shape
carat
color
clarity

So no one’s gonna talk about the big D space competition?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, dear PSrs. I’ve missed you. Just returned to glance around Hangout last night and f a bit of life ‘round these parts. Thought I’d maybe add another log to the fire: what do you all think about Branson, Bezos, and Musk spending bajillions on “space” exploration using their phallic vanity rocket ships?

To quote a social media trend: “tell me you’re overcompensating without telling me you’re overcompensating.”

And ethically speaking, do you feel it’s right for those with the overwhelming majority of wealth to put so much of it towards things that are not immediately beneficial or consequential rather than disperse it to charity and help the most needy become well enough to even compete in this world? (I know I sound biased. Not sure what to do about that but thank you for considering answering my questions anyway.)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do I think the money could be better spent? Yes. Definitely yes.

DoI think they have the right to spend their money as they want to? Yes.
It is their money to do with as they please. However, we are in the middle of a pandemic and world crisis and I wonder if they are doing anything to help this critical challenge right now. Maybe they are, I don't know.

And ethically speaking, do you feel it’s right for those with the overwhelming majority of wealth to put so much of it towards things that are not immediately beneficial or consequential rather than disperse it to charity and help the most needy become well enough to even compete in this world?

Ethically speaking I do think the rich have a social responsibility. I agree with Andrew Carnegie. He felt it critical that the wealthiest of us give money to good causes. He believed in the "Gospel of Wealth," which meant that wealthy people were morally obligated to give their money back to others in society. To help benefit the community. I do not see a downside to this. Of course it is up to the individual as it is their money to do with as they please. But there are wealthy people who are generous and do much good.

As for this project all I can say is hopefully it will pay off in the future and they will make wonderful discoveries than can help us in decades to come.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what do you all think about Branson, Bezos, and Musk spending bajillions on “space” exploration using their phallic vanity rocket ships?

Just wanted to add I love this description Monnie. :bigsmile:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did read that Bezos dispersed $100 million each to 2 of his bros (not brothers, I just mean Other Men he knows) under the condition that they give the monies to charities of their choice.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy thanks for your input. I 100% agree the money belongs to those who made it and they have the right to do with it whatever they wish. I can’t imagine anyone disputing that, because who among us (in the most general sense) would want our earned income just taken from us without good reason? That isn’t ok or fair.

Directed at no one and everyone:

But, at some point, there is just too much money for one to spend in their lifetime, I think. Sure, it would be fun to go to space, live out every dream possible, but what about your fellow beings who are legitimately suffering alongside you…or in the gutters of places you have homes?

I’ll admit to not having done research. But has there ever been a social experiment (ring a bell, y’all?) in which a very wealthy person or entity just bestowed much of their wealth upon those truly in need? Like a collective group, let’s say, like, the homeless population in a large city. Has that ever happened? Has there ever been a study done on it? Have we ever seen/heard the results after 20-30 years?

I’m sure I’m missing a lot here, and I’m sure I’ll be put back in my place of “you just can’t bandaid the issue with money as far as homeless/mental health/addiction,” but I will still call bs, because when you are poor, truly destitute, money really does solve every problem. It solves the problem of getting a job, it solves the problem of getting housing, transportation, food, and sustaining a lifestyle that doesn’t require one to depend on government assistance.

Do I think these megamonied people should be required to give to the poor? Nah. Do I think they should look past their own egos and drop their competitiveness for several days a year and distribute some of their wealth in a way that would give some people a fighting chance in this rat race? Absodamnlutely. Because why not? Would that lead to a collapse of the global economy? If that is a legitimate concern, can some qualified PSr chime in and explain to me like I’m 5? (ELI5; a Reddit reference)

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if people have enough money to live in a great place, own properties everywhere plus have access to yachts, luxury purchases and the finest education then imho that should be enough. What they do with the rest, I don’t know.

Amazon grew huge on the backs of the little booksellers initially, and they are really missed, by me, anyway. They treat their staff badly (at our local Amazon mega warehouse they employ kids then fire them after a year and make them reapply for their jobs), and they transport everything on roads that the local councils have paid for.

And despite all this, they wiggle out of paying any taxes, at least here in the U.K. That is immoral.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

There must be government grants or tax benefits (etc) to producing this level of research, technology and infrastructure . There has got to be a benefit/incentive; after all they are ultra wealthy from being shrewd business men. This is a commodity that others will pay for. And the supply chain receives huge $$$$$$ from this; employs a lot of people.

As an aside, I can't help but feeling something awful will happen, like with the space shuttle.

cheers--Sharon

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Humans are destroying earth.
It's possible we eventually will go the way of the dinosaurs.

Maybe figuring out how humans could survive in space is the only future for earth's most intelligent (or stupidest) species.
If so, Bezos and Branson may ultimately be seen as humankind's most important visionaries and heroes.
If so, these two would eventually become the most important philanthropists to humankind .

Read this.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just find it really borring
So really really rich people are playing with really really big toys going for rides into space
Meanwhile most of the world waits to be vaccinated
Ethically i dont have a problem with people spending their money how they want but i dont like Amazon- i only use it as a last resort or as a safer way to buy out of print from affilated 2nd hand book stores

I think its a particularly insensitive time to be splashing that kind of cash around

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Humans are destroying earth.
It's possible we eventually will go the way of the dinosaurs.

Maybe figuring out how humans could survive in space is the only future for earth's most intelligent (or stupidest) species.
If so, Bezos and Branson may ultimately be seen as humankind's most important visionaries and heroes.
If so, these two would eventually become the most important philanthropists to humankind .

Read this.

Stupidest is right Kenny
But thankfully both of us desided early on not to breed so we have no off spring to be concerned about
but i do worry for the innocent animals

I get so angry just seeing litter - i think what kind of earth does that person what their kids to inherit ?

Humans dont deserve a 2nd chance at survival - we dont deserve the bigger brain

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong putting people of differing religious and political beliefs in an enclosed environment in space. Lol. If interplanetary colonization is to happen, we have to fundamentally change the traits that make humans so noxious. Otherwise we just take all our crap out into the universe and continue making the same mess of things as we've done here. I see nothing noble in ensuring the survival of humans in that scenario.

W

westofhere

For at least a decade Bezos has liquidated a billion a year to fund this. And that was before he actually went. He treats his workers like crap. His “philanthropy” is token PR. He has enough money that he could have helped save this planet, but he couldn’t care less. And Kenny, his ideas for who will get to colonize space are pretty eugenic-y. It ain’t going to be any PS members.

His wife, though, became the 21st richest woman in the world and the third wealthiest woman in the US by divorcing him, is determined to give it all away, and has done some serious good, including to HBCUs. And she’s remarried to a school teacher, which is pretty freakin’ adorable.

W

westofhere

And Monarch, the Gates foundation does what you’re taking about, and it’s not just Gates money—Warren Buffet has given them
a ton. They focus largely on healthcare in developing countries.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
How people spend their money is their own business, but I do think tax loop holes should be closed and there should be quickly escalating taxes above a certain amount. It's all relative though and in a capitalistic society, one may choose not to work or continue to earn if the vast majority of it is taxed.

Many billionaires do participate in the Giving Pledge to donate a lot of their wealth and focus on making the greatest impact. Solving things like global warming benefit all vs. focusing on something life changing for one or a smaller group of individual. I also think that defining those truly in need is relative and depends on the giver. For me, I define needs based on Maslow's hierarchy, for example access to clean water and food as priority #1.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I put Musk in a different category there is a ton of tax payers money going into this and Musk is the only one providing a return on investment. He has saved the government more on launch costs then he has received in government money other than direct launch costs.
He is keeping a ton of small to med. machine shops going in the US by refusing to give the contracts to the huge defense contractors.
Like him or hate him Musk is crazy but he gets stuff done while other people sit around and say it can not be done.
The space efforts by the other 2 are more me too and they are still way behind schedule.
To be honest I dont particularly like Musk or some of the things he tried, but admire what he has been able to accomplish.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe they are entitled to spend their money which way they please, regardless whether I like or dislike them for whatever reason(s) that I might have.

DK :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Monarch, the Gates foundation does what you’re taking about, and it’s not just Gates money—Warren Buffet has given them
a ton. They focus largely on healthcare in developing countries.

They do a huge amount of good. Thanks for pointing them out! Growing up in western Washington, I have seen schools with technology because of grants from them. They also pay for medical and dental care for local people in need including kids needing braces. So much good done!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figure it is just a matter of time before an asteroid hits the earth again (remember the dinosaurs...) or one of the supervolcanoes erupts or whatever else. Having the ability to get off the planet may come in handy one day. Glad they are all competing to make it happen!

One of the interesting presentations at the Museum of Flight was a guy who works in a company tracking asteroids. Fascinating information and shocking how little is actually watched for and how little could be done if there was one heading towards us.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Their money to do with what they want. I’m sure they donate much more then any of the public know about.

Yes I agree that they should pay more in taxes but whilst ever there are loopholes to exploit they will have accountants who will use that to their advantage (as I am sure that Joe Public tries to do each year at tax time to maximize their return). Ditto for ensuring that staff in their businesses are well compensated and have safe working environments.

To each their own - I’m sure that many members here have spent amounts of money on “pretty stones” that some in the wider community would also think is immoral.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Of course they can do what they want with their money but I do wish more would go to the good of those here on earth. They may donate a lot already but there are such great needs. At some point I do believe that an individual has too much money.

And yes to closing tax loopholes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results