shape
carat
color
clarity

So disappointing ...

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
DH thought he was being so cute and clever by saving up all of his coke bottle caps, wrapping them up, and giving them to me as an anniversary gift. Supposedly he thought that you got one free itunes song for each cap. When I went to the site you actually get 3 coke points per cap and anything decent is a ton of coke points. He was so proud of himself for being creative, resourceful and surprising me with something that I would have NEVER have guessed. Now I don't know how I'll tell him, or bend the truth, about their real value as I know he'll ask what songs I got :(sad

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just remind him that it's the thought that counts and that it was so sweet of him to think of something so clever. Years from now, you'll both chuckle about it. At least he put some thought into your gift...my DH cops out any buys me a gift cert. to the spa (and I've told him I'm NOT a spa kinda girl for 10 years now!)

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
yennyfire|1314665642|3004976 said:
Just remind him that it's the thought that counts and that it was so sweet of him to think of something so clever. Years from now, you'll both chuckle about it. At least he put some thought into your gift...my DH cops out any buys me a gift cert. to the spa (and I've told him I'm NOT a spa kinda girl for 10 years now!)

LOL! I bought my other sparkly gift :cheeky: I have thought about framing the caps or putting them in a decorative jar :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like both of those ideas.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1314665786|3004982 said:
yennyfire|1314665642|3004976 said:

LOL! I bought my other sparkly gift :cheeky: I have thought about framing the caps or putting them in a decorative jar :)

What a great idea! Your DH's is such a cute idea and so thoughtful...you want to remember it!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the jar idea.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1314664572|3004957 said:
DH thought he was being so cute and clever by saving up all of his coke bottle caps, wrapping them up, and giving them to me as an anniversary gift. Supposedly he thought that you got one free itunes song for each cap. When I went to the site you actually get 3 coke points per cap and anything decent is a ton of coke points. He was so proud of himself for being creative, resourceful and surprising me with something that I would have NEVER have guessed. Now I don't know how I'll tell him, or bend the truth, about their real value as I know he'll ask what songs I got :(sad

All you need is one great amazing special song... but how to choose one?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehrabehra|1314718439|3005392 said:
Sparkly Blonde|1314664572|3004957 said:

All you need is one great amazing special song... but how to choose one?

Is it possible that you could find a song you like from the choices available? I think I would just be honest with him, but make a big deal of how sweet and special you thought his gift was.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
The thought that he put behind the gift made my heart melt. Too cute. If FI did that, it would make me love him forever regardless of the fact that they aren't exactly usable.

I like the jar idea too :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just be honest with him. And truthfully, I'd be pissed.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you buy at least one song with what he gave you? if so, i like the idea of making it a special song that has meaning for both of you. if not, i would get creative and buy a large shadow frame, then arrange the caps to make some sort of image to hang on my wall! leave them white and make something simple - a dove, a heart, flowers, etc. OR paint them to create a scene such as the beach at sunset, a bridge over water, or a multicolored heart, flower bouquet, etc. have fun with it! and maybe once he realizes his gift didn't turn out as intended, he'll surprise you with something else and you'll have TWO great memories!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1314726271|3005517 said:

:confused:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm.. How naive does someone have to be to think that EVERY COKE BOTTLE CAP in the world earns you a "free" ($1 value) song on iTunes? Sounds like he gave you a bag of trash thoughtlessly. Because how much "thought" went into researching this promotion that he spent so much time "working on".

I'd be pissed too. And worry about his intelligence.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
why not tell him how creative the gift is,how much you enjoyed his thoughtfulness and tell him you want to keep on collecting caps to get something together. Buy a really cool jar that can be displayed so people can see your progress and it will be a reminder of the original anniversary gift and how it started, and so there is a positive outcome when you tell him it will take a while to redeem the caps for a gift...after the gift is bought then start over for the next gift. its a win/win. :D

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1314728985|3005554 said:
Hmm.. How naive does someone have to be to think that EVERY COKE BOTTLE CAP in the world earns you a "free" ($1 value) song on iTunes? Sounds like he gave you a bag of trash thoughtlessly. Because how much "thought" went into researching this promotion that he spent so much time "working on".

I'd be pissed too. And worry about his intelligence.

Stepping overboard just a little, Deco.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1314727230|3005534 said:
monarch64|1314726271|3005517 said:

:confused:

I will clarify, AN: I would be pissed if my husband gave me a bag of bottle caps for our anniversary and said he thought they were good for free iTunes songs. Even before I found out that they were not, in fact, valuable, I would be pissed that I got a bag of bottle caps for my anniversary. I'd rather have a plastic iTunes gift card, or you know, a new pair of plastic ear buds, or even a plastic/vinyl record of an old album that meant something to us. Or a plastic gift card to say, anywhere I liked to shop in the amount of all the money he spent on Cokes to "save up" those bottle caps. But maybe my idea of thoughtful is different than others.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Not going to lie, my first thought would be "WTF?" and then I'd be pretty mad. I mean, I know they did a promotion a year or two ago where you got songs from iTunes, but obviously that wasn't going to last forever. Was this for a birthday or something, or a just because gift?

I'd also tell him the truth if he asked, though I might not bring it up if he doesn't if it was an out of the blue gift. A birthday gift or anniversary gift, and I'd definitely bring it up. But I'm one of those people where gift giving means a LOT, and I get really annoyed when things don't seem to have any thought (or research, in this case) put into them.

ETA: Just saw your response. Glad you're taking it in stride and laughing about it!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not pissed and it is not a reflection of low intelligence. It was very creative but a bit misguided. Jewelermans idea is an excellent one! It's the little things in life that matter and what a fun way to enjoy the little things with the person I love :)

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a big gift person and as such I challenged DH to get something creative under $10. I see it as a guy version of creative.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am sorry you were disappointed. I would think about asking him to type in the codes (that's the most annoying and difficult part, IMO) and then say you'll pick out the reward together. Maybe you'll decide easily on something non-music related and it won't come up at all.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkly Blonde|1314732362|3005594 said:
I'm not a big gift person and as such I challenged DH to get something creative under $10. I see it as a guy version of creative.

Ok, pertinent information that you left out in your OP. All I heard was "anniversary gift" and "bottle caps" and "disappointing." :D

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry. Vacation brain is kicking in early along with "aahhhhhh, I think my sparkly is lost in the hurricane! "

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1314735190|3005653 said:
Sorry. Vacation brain is kicking in early along with "aahhhhhh, I think my sparkly is lost in the hurricane! "

OH MY GOSH. Have you found it yet? I'd totally leave out information, too, if I had a lost sparkly on the brain!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
USPS lost, or possibly delayed, it. It was being shipped from a state that was on the tail end of the storm and should have left before it hit ...

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I'd think it was cute, esp. given the budget.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkly Blonde|1314732362|3005594 said:

OP - if the challenge was "to get something creative under $10," IMHO I don't think your DH met the challenge
1. With a budget limited to under $10, and based on Coke retail pricing, there couldn't have been many bottle caps wrapped up
2. Even the most cursory check on Google would have revealed to your DH that the number of bottle caps he gave you would yield nothing

But if you're happy with the gift and find it creative, that's all that matters.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
LOL. Ironic that this thread pops up again on our actual anniversary (Today). He gets a bit ahead of himself sometimes too.

DH felt bad about what happened. I mentioned that Jared had a free Pandora bracelet with purchase this weekend and for DH to choose two charms for it. He bought almost a full bracelet of charms instead :cheeky: and I love it ::)

ETA: Thanks to my coworker I found out that the caps really are worth one song, or full CD's for a group of them, each. The website was nearly impossible to find

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1315668923|3014398 said:
LOL. Ironic that this thread pops up again on our actual anniversary (Today). He gets a bit ahead of himself sometimes too.

DH felt bad about what happened. I mentioned that Jared had a free Pandora bracelet with purchase this weekend and for DH to choose two charms for it. He bought almost a full bracelet of charms instead :cheeky: and I love it ::)

ETA: Thanks to my coworker I found out that the caps really are worth one song, or full CD's for a group of them, each. The website was nearly impossible to find
So when you mention you got jewelry why aren't you showing us? ... pictures of bracelet... NOW!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
glad it worked out for you in the end. But I'm guessin (know- since I saw the ad for Jared) that the new gift costs a lot more than the $10 challenge.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results