shape
carat
color
clarity

So I bought some new stuff...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
And recently got these octopuses from Galatea USA. They have really great finish and lovely details. For example the inside of the ring has tiny little 'suckers' that aren't visible when worn (but lovely to see when unworn), and they come with little ruby eyes (love! Though I do wonder what sapphire or emerald eyes would look like). And the carved pearls go great as the octopus heads.

IMG_4217.JPG

IMG_4143.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_4175.JPG
IMG_4149.JPG

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
And the glamor shots that enticed me...

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

It's one of those rare cases where the pearls were great out of the box. I can't recall the PS forum policies so I won't post the description etc from the store but I think the pearls are actually bigger than indicated on the site. The site said 9.5mm but mine were labelled as 11 mm and I think they are indeed 11 mm pearls.

One last one of my mini octopus collection (pictured with Sheri's octopus):
FullSizeRender.jpg

Btw all pics taken under various shaded daylight except the finger and neck shots.

Last edited:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow those Galetea pieces are marvellous ! That pearl is AMAZING !

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They should start making coral lobsters! I shall be the first one to buy.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
my jaw dropped....
those little octos are amazing!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Katbran: are you referring to the 16.3mm drop? Yes it is stunning irl. Still remember grabbing it when I first saw it on display lol. Really seldom see such large drops with nice color. And the Galatea octopuses are too gorgeous not to share. It's a shame the other forum doesn't allow threads about it.

Gloria: Thanks!

Artketia: if I come across any lobsters I will let you know. Haven't seen pearl related jewellery with lobsters to be honest. :)

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
do the pearls on the octos have some special clear layer on top? or is the pearl itself that is carved?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are fabulous! They capture the octopus movements well and are elegantly fluid, with just enough detail, and are convincing!

LtypeI

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I love pulling up this thread and looking at your collection, Icy! You have such great taste. I think you have my favorite Tahitian collection.

Those Galatea octos are adorable!

in-the-air

Rough_Rock
Premium
Wow I love them all!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the Galatea octopuses are too gorgeous not to share. It's a shame the other forum doesn't allow threads about it.

What? Why not???

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What? Why not???

I know..I was so surprised when I went to look for your thread and found myself locked out ! Quite a disappointing reaction tbh.

Well you know how much I love the big drop - you are certainly right in that large drops with that surface and colour are rare as hens teeth lol I still regret not getting one from Andy Mueller a few years back..it was enormous and while it didn't have the colour that yours does..it had the most amazing swirly pattern to the greys and greens..like a watercolour painting. It was quite pricey but I've always regretted not buying it.

Those Galetea pearls are remarkable - I wasn't a fan initially of the faceted look but it's really grown on me and it's perfect in that Octopus... well...Octopi I guess : )

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Gloria: the pearl itself is carved.

Bluegemz: indeed. They have finally scratched my octopus "itch". Always lusted over various octopus related pearl items and am really happy with these. Really nice details and I love the polished finishing.

Ltype: thank you! That is a huge compliment and you brought a smile to my face. I am now motivated to post some of my new Tahitians... whenever I find time to take decent photos of them. Some beautiful peacocks and multis... :)

In the air: thanks!

Cmd: I'm not sure why. I only found out when the thread I created on the other forum was moved/removed without any notification. After waiting for a while (was it too much to expect at least a brief note/explanation why?), I finally contacted one of the mods and she said she wasn't able to share the reason why ALL threads specifically about Galatea have been removed as it's confidential.

Katbran: I was quite disturbed and disappointed to be honest. I mean, the main reason I became active on the other forum was because I didn't like heavy handed "moderation", whoever it pertained to and for whatever reason. But at least Ella explained here and I could understand why she had to take action in PS. When my thread there was moved/removed, there was no explanation whatsoever until I asked. Presumably if I didn't ask then nothing would have been said? You can't be the only one there who noticed my thread being moved... was originally too lazy to post here tbh but I HAD TO after what happened...

Anyway, let's move on. I like the pearl community and I see no point in kicking up a fuss, like creating a new thread there/here to rant. I only wanted to share my new octopuses as I think they are really gorgeous and thought that others with the same octopus craving (?) that I used to have might been interested to know about them. I'm just still fairly disappointed with what happened and will be less active for a while... anyway my work n home keeps me busy enough.

I remember you mentioning the Andy Mueller drop before. Maybe you can try asking them? I know what you mean about those pearls with regret. Totally feel that way about some of the Tahitians I helped baby nurse to purchase like her Easter eggs strand and the gorgeous ombré rope... :P2

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
WOW. Where did you get the purple FWP strand?

Catching up on some older questions...

The purple strand was from Rio Pearls in Hong Kong. I subsequently went to the HK fair and saw quite a few strands of dark purples from fwp sellers like Grace etc.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Icy - I have a question about that leather / tahitian bracelet. I was looking at them in HK and didn't buy them as I was concerned that the pearls would swing under the wrist and leave the clasp on top. Do you find that to be the case or is it something that just needs to be quite fitted so it doesn't move? I'm really interested in what you think.

I didn't get them as well so I really have no idea. But presumably the pearl would move unless its quite snug? M guessing that it's like necklaces. Always moving even if I've a long "tail" behind... I think it will be an appealing item for younger ladies? And price point is attractive too. Those rubber bracelets with single Tahitian pearl are also quite nice. Did you get them in the end?

Sorry I took so long to respond. For a while this thread was threadjacked and I just left it alone and removed the alerts cos it was so annoying to be notified of non relevant stuff.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
They are all beautiful! You have a great eye. Personally, I'd like to see your whole collection in a group shot or in sets...
Just saying, eye candy

Maybe I'll do one occasionally of my bathroom counter items? I keep my current favs handy cos it's so troublesome to open the safe each time and look for pearls to wear, plus I never have enough time in the morning to slowly think about what to wear...

I just arranged my counter so if I manage to take a decent pic I'll post soon. =)2

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Here's what on my bathroom counter, which has what's on my current 'active' wear list. As you can see, loads of earrings and not as many necklaces...

Top drawer:
IMG_4559.JPG

Bottom:
IMG_4564.JPG

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I didn't get them as well so I really have no idea. But presumably the pearl would move unless its quite snug? M guessing that it's like necklaces. Always moving even if I've a long "tail" behind... I think it will be an appealing item for younger ladies? And price point is attractive too. Those rubber bracelets with single Tahitian pearl are also quite nice. Did you get them in the end?

Sorry I took so long to respond. For a while this thread was threadjacked and I just left it alone and removed the alerts cos it was so annoying to be notified of non relevant stuff.

The leather bracelets with multiple pearls and leather cords - the pearls were fixed in position. I thought it was doomed to swing down and hang underneath leaving a not so interesting clasp on top. Unless...it was a very close fit..then it would be fine. I didn't get any as I didn't have any faith in the design..but I might have someone try them on for me and wave an arm around to see if they shift. It's going to be all in the fit...which makes it a bit tricky.

As for that Andy Mueller pearl - I actually called about it the next day..it was gone. sigh

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Just received these today! :P2

I really liked this carved pearl from Galatea but was unsure re: getting it initially. But buoyed by the octopuses, I decided to go ahead to get this pair of "Heart of Gold" earrings but in white gold instead of yellow gold. Toyed with the idea of setting them myself for my diamond huggies and am glad I didn't cos I really like the setting that looks like sepals (the green part around a flower).

The wires are nice and long too.
IMG_4766.JPG

Side and bottom
IMG_4767.JPG

Ear shot
IMG_4762.JPG

Glamour shot that caught my heart
IMG_1680.JPG

Am now thinking that maybe I need to get a couple of loose ones to make into a pendant and/or bangle set... :twisted2:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ooooo Icy - I love those !! :appl: I saw them on a web site somewhere a couple of weeks ago and thought...'oh yeah..nice enough' But looking at yours !! Well they are Gorgeous !! And a great size as well..how large are they? On the web site they looked small ( not his web site..)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
The octos are stunning! So weird (and disappointing) about your thread being deleted on the other forum.

The earrings are awesome!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ooooo Icy - I love those !! :appl: I saw them on a web site somewhere a couple of weeks ago and thought...'oh yeah..nice enough' But looking at yours !! Well they are Gorgeous !! And a great size as well..how large are they? On the web site they looked small ( not his web site..)

Thanks! They are 10.5mm. It's a good size (and you know my PSS is pretty severe lol). I mean, I won't mind another 1 mm or so but it looks nice on the ears imo.

The octos are stunning! So weird (and disappointing) about your thread being deleted on the other forum.

The earrings are awesome!

Thanks they are! Really like them. Something different from my other pearls.

Re: deleting the thread, the admins explained why and I'm alright with the decision now. There is a rationale behind the decision but I don't think I've the right to disclose why so won't say more.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Okay.
Confession time.
I 100% stalk your pearls posts @icy_jade :o 8):sun:
You have SUCH beautiful pearls. The more I've learnt about pearls the more I've come to appreciate certain collections, and to me yours is especially special!! I can see why you'd call it "holy grail" and consider it "finished".
Those baroque akoyas - no closeup here but I've salivated over them any number of times. And of course those multicolours... The wave rope gets me every time :love: :love:

Which do you normally wear together, if any?
Do you ever wrap any of your strands 'round the wrist as bracelets?

Oh. Another question. How often do you restring?

@yssie replying to you here so that I don’t hijack the other thread (which anyway think is meant to be diamonds? oops).

Awwww thanks yssie, that’s so nice to hear that you like my collection 8)

re: your question about stacking, not together and for two main reasons:
1. Weak neck - pearl ropes are heavy!! I do feel the weight if I try to wear more than one rope so usually no. The only exception is the two Tahitian baroque peacock strands that I always wear together. Which brings me to the next point...
2. Style - umm I see people who mix and match with aplomb and I do enjoy seeing them do that but my usual style is casual and minimalist so I always feel like OTT when I try to mix different strands/types together. Or maybe I’m just too matchy-matchy.

Re: wrapping the wrist as bracelets, no as they wouldn’t sit well though I have toyed with the idea of re-stringing some strands as bracelets instead of necklaces. But I feel like they will irritate me when I’m typing at work... but will be nice to look at... so maybe? Won’t say never.

Re-string... ummm so far no? The ones on silicon/wires don’t need to be re-strung (different Japaneses vendors all told me that) and the ones on string yes but then I’ve not gotten around to doing so. I have so many strands anyway I can just wear another strand if the string is loose (ok it sounds terrible and it is). Re-stringing has been on my to-do list forever and I should really do it. Maybe after I inventorise my collection (which is currently WIP)...

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
And recently got these octopuses from Galatea USA. They have really great finish and lovely details. For example the inside of the ring has tiny little 'suckers' that aren't visible when worn (but lovely to see when unworn), and they come with little ruby eyes (love! Though I do wonder what sapphire or emerald eyes would look like). And the carved pearls go great as the octopus heads.

IMG_4217.JPG

IMG_4143.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_4175.JPG
IMG_4149.JPG

I am so glad this thread popped up in Pearls today. I'd seen your adorable octopus ring in the "animals" thread, but I had no idea there was a MATCHING PENDANT!! Really takes the adorableness to another level. :kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie replying to you here so that I don’t hijack the other thread (which anyway think is meant to be diamonds? oops).

Awwww thanks yssie, that’s so nice to hear that you like my collection 8)

re: your question about stacking, not together and for two main reasons:
1. Weak neck - pearl ropes are heavy!! I do feel the weight if I try to wear more than one rope so usually no. The only exception is the two Tahitian baroque peacock strands that I always wear together. Which brings me to the next point...
2. Style - umm I see people who mix and match with aplomb and I do enjoy seeing them do that but my usual style is casual and minimalist so I always feel like OTT when I try to mix different strands/types together. Or maybe I’m just too matchy-matchy.

Re: wrapping the wrist as bracelets, no as they wouldn’t sit well though I have toyed with the idea of re-stringing some strands as bracelets instead of necklaces. But I feel like they will irritate me when I’m typing at work... but will be nice to look at... so maybe? Won’t say never.

Re-string... ummm so far no? The ones on silicon/wires don’t need to be re-strung (different Japaneses vendors all told me that) and the ones on string yes but then I’ve not gotten around to doing so. I have so many strands anyway I can just wear another strand if the string is loose (ok it sounds terrible and it is). Re-stringing has been on my to-do list forever and I should really do it. Maybe after I inventorise my collection (which is currently WIP)...

I went back through this thread today :love:

I think I'm nearly done with my "holy grail pearls" collection too. I suppose there will always be a few more pieces on the list, but... It feels nearly complete. One bracelet, one rope, and one pair of studs to go. I've almost fallen into a need to complete collection trap so many times now - I feel like I need one specimen of each pearl type before I can mentally close the door... But I couldn't possibly afford that, even if I could find somehow them all!!

I wear my tahitians together too. Especially the baroques. I haven't figured out how to mix and match other pearl types - tahitians with akoyas, akoyas with south seas, somehow never quite works for me. I feel like I "need" some neutral-colour baby keshis to mediate ::)

Restrings! Thanks for your thoughts! I'm pretty new to pealrs. I've been wearing them a ton this year, and as soon as I feel pearls starting to move a little between knots I start to worry. Which means that I'm restringing every six months or so - which is - a lot. Seems like I'm probably worrying needlessly. Either that or I need to request furniture nylon :lol:

Can I beg for a 2020 full collection pic? I know pearls go flat when photographed from far away and on-high! But - selfishly - I also know what many of your strands look like from more flattering angles, I'd love to see your full "holy grail collection" of strands and earrings!! :love:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Can I beg for a 2020 full collection pic? I know pearls go flat when photographed from far away and on-high! But - selfishly - I also know what many of your strands look like from more flattering angles, I'd love to see your full "holy grail collection" of strands and earrings!! :love:

Not all together but earrings and pendants ok cos I have them in trays and they are easy to take out. Not with the strands as they are a pain to take out/keep. I’ll do it this weekend when I have some time.

Ok and to be very honest cos I have so many that it’s embarrassing. Lol.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Not all together but earrings and pendants ok cos I have them in trays and they are easy to take out. Not with the strands as they are a pain to take out/keep. I’ll do it this weekend when I have some time.

Ok and to be very honest cos I have so many that it’s embarrassing. Lol.

The best thing about Pricescope is that it's a safe space for jewelry lovers to share their passion for diamonds, gemstones, pearls, and all things sparkly. I don't think you can ever have too much of what you love. Share away, please.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'd love to see your full "holy grail collection" of strands and earrings!! :love:

Ok here they are all mixed up in my trays... some CS and diamond stuff as was lazy to sort...
5BFB5FD4-8FCC-4E7A-B880-635DF0ABF24A.jpeg

Still love all my giant pendants...
16ECB207-9D6D-4FC5-A249-F45A05186412.jpeg

And my absolute favorite earrings. I LOVE all of them. Still sigh over their luster/color/overtones/perfect drop shapes when I see them, or some are just so wearable that they make the cut

CE0D1F4D-6A1A-4A91-A89A-13A21DE31E34.jpeg

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok here they are all mixed up in my trays... some CS and diamond stuff as was lazy to sort...
5BFB5FD4-8FCC-4E7A-B880-635DF0ABF24A.jpeg

Still love all my giant pendants...
16ECB207-9D6D-4FC5-A249-F45A05186412.jpeg

And my absolute favorite earrings. I LOVE all of them. Still sigh over their luster/color/overtones/perfect drop shapes when I see them, or some are just so wearable that they make the cut

CE0D1F4D-6A1A-4A91-A89A-13A21DE31E34.jpeg

Gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results