shape
carat
color
clarity

So....I moved to the other side of the world....

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am now a resident of Western Australia. Who knew? LOL.

Anywho, I am wondering if perhaps we can do a bit of a checkin, if you will, I would LOVE to see who my new neighbors are, and perhaps get a few little bits of advice. My boyfriend and I have decided that we didn't want to do the LDR anymore, it is amazing how happy we are and so excited to be together, finally. It was honestly the easiest choice I have ever made, couldn't be happier. :) Now, I am all settled in, unpacked and up and working again. I am looking to join a few things here, I just wanted to see if anyone has ever 1) done this before 2) had to make new friends as an adult ? I would LOVE some advice. :) :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, R, that's great news! How was the move? I can't imagine the logistics of pulling that off. It's sooooo far away! Anyway, I'm really happy for you!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well, I don't live in Western Australia, so I can't offer any practical suggestions, but I can offer my heartfelt congratulations on this amazing move! I know how much you hated leaving after your last visit, so I was really happy to hear you took the decision to stay. I hope you have a wonderful new life together, wish you all the happiness in the world.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Zoe- Thanks!!!! It has been a lot of fun so far! :)

Jennifer!! Thanks, it was fantastic and pretty easy.The only thing that I need to do is start joining things and meeting people. Then it will be pretty perfect.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
With language not a barrier (well, sort of! :naughty: ) it's easier at least. I've never lived in Australia, but didn't find making friends hard when we moved to Holland. Usually through whatever interests you, same as moving to any new place.

Ex-pat clubs can be a great resource too. In Holland the American Women's Club was far from as stodgy as it sounds; they admitted anybody married to an American or who had ever worked for an American company, whose spouse had, or practically anybody who'd ever visited there. So there was a wide variety of nationalities & experience; we made some good friends. Also a good source for places to find things, stuff to do, etc.

Your consulate or embassy probably also offers suggestions for ex-pats -- might be an idea to give them a visit.

Sounds like a ball.

--- Laurie

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Ill be your friend Renee! :wavey:

Where a bouts are you living? North or south of the river?

We just bought a boat today! Maybe I can meet you over at rotto :naughty:

Seriously though, Im not much help with the making friends thing, I've lived here all my life and only have my school and work friends. Western Australians are pretty friendly though, I'm sure you will have no problems, maybe through work, sports, gym, etc?
What are you in to? Maybe I could steer you towards good places / things to try?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Renee! Congratulations on your big move! :appl: :appl: :appl: What an exciting chapter in your life! I wish you much happiness there!

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HOT!!! I thought you were in Perth...I am up in, ready for this, Dampier...just 20k north of Karratha. M works for Rio Tintos Coastal Ops so we are up here. It isn't bad, actually. Great mix of people and just being with him makes it awesome. I have joined a womens workout/run group here and am making friends a little at a time, I work from home right now so that is making it a bit hard to get out and meet lots of new people. I am working on it, I am pretty friendly and people here are pretty great.

M and I are going to be in Perth for the long weekend in June, are you going to be around? We were in Rotto over Easter, it was cool, I loved the Quokkas. So freaking cute. We should meet up, I am going to be in Freo and in Noranda, where abouts are you?

DS- Thanks SO much :) We are pretty happy and good. Things are going well and I am so looking forward to what the future is going to bring. :)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Wow Renee! I had no idea! That's AWESOME! The running group sounds like a good move! I hope you love it!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my husband is from perth......and the western AU residents are very friendly.

suggestions:

go to cricket matches even if you're not interested.

attend council meetings. they're like neighborhood meetings and actually have a lot of local power re local issues.

hang out at the pubs a bit, especially in Fremantle.

attend some womens' soccer matches. one of the cousin's girlfriend plays/coaches and its a big deal in western AU.

how old are you? if you're early 20's find out where the uni [university] crowds hangout.

throw a party and invite the neighbors.

and as a side note, you will find a wonderful native western AU plant that i adore: kangaroo paw.

most importantly, explore the area. go to the local festivals. its heading into winter there now so i'm not so sure how many go on but come spring there will be a lot of them.

have fun,

MoZo

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1304524718|2912037 said:
my husband is from perth......and the western AU residents are very friendly.

suggestions:

go to cricket matches even if you're not interested.

attend council meetings. they're like neighborhood meetings and actually have a lot of local power re local issues.

hang out at the pubs a bit, especially in Fremantle.

Yeah, totally go to neighborhood meetings. Like MZ said, even if you're not interested in certain topics, you'll find that you'll still click with some people and that can lead to friendships outside of which color paint is acceptable for the fences! lol

And a gym is a great place (as you're going). Weekly scheduled aerobic or yoga classes where the women go the same day(s) every week are wonderful b/c you'll start recognizing faces. Ask where people bought their shoes. Whatever to strike up conversation. lol

And, you like to read...what about finding a book club down there?

Making friends once you've reached adulthood (as you know) requires SO MUCH more effort and I think that being a bit more aggressive (but not creepy stalkerish! lol) is just how it's gotta be. Always have a few beers around so you can invite someone over on short notice. :) What goes better than yoga and a beer?

ETA - if you're working from home, maybe start getting a coffee at lunch hour every day rather than at home? Check out some local places till you find one you click with.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's awesome! As a woman married to an Aussie, I give you full thumbs up! ::)

I totally missed that you were in a LDR with an Aussie...how long did you do the long distance thing? And how did you get to move there so easily? I remember years ago I looked into it and it didn't look like an easy thing to accomplish.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Renee
Congratulations on your big move! :appl:

I was in a LDR for 3 years and we will celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary in July. :praise:
I am currently in the UK but 6 weeks today I will be on my way to Perth, Australia!!! So I will follow your thread with great interest and maybe we could even get a PS GTG in Perth arranged for a time later this year!!!
I wish you great health and happiness in your life together!!!
:wavey:

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
My brother and his family are moving to Perth in June (from Houston, Texas!). I can't wait for them to get there so that I can visit! It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for him and his family, so how could he pass it up?

~LC

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
great restaurant: Pata Negra in Nedlands.

great book store: New Edition on High Street, Fremantle.

great book written by a young Australian and very very interesting: The Slap.

AU is a land of immigrants. The Slap deals with "issues" of those that are first generation born in AU. i found it particularly interesting as hubby's family immigrated from Hungary and his step-father is a Cypriot-Greek.......

you're going to have a great time!

MoZo

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your move, Renee! I think the running group sounds like a great way to meet people. I've worked at home before, and it's hard to not feel isolated, but if you can get out at the same time every day -- maybe visit the same coffee shop -- you'll feel more a part of the community and get to know the rhythm of the day in your new city. Best of luck to you and your bf in your new life together!

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone!!! MZ- Those are great places, I will hit them up when I am in Perth in a few weeks. MC- LOL, Love it. I will totally be checking out my fellow Zumba'ers shoes. :)

TG- Hooray for Aussie hubbies! It was not that hard, I have heard the same thing, though. My visa was approved in something like 6 hours, it is a Holiday Work Visa that is good for a year, thankfully we only need a year of living together to get our next Visa. :) It looks like, according to my immigration officer, we have done it the right way thus far and should be good for the next one, then I will be able to apply for residency. :) Hooray!

HOT/Suzimoo- lets do a get together, that would be SO fun!!! Have you ever been to Perth, Suzi? HOT- you like Little Creatures in Freo? OMG. Love. :) Lets try and plan something, it would be great to meet y'all! :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pfff. No longer your neighbor, but always your friend if you need one here in the States. Just wanted to formally wish you luck and offer my encouragement! Best wishes to you from a virtual pal! :appl: :wavey:

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lula|1304561163|2912638 said:
Congratulations on your move, Renee! I think the running group sounds like a great way to meet people. I've worked at home before, and it's hard to not feel isolated, but if you can get out at the same time every day -- maybe visit the same coffee shop -- you'll feel more a part of the community and get to know the rhythm of the day in your new city. Best of luck to you and your bf in your new life together!

Lula- thanks SO much. :) You are a doll. :)

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
monarch64|1304575507|2912774 said:
Pfff. No longer your neighbor, but always your friend if you need one here in the States. Just wanted to formally wish you luck and offer my encouragement! Best wishes to you from a virtual pal! :appl: :wavey:

Awww, Monnie. Back at you...but in Australia. hooray! ;-)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...so, how long until you get the accent? :naughty:

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
librarychickie|1304551033|2912442 said:
My brother and his family are moving to Perth in June (from Houston, Texas!). I can't wait for them to get there so that I can visit! It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for him and his family, so how could he pass it up?

~LC

No lie!!! That is GREAT!! I have some friends that live in Perth that used to live in Houston, too. And being from Houston, I loved that. :) You get excited when you hear other Americans. :)

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1304582229|2912798 said:

I made so much fun of Madonna I can't even have a slight one. LOL. Seriously. I.just.can't. :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strawdermangrl|1304582985|2912806 said:

I made so much fun of Madonna I can't even have a slight one. LOL. Seriously. I.just.can't. :lol:

::snort::

I bet your American clients wouldn't mind ::)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wow, congrats!! That sounds way awesome.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Strawdermangrl|1304582985|2912806 said:

Sure you can! :Up_to_something:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
MAI LUVAH!

So happy for you. I know I've said that approximately 15,000 times, but it's still true.

As far as meeting people - I find classes of any kind are a good way to meet people. Could you maybe take a yoga class or an art class or something? I always meet people when I'm in some kind of organized group activity (usually sports, but anything works).

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay for you, how exciting! I've only been to WA twice (I live in Victoria near the south coast, about an hour from Melbourne) and loved it! Love the climate 8-)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
please post if/when/where/time/etc if you do have a West AU GTG: we're going to make another trip back this year but not sure when..........

another how to meet people suggestions: there are some interesting museums around Perth.....Shipwrecks out in Freo is interesting as is the Maritime....and the downtown museums get some great exhibits. museums are always looking for volunteers.

MoZo

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone!!!! I am loving it so far, we took a impromtu road trip yesterday and had a fantastic time. We are pretty much in the middle of nowhere but I love the nature part of it and things are going well.

Also, I have made some friends!!! Friday night M and I decided to go to the box shop and have a quiet night at home. We were playing cards and listening to music when a knock on the door came...it was the cute little neighbor from the floor below, Candace. She just so happens to want us to come with her down to have a drink at her house. The door shuts and M looks at me and says 'I have lived here for 2 years and that is the first time anyone has knocked on my door'. The night progresse, we all end up at the bar and yesterday at the grocery, she sees me and M and I and runs up to hug me. I made a friend. Hooray! I also joined Zumba in town and one of the girls that does it with us is a doctor who I met through another mutual friend. Things are looking up!!!!

Princesss- when is NZ, mai luvah?

MZ- I would LOVE to do a Perth GTG- what would work for everyone? I am only a 2.5 hr flight so I can make the trip anytime!!!

Also, anyone up in the Pilbara?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results