shape
carat
color
clarity

So Is It A Food Processor I Want?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
One thing I love about PS is that I can ask questions that are too embarrassing to ask in real life; I hate to admit to being such a cooking idiot at my age. So here goes:

I want to have a machine that will julienne carrots, make cole slaw out of a head of cabbage, make waffle cut potatoes and carrots, and do other things to make veggies more appealing shapes. Since DH was diagnosed with diabetes, we're expanding our veggie repertoire and I am tired of chopping stuff into cubes and slices.

Is it a food processor that does these things? Are they hard to clean? Do they last? I seem to only find blenders for sale, or there are these machines that won't tell me what shapes they actually cut. :confused:

Is this something I can achieve under $100?

Please provide actual links if you know of something that will do all these magical things. :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the information in the first post, I believe a msndoline slicer would suit, however, one that can make waffle cut is likely to cost more than 100 USD.

I personally would not buy a food processor for a number of reasons such as lack of space, difficult to clean and infrequent use.

I would have recommended the Magic Bullet, however not anymore after I was gifted one at my request, and it broke within a week when I tried to grate some hard cheese. :rolleyes:

I highly recommend a Bamix wand blender as I find it very versatile. I bought the chopper thingy that can slice vegetables a few years ago and it is still in its box, as I find my cheapo Japanese mandoline to be sufficient for what I need.

I also have a good jug blender, however it is strictly for making cocktails! :bigsmile:

Good luck with your purchase and change of lifestyle.

DK :))

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A food processor can easily do slicing and shredding, but you could also get something like this http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t-fal-fresh-express-food-processor-0431248p.html#.VktXhk-FO70
Which I find much easier to clean. I effing hate cleaning food processors!

I have no idea what machine makes waffle fries, but I think I need it.

eta - this small guy is also perfect if you are just cooking for 2. If you are cooking for a family, a food processor will be quicker and fit more food.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want a very sharp knife.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For small dicing and chopping jobs, you could go with a Cuisinart mini food processor. It'll run you under $50.

For different things, you're better off with something with attachments: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2009CHBM-Processor-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B001413A0Q/ref=sr_1_11?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1447779220&sr=1-11&keywords=food+processor

I have one, although I don't think it will do waffle cuts. Do you really need waffle cuts?

I have both the larger size Cuisinart for large processing jobs (which honestly, doesn't happen that often) and for small jobs, use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000VZ57C/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000YDO2LG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CESJX478G4VJXP44BBJ

Small and handy mandolin. No fancy attachments, but sharp and reliable.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't feel bad iLander! I had to look up what a mandoline was :/

I might have to get one, I had no idea these things existed.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Yimmers said:
For small dicing and chopping jobs, you could go with a Cuisinart mini food processor. It'll run you under $50.

For different things, you're better off with something with attachments: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2009CHBM-Processor-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B001413A0Q/ref=sr_1_11?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1447779220&sr=1-11&keywords=food+processor

I have one, although I don't think it will do waffle cuts. Do you really need waffle cuts?

I have both the larger size Cuisinart for large processing jobs (which honestly, doesn't happen that often) and for small jobs, use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000VZ57C/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000YDO2LG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CESJX478G4VJXP44BBJ

Small and handy mandolin. No fancy attachments, but sharp and reliable.

Is it just me or is that lowe's link to an animal trap? :confused: What kind of small jobs are we talking about here? :)

Q

Queenie60

A nice food processor can do all of this with the proper slicing attachments. I've had mine for 27 years and it's still working great, I am a gourmet cook and use it frequently. However, if you have a kitchenaid mixer you can buy all of the necessary attachments to do any type of slicing and dicing your heart desires. This is the way I would go if I had limited space and specific needs. I recently purchased an attachment for my kitchenaid mixer where I can spiral vegetables to take the place of pasta noodles. Pretty nifty :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
OMG! You guys are right!! :appl: :appl:

I DO want a mandoline! That's it! Perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQDbpIlhb24

DH did something like this with an old-fashioned box grater last night, to make cole slaw shreds, but the mandoline looks safer and like something I can do. Hopefully, without losing a finger. :)

Thanks, Queenie60, and others that suggested a processor. :wavey: I think the mandoline looks cheaper and easier for me to clean. And I am not a gourmet cook :nono: .

With me think "cafeteria food"; tastes okay, but plenty of it. :bigsmile:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
DH is a vegetarian and we have a small cuisinart fold processor and a mandolin.

They do different things. I find coleslaw and fine shredding to be easier in the food processor, but something fancy like zoodles (zucchini noodles) would need the mandolin.

If your DH can have yams, a favorite of ours is to shred a yam in the food processor and then fry in coconut oil with some onion and fresh thyme. It's sort of like a hash brown, but better for you.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just don't get a mandolin from one of those school fundraiser catalogs! $40 later it went straight into the garbage lolol.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my cheapo mandoline because I wanted to make celariac remoulade, as in grated celariac mixed with mayo, a touch of Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.

The current was the third one I bought, as the previous two did not provide sufficient variations in thickness, resulted in mushy remoulade and coleslaw. :knockout:

With hindsight, I should have bought a better one from the start, hey ho!

Now I am happy with my remoulade and coleslaw produced using my cheapo Japanese mandoline.

DK :))

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, no one is born with knowledge of these things. When it came to stand mixers, food processors and blenders, I didn't know which did what. Life is about learning. If you get a mandoline, have fun with it!

Hmmm, I have yet to require a small animal trap in the kitchen! :lol:

Queenie60, I just saw that Kitchenaid attachment on-line the other day! I'd love to hear what you think of it. Have you tried it out yet?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a KitchenAid stand mixer? They make attachments that do most of this.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
amc80 said:
Do you have a KitchenAid stand mixer? They make attachments that do most of this.

LOL, do I seem like the kind of person that would have a stand mixer? :lol:

I didn't even own a rolling pin for the first 25 years of my married life. DD finally bought one for her own use. I still use a cylinder shaped drinking glass when needed. :D

My son paid dearly for this: his teacher called me in one day, to tell me (with much concern) that our son couldn't put the picture cards in order, the cards that showed a woman using a rolling pin. He had NO IDEA what that thing was that she was using. :)

I'm not sure what a stand mixer would actually do. I just use a little electric hand-held mixer. :oops:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1447780845|3950789 said:
Don't feel bad iLander! I had to look up what a mandoline was :/

I might have to get one, I had no idea these things existed.

Yeah, I had to look it up too.

Turns out, it's the bomb! :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I am kitchen inept: we were having a big family reunion some years back, and all the aunties were bustling around in the kitchen.

One of them rifles through the cutlery drawer, then turns to me and says "Where's your slotted spoons?"

I kinda blinked at her for a minute. Then I pulled out a spatula and a spoon.

I said "I've got slotted, and I've got spoon. Which one would you like?"

:bigsmile:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, here is a good video to help you know what to look for in a mandoline. The lady doesn't review it on the video, (it's there on the board tho) but it WAS rated well in their magazine - we found the Oxo one to be very nice and stable and safe, although it IS quite a bit larger than the one she recommends. If space is an issue, then the one she praises, looks pretty good.

Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I15-htHJF_I

iLander

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1447787983|3950877 said:
iLander, here is a good video to help you know what to look for in a mandoline. The lady doesn't review it on the video, (it's there on the board tho) but it WAS rated well in their magazine - we found the Oxo one to be very nice and stable and safe, although it IS quite a bit larger than the one she recommends. If space is an issue, then the one she praises, looks pretty good.

Hope this helps.

That does help, actually. :appl: :appl: Thanks!

I watched it and ordered the one she was talking about!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VZRZE8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=VJTEWOS4BMLS&coliid=I2DX1LGJCQ22VM

PERFECT! Thank you, singer! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1447788272|3950881 said:
ksinger|1447787983|3950877 said:

Hope this helps.

That does help, actually. :appl: :appl: Thanks!

I watched it and ordered the one she was talking about!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VZRZE8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=VJTEWOS4BMLS&coliid=I2DX1LGJCQ22VM

PERFECT! Thank you, singer! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

You're very welcome, and happy making of piles and piles of julienne fries! ;))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you get a quality mandolin, pleeeeeeeez be careful when using-you really can slice off major portions of fingers. :errrr:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanna try those zoodles, what a great idea!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Queenie60|1447781260|3950796 said:
A nice food processor can do all of this with the proper slicing attachments. I've had mine for 27 years and it's still working great, I am a gourmet cook and use it frequently. However, if you have a kitchenaid mixer you can buy all of the necessary attachments to do any type of slicing and dicing your heart desires. This is the way I would go if I had limited space and specific needs. I recently purchased an attachment for my kitchenaid mixer where I can spiral vegetables to take the place of pasta noodles. Pretty nifty :appl:
Really?? I had no idea! I bought a Paderno spiralizer to make noodles from veggies, but I hate cleaning it. An attachment for my kitchen aid (which by the way, was my grandmother's and is older than I am!) would be awesome!! I'm so excited, thank you!

iLander, while I'm not a gourmet cook, I cook ALOT and have both a full size Cuisinart food processor and the mini chopper. For daily cooking for my family of four, I use the mini chopper. For holiday meals, grating carrots for a carrot cake, etc. I use the big fella. It's pretty small and fits in my appliance garage and the bowl/lid can go in dishwasher (not the blade though). Even if you end up getting something to julienne, waffle cut, etc. the mini chopper would be a good addition to your kitchen tools, IMHO.

Q

Queenie60

lambskin|1447792865|3950916 said:
If you get a quality mandolin, pleeeeeeeez be careful when using-you really can slice off major portions of fingers. :errrr:

Yes - I hate to admit, my husband and I both sliced off a bit of finger with one of these. Glad I don't need to use it again as I have my good old food processor and kitchenaid attachments.!!! Took 3 weeks for my finger to heal with butterfly stitches. Ouch ;(

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would use a mandolin slicer for all those, personally. You can buy for a few bucks a cut-proof glove you can wear when using it. I have one. Just make sure you get one that isn't too big for your hand. You want a nice fit.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
chemgirl said:
DH is a vegetarian and we have a small cuisinart fold processor and a mandolin.

They do different things. I find coleslaw and fine shredding to be easier in the food processor, but something fancy like zoodles (zucchini noodles) would need the mandolin.

If your DH can have yams, a favorite of ours is to shred a yam in the food processor and then fry in coconut oil with some onion and fresh thyme. It's sort of like a hash brown, but better for you.

YUM! Your hash brown thingies sound so good!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with Yenny. Love my mini prep. I got it 7 years ago and honestly it is my most used mini appliance after my electric kettle. Must have IMO.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some mandolines have an attachment that you can put onto the vegetable so that you don't have to slice your fingers.

I don't own a mandoline. I have a Cuisinart food processor. I use it all of the time. I don't find it cumbersome or difficult to clean. Everything just goes into the dishwasher. It does everything from making homemade larabars, to making pie crust, to slicing and chopping. It is not capable of making waffle cut potatoes though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results