shape
carat
color
clarity

So-cal / OC / ucla ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LS90

Rough_Rock
ok, so here''s the situation and the thoughts:

It is time to pop the question, she''s pursuing a masters in so-cal (education) and i live on the east coast, so time is limited to weekends that i''m visiting in so-cal. Of course i don''t know so-cal at all. Another problem is that i don''t set the agenda when i''m there, so this can''t be anything more than a few hours because there''s usually a skeleton schedule in the works. So if anyone has any suggestions on a place or a restaurant to eat at i''d love to hear them.

The major area would be around Anaheim or Fullerton, though i guess long beach or brea aren''t too far out of the way. My problem is that i only know chain restaurants in the area, ok so even for a chain the Melting Pot is a really nice place, but just doesn''t seem to have it. She loves Disney, and it would be great there, but unfortunately that''s been ruled out (her annual pass expired not long ago and it isn''t being renewed for awhile, she won''t let me bring her to the park if we''re both paying for daily ones).

The same questions about the UCLA area on a sunday (the getty and getty villa are possible but they might be a bit out of the way). Are there any just really beautiful around campus that someone would suggest.

also, so after spending months on figuring out the ring.....figuring out how to ask the question should be easy, right?

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I would try for near UCLA. I don''t know of anywhere on campus, but a few options nearby:

-Beach - Malibu/Santa Monica - 15-20 minute drive, you could have lunch at the Chart House or something and then propose on the beach
-Beverly Hills - Will Rogers Park, Greystone Mansion Park both BEAUTIFUL (10 mins away)
-Romantic restaurant in the area: The Little Door (3rd St, West Hollywood 15 mins away)
-Getty/Getty Villa also very nice, good ideas

Sure some other So Cal folks will chime in!!

RoyalFB

Rough_Rock
Hey LS90,

I''m having the same problem trying to figure out what to do in Chicago. I work at UCLA and I can tell you that there is nothing in the immediate area (Westwood)that would be ideal for proposing. The Getty is a great idea and only about 10-15 minutes from campus. There are some beautiful gardens that overlook the entire L.A. area on a clear day. That would be my 1st choice. Another similar spot would be the Griffith Observatory, but that''s a little further away. Good luck!

mjso

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know how close to UCLA it has to be or if you are into this kind of thing at all, but there are two pretty good hikes that I think could be awesome proposal spots.

The first is Runyan Canyon which is in Hollywood, its an off-leash dog park as well, so you''d have to be okay with doggies and lots of people. But the hike goes up to a few benches at the peak and it overlooks all of LA. If you don''t mind other people being around this could be cool.

The second is a hike in Griffith Park through the bat caves (the place where they shot the opening of the television show Batman). Once you walk through the cave, it opens out into an AWESOME view of the Hollywood sign. This is a bit more secluded, I don''t usually see many other people when I take this hike.

Also, if you are looking for restaurants, I like to use www.yelp.com to find good places around here. You might be able to find something more romantic and not so chain retauranty on there. Actually, that reminds me of a resturant I went to in Torrance that was pretty cool. I think it is called Il Chianti. It is a Japanese Italian restaurant. At first I thought it would be like fusion, but it is actually more like going to Tokyo and having italian. Almost all of the food is pretty traditional, but everything is in Japanese. I thought it was a neat little place.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
If you are in Orange County, what about planning dinner at Orange Hill restaurant? It has good food and the best part - it is up on a hill and has a huge patio that overlooks the whole area. At sunset and into the night it is beyond beautiful up there.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi LS90,

I know both areas pretty well, and can make a few broad suggestions. If you were able to share a bit more information (like whether you envisioned a place with a sweeping view, a secluded place, and elegant restaurant, etc.), I''d be pleased to help offer some less-generalized suggestions.

On the UCLA campus, two places come to mind as being among the best. The first is the Sculpture Garden, which is in North Campus, to the north of Bunche Hall. There''s a Rodin as well as a reflecting pool, and it can be softly romantic at night. The best view on campus is at the western end of Dickson Plaza at the top of Jans Steps; one passes by the four "old buildings" on campus, there''s a water feature, and then steps to lower campus and overlooking the hill with the dorms. For a map: http://www.biochemistry.ucla.edu/biochem/Faculty/graphics/map2.jpeg

BTW, the Getty center is, in LA sprawl terms, *really* close to the UCLA campus. It''s about 3 miles away, and the view from the South-facing perches as night falls across the city is spectacular; lights extend as far as the eye can see in all directions (on a clear day, it''s about 60 miles), with the exception of the ocean a few miles to the west. http://www.getty.edu

In Orange County, and if you''re envisioning an old-school elegant restaurant, I''d recommend taking a look at The Ritz in Newport Beach. For a more modern yet exquisite restaurant, try the ones at the beautiful Montage resort in Laguna Beach.
http://www.ritzrestaurant.com/
http://www.montagelagunabeach.com/dining/

I haven''t been to the following, but as she LOVES Disney, one option comes to mind: Napa Rose at the Grand Californian Hotel (access possible without Park Admission) http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/hotels/dining/detail?name=NapaRoseDiningPage&bhcp=1 . It, obviously, is in Anaheim.
1.gif

Hope this helps!
f-d-l

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LA: UCLA Japanese Garden in Bel Air, Sculpture Garden, between Royce and Powell, Janss steps, Getty Museum, Hotel Bel Air
super romantic restaurants if she likes that sort of thing: The Little Door, Il Cielo, Inn of the Seventh Ray, Valentino

Fullerton: The Cellar restaurant. Nothing else really in terms of scenery, I don''t think.

Anaheim: Napa Rose

RoyalFB

Rough_Rock
I have another option for you. If you don''t mind a little further drive up the coast. The "Hero''s Garden" in Malibu on Pepperdine University''s campus is amazing. It is monument to some graduates that were involved with retaking flight 93 during the September 11 attacks. It is a stunning view and there is hardly ever anyone there (which is a real shame). I often used it as a place to study, but the views are incredible and it is extremely private. It is located at the top of the campus and if you can make it out there I know you wouldn''t be disapointed
21.gif

basisforaday

Rough_Rock
what if you "won" disney passes at work? is it possible to prepurchase these so it looks like a contest? The great thing then is that it looks spontanious and you can surprise her.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sure you''ve proposed already, but I''ll give you another suggestion just in case. Huntington Garden in Pasadena!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
The Cat.

Go south to La Jolla to the coves.

You can take a ride on the Coaster up North...and do something different. A train ride is really cool.

Oh poo I just reread the thread and it is from January...well, fella if you did the deed, please come back and tell us about it!

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
...Or you could go for a drive down PCH, and head east on Topanga....on your left (but dipped down into the landscape, so keep your eyes peeled!!!) is a restaurant called The Inn of the Seventh Ray. Ask for a seat outside by the creek. Better yet, call them and tell them you''re proposing.

they have a website, go take a look and see if it looks like something your girl would like
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results