 'unclean' surfaces because they are not trained/conditioned to do otherwise. They don't change the gloves often enough either. Sure their hands within the gloves might be cleaner but everything they touch with their gloves is not. It might be better with no gloves and proper hand washing. It's a rather pointless (and wasteful) measure that induces a false sense of security. Washing your own hands is still your best defense.
You're new here and you obviously don't know me.

I live in Florida and these gloves are from my hurricane kit. Some of us have to always be prepared for emergency situations and these are probably 2 years old at this point Trust me, they don't want my open box of gloves... one of my immediate neighbors is a nurse, she said do you.

Also, I have an allergy to certain types of cleaners, thus, gloves when I go outside the house not knowing what I'm going to be touching assures me that I do not have to deal with allergies, or asthma attacks from my allergies while I'm out.

Please remember my situation is not yours and vice versa. Gloves provide me the protection "I" need, which will not be what someone else needs. I do not advise anyone to go out and buy gloves unless they need them.

For instance, if you were to see me anywhere in Florida, I'm always wearing long sleeved shirts and pants. Its not because I'm scared of catching anything, its because I burn like a mother****er and the sun can be too much for me to handle and thats with suncreen.

I continue to wash my hands because I MUST reduce all germ and viral load as I am still recovering from flu. I don't want to make that worse in any way as my county has numbers doubling ever 2-3 days in confirmed cases. (and my allergies...it makes things difficult)

When I wipe down my packages, I use bleach and a rag with water. I was using a spray bottle and that didn't really go over well. But again, as I said before, thats not for everyone, each person must decide for themselves how far they go. For me its now routine, my new normal.

Lets not try to shame others for the things they do or need to do for their own protection if you've never walked in their shoes. Do whats best for you but also allow others to do the same.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian I think @1ofakind was referring to the gloves the grocery baggers and employees were wearing. I agree with them actually, unless gloves are changed regularly they are almost worse than bare hands. For example I've been to subways where the person makes the sandwiches with gloves on, then handles the money, with gloves on, then goes back to make more sandwiches, with gloves on. The point of the gloves is totally lost lol. I don't think he/she was shaming you at all.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian I think @1ofakind was referring to the gloves the grocery baggers and employees were wearing. I agree with them actually, unless gloves are changed regularly they are almost worse than bare hands. For example I've been to subways where the person makes the sandwiches with gloves on, then handles the money, with gloves on, then goes back to make more sandwiches, with gloves on. The point of the gloves is totally lost lol. I don't think he/she was shaming you at all.
the wearing of those gloves could also be apart of their corporate SOP, i don't know. I am unsure of the shortage of gloves, as even home depot nearest me still has them in stock. basically I'm saying that these gloves seen at stores likely will not work in a medical setting anyway as they're probably not sterile to begin with.

Whatever the case, they probably had them for their use anyway as many of these stores cut their own meat, have a deli and food court.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use the gloves when shopping (pre Covid19 stock) because I don't touch my face at all when I have them on. I've always been pretty good about not touching my face, but one always has moments when one unconsciously does it. Not with rubber gloves on.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock

Yes that is exactly what I was referring to...the grocery store staff all wearing/wasting gloves. And yes, like the Subway example...I get zero reassurance from someone else wearing gloves in those situations...it does little/nothing to protect me or the general public. I regret that I wasn't as clear as I intended. I wasn't singling out any individual who may need to take extra precautions.

It is true I'm new to posting here. No one knows me either. I'd appreciate basic benefit of the doubt as to my intentions when posting.
Or perhaps I'll just stick to reading as I have been for years and not worry about joining the community by posting. It may not be worth the initiation period.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that is exactly what I was referring to...the grocery store staff all wearing/wasting gloves. And yes, like the Subway example...I get zero reassurance from someone else wearing gloves in those situations...it does little/nothing to protect me or the general public. I regret that I wasn't as clear as I intended. I wasn't singling out any individual who may need to take extra precautions.

It is true I'm new to posting here. No one knows me either. I'd appreciate basic benefit of the doubt as to my intentions when posting.
Or perhaps I'll just stick to reading as I have been for years and not worry about joining the community by posting. It may not be worth the initiation period.

I hope you continue posting and sharing here. As you know since you have been reading for a number of years PS is generally a supportive and great place to be. Especially now we all need to support each other and boost each other's morale during a challenging time. Hope you decide to keep posting.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
dh and I have been wiping down amazon boxes and groceries with clorox wipes and then washing our hands. And washing our hands after handling the mail. I take clorox wipes with me to the grocery store and wipe down the cart. I wipe down the door handles and knobs after we come in from the store. I'm really bad about not touching my face so I'm working on that one!

@junebug I open the boxes outside with gloves...I take out the items...and then Lysol wipe the items individually...bring them into the house...and let them dry. I leave the boxes on my porch for a day..and then put them in recycling with gloves. The Coronavirus only lives on cardboard for a day...By the time the trash gets picked up it’s been sitting in the bin three or four days...I also wipe down the porch knobs and screen door wood around it in case they grab the sides..

Last edited:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@junebug I open the boxes outside with gloves...I take out the items...and then Lysol wipe the items individually...bring them into the house...and let them dry. I leave the boxes on my porch for a day..and then put them in recycling with gloves. The Coronavirus only lives on cardboard for a day...By the time the trash gets picked up it’s been sitting in the bin three or four days...I also wipe down the porch knobs and screen door wood around it in case they grab the sides..

That's a good idea @Mamabean, I'll start doing that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results