shape
carat
color
clarity

So....my oven exploded today!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness, thank God you didn’t get hurt! I haven’t used the self clean feature on my oven since I worried it could damage the convection components. Now I will definitely be avoiding that feature!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
That is terrifying, i am so glad no one got hurt!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, happy to hear that you weren't injured. Same thing happened to me with a glass refrigerator shelf. Brand new fridge. I took out a shelf to clean up a spill. Set it on the counter and it exploded. Glass flew through the whole house (darn open floor plan). I was finding tiny pieces of glass in odd places for months.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, happy to hear that you weren't injured. Same thing happened to me with a glass refrigerator shelf. Brand new fridge. I took out a shelf to clean up a spill. Set it on the counter and it exploded. Glass flew through the whole house (darn open floor plan). I was finding tiny pieces of glass in odd places for months.

Wow! That is awful! I have always worried about the shelves and start washing in cold water gradually increased until just slightly warm. Never even thought that just setting them down could do that!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:shock: Whooooa, that is beyond intense!
Thankfully, no one was hurt. I'd definitely would've spontaneously sprouted some gray hairs.
I admit I've never used the self clean feature and now, mmh, I don't think I will.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Holy cow! Thats scary!! Thanks for sharing. Glad all is well!!
Was it very loud when it exploded?

Loud Boom! Heard it from upstairs office where my door was closed.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Goodness, how scary!!!

I'm glad you're ok!

All my ovens had the self clean function. My DH insists, he finds it practical.

I do not, since I loathe the smell ( burnt gunk, blech), the inconvenience it takes rather long (wouldn't set up that kind of thing when sleeping or out if the house and you have to take out all iron rails arc anyways. So when I've half disassembled the oven , I can just use the cleaning spray, let sit, then wipe and it's not much more hassle and way faster...

ETA: did you leave all the racks and the side racks inside?

All models I ever had required one take those out completely before starting the self clean cycle for "safety reasons" it says to never leave them in. I wonder if that might have caused the problem?

I did leave all of the racks inside. To be honest, the times that we have used the self clean function, it was usually my husband or cleaning lady that did it, so I didn't know whether racks had to come out. I figured the racks needed to be cleaned too, so it stayed in. I will have to find the manual for this double oven online since it is over 10 years old and my husband is always throwing out stuff. He is a purger....

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I didn't know this could happen!
I have never used the self clean function on my oven.
When it needs cleaning I use Easy-Off oven cleaner.

I'm going to clean the oven the old school way from now on!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock

That is very scary

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for passing this along. I never would have even considered it.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always been scared to use the self cleaning cycle on my ovens... And I'm not gonna start now !

That is so super scary!

The scariest thing I've ever had happen was I had a back windshield bust open while driving on the freeway. It could have been a rock that hit it just right but it sounded like a bomb went off inside my car. Took me months to drive again after that. I thankfully did not wreck my car! I just very calmly pulled over, got out the car and damn near passed out!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

:eek-2::eek-2::eek-2::-o:-o Yikes! Glad everyone is safe!

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I must say @jaysonsmom
rereading your thread title its quite a scary thought
im glad you are ok and also glad you were home when it happened

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, I'm so sorry this happened! I'm so glad no one was hurt.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anything similar happened to you before? I put it on the self clean cycle, and during the cool down phase the inner glass panel of the “top” double oven exploded and pieces of glass flew out of the sides and bottom....

I couldn’t stop it mid-cycle either so so had to turn the breaker off in order to stop the cycle and for the oven door to unlock. Took me forever to sweep, vacuum and clean up both ovens because pieces of glass ended up in the bottom oven too for some odd reason.

So much for my sourdough project that I was finally going to embark on! D5FB0C24-0584-40B6-A4D1-94EC535624D4.jpeg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(Oops re blank post Above) When I saw the picture I was horrified! .We have a GE oven and before we put it on Clean, the instructions say to remove all the racks.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Omg!! So glad that you're okay and no one was hurt. I've heard of this happening and have been terrified to use the oven. Culturally I've grown up using the oven as a dish rack. First time i turned one on was when I left college and went to live in Germany (had cravings for brownies lol).

Now, I mostly use a Breville toaster oven and very rarely turn on the regular stove. It's just such a pain to clean.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, current opinion re new versus old tempered glass; people are collecting old Pyrex glass products and avoiding new as they are more prone to shattering.

Ive read that lately
Made me feel sad because Pyrex is such a great American product
I only have the marauding jugs but my got quite a lot for her wedding in 1965
She only really starting using it once we got a microwave in the very early '80's
Looking back it was quite stylish
One aqua and white coloured dish she used all the time actually came with a chrome stand one placed candles under (to keep it warm ? For table ambience?)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always been scared to use the self cleaning cycle on my ovens... And I'm not gonna start now !

That is so super scary!

The scariest thing I've ever had happen was I had a back windshield bust open while driving on the freeway. It could have been a rock that hit it just right but it sounded like a bomb went off inside my car. Took me months to drive again after that. I thankfully did not wreck my car! I just very calmly pulled over, got out the car and damn near passed out!

OMG! Glad you kept your wits about you, I would have needed an ambulance after that.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG! Glad you kept your wits about you, I would have needed an ambulance after that.

I still don't know how I didn't manage to not pee my pants. :lol: I swear that car was possessed (multiple weird things happened over the course of me owning it)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I still don't know how I didn't manage to not pee my pants. :lol: I swear that car was possessed (multiple weird things happened over the course of me owning it)

Yes! My previous car was like that, that is why I promptly sold it after 5 years (payments were done). I had rock that cracked the windshield week one, then almost every month after that something weird would happen, like a black bird flying into and knocking out my side mirror, break in from driver side window with my purse stolen etc etc.....lots of shattered glass associated with that car!

Also, current opinion re new versus old tempered glass; people are collecting old Pyrex glass products and avoiding new as they are more prone to shattering.

I heard the same. That the ol' amber-colored ones are absolute workhorses. Darn, makes me which I had bought that set when I saw one at a flea market. Sigh. At least my current set that's made with the newer glass are all still intact. Got em back in my college days (anyone else got the starter set from Costco? :lol:).

The lids however, are a different story. I eventually when to a Corningware store and bought like, 6 lids of every size cuz I know I'll be replacing em down the line.

Tremsi

Rough_Rock
My mother-in-law’s oven bowed out the bottom during self clean About 6 mos. ago. As it was under warranty they contacted Samsung and they sent someone out, but Samsung never contacted them back. My FIL called repeatedly, was on hold for hours, spoke to countless reps, was told their complaint would be “sped up“ a “supervisor would contact them” etc., and it was never made right. They gave up and just bought an LG. The aggravation wasn’t worth it to them. Still makes me mad!

Your stove wasn’t a Samsung was it? There’s a reason their stoves are cheaper with more bells and whistles...because they’re disposable.

Sorry with the rant. Mea culpa. :pray:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@jaysonsmom That‘s so scary! I’m so happy you weren’t in the room and your daughter was at school! I had an oven glass door shatter once..but it was my fault. I wiped the inside with a wet cloth before it was totally cool.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother-in-law’s oven bowed out the bottom during self clean About 6 mos. ago. As it was under warranty they contacted Samsung and they sent someone out, but Samsung never contacted them back. My FIL called repeatedly, was on hold for hours, spoke to countless reps, was told their complaint would be “sped up“ a “supervisor would contact them” etc., and it was never made right. They gave up and just bought an LG. The aggravation wasn’t worth it to them. Still makes me mad!

Your stove wasn’t a Samsung was it? There’s a reason their stoves are cheaper with more bells and whistles...because they’re disposable.

Sorry with the rant. Mea culpa. :pray:

That....is not normal!! I think much of our society has become disposable at the expense of those who are on fixed incomes. Used to be you bought a kitchen set and it lasted for 20+ years.

These days you can't always get past 4-5. I had a repair person call my maytag dishwasher (installed in 2014), old.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I hope you don't have any trouble finding a replacement. I read, like everything else in Covid, appliances are in shortage.

cheers--Sharon

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg! I’m so sorry this happened to you and I’m glad no one got hurt!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results