shape
carat
color
clarity

snappy combacks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Yesterday a friend asked me (in front of my boyfriend) how long we had been dating. I responded:

"Long enough for me to want him to propose, short enough that he doesn''t feel like he has to yet."

She cracked up, he rolled his eyes.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
haha that''s too funny :)

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Haha, sillyberry. I like it. Well done!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 2:30:01 PM
Author:sillyberry
Yesterday a friend asked me (in front of my boyfriend) how long we had been dating. I responded:

''Long enough for me to want him to propose, short enough that he doesn''t feel like he has to yet.''

Maybe I''m dense, but why didn''t you just answer the question instead of put your BF on the spot? Was it asked as a, "Why aren''t you married?" type of question, or as an honest question?

I guess as somebody who''s happy, but not quite ready to get engaged, I''d feel really awful about being put on the spot by somebody that''s supposed to be my partner, especially when they were asked a simple question.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 2:54:24 PM
Author: princesss

''Long enough for me to want him to propose, short enough that he doesn''t feel like he has to yet.''

Maybe I''m dense, but why didn''t you just answer the question instead of put your BF on the spot? Was it asked as a, ''Why aren''t you married?'' type of question, or as an honest question?

I guess as somebody who''s happy, but not quite ready to get engaged, I''d feel really awful about being put on the spot by somebody that''s supposed to be my partner, especially when they were asked a simple question.
I kind of have to agree with princesss .. I hope you don''t answer that to everyone who asks you that question!

I do think what you said was funny, but within the right context. There''s no reason to have a "comeback" to someone asking you how long you''ve been together. You should be happy to tell them whether it''s 1 year or 10
1.gif

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

'Long enough for me to want him to propose, short enough that he doesn't feel like he has to yet.'

Maybe I'm dense, but why didn't you just answer the question instead of put your BF on the spot? Was it asked as a, 'Why aren't you married?' type of question, or as an honest question?

I guess as somebody who's happy, but not quite ready to get engaged, I'd feel really awful about being put on the spot by somebody that's supposed to be my partner, especially when they were asked a simple question.

Well, she asked him how long we had been together and he said he couldn't give her an very specific answer, but he bet I could. I responded, we laughed, then I told her the exact amount of time.

In context, I promise, he wasn't on the spot. I could see how it would come across that way, though.

ETA: Now I feel bad! It was really just meant to be funny. Oy vey...

ETA2: When I feel bad I get obsessive and panicky, so I asked boyfriend (who is more than happy to tell me when things bother him). And he said he knew I was just teasing and didn't feel pressured. So, there's that.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 3:18:31 PM
Author: sillyberry

Maybe I''m dense, but why didn''t you just answer the question instead of put your BF on the spot? Was it asked as a, ''Why aren''t you married?'' type of question, or as an honest question?

Well, she asked him how long we had been together and he said he couldn''t give her an very specific answer, but he bet I could. I responded, we laughed, then I told her the exact amount of time.

In context, I promise, he wasn''t on the spot. I could see how it would come across that way, though.

ETA: Now I feel bad! It was really just meant to be funny. Oy vey...

ETA2: When I feel bad I get obsessive and panicky, so I asked boyfriend (who is more than happy to tell me when things bother him). And he said he knew I was just teasing and didn''t feel pressured. So, there''s that.

Aww... I hope you didn''t feel bad for too long! In so many posts, it''s hard to discern the tone and the context surrounding stories. Personally, I read it as fun teasing and thought it was cute.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
SB - I''m glad he wasn''t annoyed. My BF tends to be sensitive to stuff like that (he hates being put on the spot, especially since we''re supposed to be "safe" with each other, KWIM?) and my guy friends always ask me why their GFs do stuff like that, so I always worry, you know? I''m glad you guys are able to communicate, and he knew that you were just joking. I really didn''t mean to worry you!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I actually respond depending on how it comes off. If someone is trying to be snarky to me, I tell them Long enough and leave it at that. Sometimes I joke about it, if someone says "when's the wedding" I say " when he gets on a knee" or "when he asks me"

ETA this is normally meant to show that I am not being pushy to SO and want it to be when BOTH of us are ready, so they shouldn't feel a need to pressure us with the question any further.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results