shape
carat
color
clarity

So....my oven exploded today!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Has anything similar happened to you before? I put it on the self clean cycle, and during the cool down phase the inner glass panel of the “top” double oven exploded and pieces of glass flew out of the sides and bottom....

I couldn’t stop it mid-cycle either so so had to turn the breaker off in order to stop the cycle and for the oven door to unlock. Took me forever to sweep, vacuum and clean up both ovens because pieces of glass ended up in the bottom oven too for some odd reason.

So much for my sourdough project that I was finally going to embark on! D5FB0C24-0584-40B6-A4D1-94EC535624D4.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not to me but have been there and seen the aftermath once at a friends house.
Talked to the repair guy about it, has to do with the expansion and contraction ratio of the glass and the mounting.
Almost always happens on the cool down from a high temperature.
The mount is made to slide to account for contraction and expansion it doesn't and applies intense pressure on hot glass and boom!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Oh my. That's terrible. Glad you're okay!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom, you reacted very quickly and wisely. I'd still be screaming, WTF??

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Omg!! Glad you are okay!

One time at my SIL's house, a tempered glass cup in her cabinet exploded, hours after being cleaned in the dishwasher so it was already sufficiently cooled. It sounded like a loud pop and chunks of it shot clear across the kitchen, even though the cabinet door (solid wood, heavy) was shut. The force was insane. I can't imagine what would have happened if we were in the kitchen, we were about 15-20 ft away in the living room and saw glass fly.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard about this happening to ovens when the self-clean function is used. I'm so glad you're OK!

Has the oven been OK on the self-clean function before, or is this the first time it had been employed?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry this happened, and I'm glad you're safe.

FWIW, I never use my oven's self-cleaning cycle.
So often technology has downsides, so I avoid most of the technology nearly everyone embraces.

FWIW ...

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a video produced by a home warranty company.
Understandably they like to avoid insurance claims so they want your oven glass door to never crack.
They recommend never using the self-cleaning cycle and using a heat-free cleaning technique.

Personally I'd use lemon juice instead of vinegar and a spray bottle full of water to help rinse it off when done.

WARNING: This process involves an unfamiliar, demeaning, evil, despised, and antiquated process ........ work.

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. Not while self cleaning, just during use one time. Only it was the middle piece of glass in the door. Repair guy said he had never seen one break that way. Made quite the noise!

Another oven went haywire during self clean and fried the shut off control. Temperature kept climbing and oven emergency lock went on to keep door from being opened. We had to shut the circuit down at the breaker as I was smelling burning electronics and the controls weren't responding. Mentioned this to the repair guy next time he was out (we replaced the unit with a different as I wasn't comfortable just getting a repair - if it was even repairable) and he said it is not uncommon to have things like that happen during self cleaning.

Glad you are okay!

Holy figs. How scary! So sorry that happened to you.

Side note: our appliance guy actually recommended that we use the self-cleaning function one time while it's still covered under the manufacturer's warranty. His reasoning is that the self-clean will be the toughest job we could put our oven through. So if it can withstand that, we should be good to go. And if it doesn't, well, at least then we'd be covered by the warranty.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have heard about this happening to ovens when the self-clean function is used. I'm so glad you're OK!

Has the oven been OK on the self-clean function before, or is this the first time it had been employed?

We have used the self clean
function a few times in the past, this I probably the 3rd or 4th time, but the oven 10 years old and been under a lot of use in the last year during the lock down. I feel like it is just due....I was just happy I just set it and went upstairs to my office and my teen was still “in school” in her room, so I one was in the kitchen. We just heard this loud explosion and found a ton of glass all over the kitchen.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Not to me but have been there and seen the aftermath once at a friends house.
Talked to the repair guy about it, has to do with the expansion and contraction ratio of the glass and the mounting.
Almost always happens on the cool down from a high temperature.
The mount is made to slide to account for contraction and expansion it doesn't and applies intense pressure on hot glass and boom!

Gave us quite the scare, don’t know if I want to “repair” with another glass oven door! Feel like the whole unit is ready to go to the dump!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Here's a video produced by a home warranty company.
Understandably they like to avoid insurance claims so they want your oven glass door to never crack.
They recommend never using the self-cleaning cycle and using a heat-free cleaning technique.

Personally I'd use lemon juice instead of vinegar and a spray bottle full of water to help rinse it off when done.

WARNING: This process involves an unfamiliar, demeaning, evil, despised, and antiquated process ........ work.

Thanks For the tutorial, will apply to my next oven. Lesson learned the hard way on this one.

Believe it or not, I tried doing a degreasing cleaner and put in some elbow grease first, but since it wasn’t cleaning as well as I liked, I decided to do the self clean mode to get the long baked on grease....

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Yep. Not while self cleaning, just during use one time. Only it was the middle piece of glass in the door. Repair guy said he had never seen one break that way. Made quite the noise!

Another oven went haywire during self clean and fried the shut off control. Temperature kept climbing and oven emergency lock went on to keep door from being opened. We had to shut the circuit down at the breaker as I was smelling burning electronics and the controls weren't responding. Mentioned this to the repair guy next time he was out (we replaced the unit with a different as I wasn't comfortable just getting a repair - if it was even repairable) and he said it is not uncommon to have things like that happen during self cleaning.

Glad you are okay!

I feel the same way about this one. I don’t think I want to repair this unit ....I could not turn off the self cleaning mode after the explosion, and had to turn the breaker off as well, so the door could unlock...I wanted to open the oven ASAP in case it was due to pressure build up....I was afraid it I didn’t open the oven door ASAP, the outer glass would shatter as well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Though I'm almost certainly wasting my time, if I ever buy another oven I'll be sure to look for one without the so-called self-cleaning feature.
They really should change the name from self-cleaning to self-exploding.

Back in the early 90s I called all over California looking for a dealer with a new Honda Accord with roll-up windows.
No luck.

Manufacturers don't bother with Americans like me.
Old schoolers like me, willing to endure the arduous torture of rolling up a window, are not welcome in today's lazy, delicate-snowflake do-no-work culture.
Let's all buy car windows with motors that are designed to die at 8 years, and replacements cost $650+ each. :rolleyes:
No wonder so many Americans are obese, myself included. :nono:
Now they even need car doors that close themselves. :doh:

Nothing personal, Jasonsmom. :))

Last edited:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your concern, we were lucky that no one was in the kitchen when it happened. I’m just going to “bake” the old fashioned way from now on, take my new Le creuset dutch oven and bake on my outdoor grill :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
and had to turn the breaker off as well, so the door could unlock...
That is by design it has to drop below a certain temperature before it will unlock for safety reasons.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Omg!! Glad you are okay!

One time at my SIL's house, a tempered glass cup in her cabinet exploded, hours after being cleaned in the dishwasher so it was already sufficiently cooled. It sounded like a loud pop and chunks of it shot clear across the kitchen, even though the cabinet door (solid wood, heavy) was shut. The force was insane. I can't imagine what would have happened if we were in the kitchen, we were about 15-20 ft away in the living room and saw glass fly.

Wow, that must have been a shock...I have a bunch of tempered glass bakeware and measuring cups.

Luckily it was the inner glass of my oven door that exploded, , so the outer glass kept a lot of the glass from flying across the kitchen.but yes, the force of the explosion was quite strong, strong enough to to force glass out the sides and bottom of a “locked” oven door.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you were ok
ive heard of it happening but i can't remember the brand of oven - a foreign brand

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you were ok
ive heard of it happening but i can't remember the brand of oven - a foreign brand

A foreign brand?
Sorry for my ignorance, but are there NZ companies that manufacture ovens in NZ?
A brief Google search didn't turn up any, just NZ companies that distribute and sell them.

Don't mean to be insulting.
After all, much and perhaps most American manufacturing today has been outsourced to other countries.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A foreign brand?
Sorry for my ignorance, but are there NZ companies that manufacture ovens in NZ?
A quick Google search didn't find any.

Don't mean to be insulting.
After all, few things are manufactured in America any more.

There used to be
we used to have all our own whitewhere until globalization
Fisher & pykal are from my home town but now manufacture in China
Shacklock was a brand of ranges also made in my home town once upon a time

Now we get very cheap and very exspensive appliances we never had before

i actually should have said it was a newish to us brand

...actually while chatting to you i remembered
In my last job in the timber dept in the tiny country village version of the big box hardwear store we sold kitset houses
One of the ovens we sold did it.
More than once
It was a cheap brand the company imported themselves (home owners could up spec)
I think it was palmco

Edit i don't think it happened in any of our houses that were built out of our branch because between us and the builder we always managed to upsell the client to a better brand

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks.

I've become aware of the 100 year old design, but still sold today, massive cast iron ranges, made by AGA.
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 2.11.16 AM.png

From Wiki:

Originally developed to burn coal or anthracite, the Aga cooker was invented in 1922 by the Nobel Prize-winning Swedish physicist Gustaf Dalén (1869–1937), who was employed as the chief engineer of the Swedish AGA company (Swedish Aktiebolaget Svenska Gasaccumulator, English Swedish Gas Accumulator, Limited).

I spot them in the background of kitchens in some British films, especially old films, especially in old well-to-do houses out in the country.
Developed in Sweden and later manufactured in England, they are solid cast iron and weigh a zillion tons, and today the 5-oven models cost tens of thousands of dollars.
I think only recently have they been market in the USA.

The original AGAs were left on 24/7 - so no preheating of ovens or stovetop-griddle surfaces.
Being always on they also functioned as a heat source for the house, while groovy in cold climates, not so groovy if where summers are hot.

Their design and use is very unconventional.
Its multiple ovens always remain at various temps.
The cooktops always remain at different temps.
When you want a lower stovetop temp move the pot so part of it is off the cooktop.
There is only a single heat source for everything.

In the below 2015 video notice she announces you can turn off some new AGAs.
Who would think turning it off could be touted as a modern feature?

I doubt their oven doors ever explode.

Some fascinating reading in this link:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, glad you are OK @jaysonsmom! That is scary.

We've never used the self clean cycle before...the oven isn't really my forte though so not even sure we have a self clean cycle. That is Greg's domain :)

So happy you are safe and don't worry about your sourdough project being postponed. I have a feeling there's sourdough in your future.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
My first thought when I read this was I am so glad you are okay; that explosion could have been really bad.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy cow! Thats scary!! Thanks for sharing. Glad all is well!!
Was it very loud when it exploded?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness, how scary!!!

I'm glad you're ok!

All my ovens had the self clean function. My DH insists, he finds it practical.

I do not, since I loathe the smell ( burnt gunk, blech), the inconvenience it takes rather long (wouldn't set up that kind of thing when sleeping or out if the house and you have to take out all iron rails arc anyways. So when I've half disassembled the oven , I can just use the cleaning spray, let sit, then wipe and it's not much more hassle and way faster...

ETA: did you leave all the racks and the side racks inside?

All models I ever had required one take those out completely before starting the self clean cycle for "safety reasons" it says to never leave them in. I wonder if that might have caused the problem?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I didn't know this could happen!
I have never used the self clean function on my oven.
When it needs cleaning I use Easy-Off oven cleaner.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How scary! Glad you are okay though!

(what a mess, I'm sure that wasnt fun)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results