shape
carat
color
clarity

So I got a loupe.....

dani13

Ideal_Rock
And now I'm obsessed!

I'm seeing tons of little spots all over the center of my diamond!!! I don't think that they are not inclusions, b/c I have a VS1, and these "spots" are all over!!! At first I thought it was dirt, but I've ultrasonic-ed it 3 times and its not seeming to budge that much! I've also scrubbed it with a toothbrush, and it's not helping. Could I have damaged my diamond somehow? I did use the Jewel Jet a few wks ago... Stupid question, but can that burn it? It almost looks like burn spots!! Help!!!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...I don't know about any of that but my first thought was, do you use hairspray? I know I have to clean my eyeglasses from the hairspray every so often. The lenses on my glasses would feel smooth to the touch, but look really spotty if examined closely. A little alcohol takes care of it and removes it.

I hope it didn't get burned!! Fingers crossed that it's nothing!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have the link to the inclusion map on your stone? VS doesn't mean it isn't included, there would still be something visible with a loupe just not with the naked eye.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.. the look of burnt diamond is unmistakeable, having had the misfortune of seeing one. Even if it is burnt the amount of damage you could do at home should be easily polished off I would think!

If you have clouds or pinpoint inclusions, or crystals, that's my first guess - as nfo says VS1 just means very slightly included under a 10x loupe, not not at all included. It's hard to tell if what you're seeing would qualify as 'very slightly' from your post... but if not, my second guess is persistent dirt on the pavilion. If you can see the pavilion facets through your setting, angle your ring so that sunlight hits them straight on and creates glare - you should be able to see if there's any dirt very easily at that angle. Sometimes toothbrushes, USs, etc. just aren't enough - my OEC was *filthy* when I got it, and it was set so I couldn't go at it with a brillo pad like I really wanted to. If you do see dirt - or want to be extra sure that's not what it is - put a few drops of dishsoap into a bowl of hot water, wrap the whole thing in aluminium foil and let it soak overnight, then try the toothbrush again next day.

Third guess is plain ol' dust! No matter how well I clean mine, wipe with microfibre, air-spray, it's dusty a few seconds later! The dust is especially visible in spotlights for whatever reason - but obviously, not localized to the centre of the stone.

Whatever you do don't hang it over the mouth of a kettle or saucepan to steam it. You'll burn any oils in the water in your kettle right onto your stone, and you'll be scrubbing for the next week. I speak from experience on that one.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about treating your ring to a professional cleaning at a jeweler? I had mine done recently and I really can't believe how much better my stone looks, much brighter and more sparkley. There may be something really stubborn on the diamond (hairspray is a good example). I can't say for sure it will get rid of what you're seeing through the loupe, but it can't hurt and it just might help.

eta: ditto the above posts with regard to checking the inclusion map first.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the advice everyone.....At this point its been soaking for a few hrs now, and its looking a little better. It is totally possible that it may be hairspray, dust etc., even though I am pretty good about trying to avoid those things, I know that I had it on when I had my hair professionally done a few wks ago for my brother's wedding. And she used a TON of hairspray, so it could've been caked on from then.

What scares me is that the only time I've looked at my diamond using a loupe was when I first bought it- years ago...So who knows? I did just have it professionally cleaned a week ago at a local jeweler. She steamed it once and then handed it back to me. So what the heck?

I have the inclusion plot, but I don't even know how to identify my diamond using it. I see things that aren't plotted on there. I know I've been on this site a long while now, but I feel like I'm clueless!!!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Oh no, how irritating! but dont worry, im sure a few more hours and it will be right :))

eh, they get so dirty i cant believe it, i prefer to look at mine with my glasses off ;))

and totally understand your point about the inclusion map, i had a look at mine as soon a i got it, but how the fig are you supposed to know which way the EC goes :cheeky:

ideal5555

Rough_Rock
I WENT THROUGH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AS YOU!

After having my stone laser inscribed, I decided to pull out the loupe and PANICKED when I saw what I saw....
I thought my diamond got switched!

Then after 3 hours of scrubbing the pavilion, it started to look normal again!!!!

(For me: it was lotion I always use on my hands & the stone was about 3 yrs old)

I think giving it a REAL GOOD SCRUB will clear it all up!

good luck!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results