shape
carat
color
clarity

SMDH

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an excerpt from and a link to Serena Williams' story for anyone who is not familiar with it. If this can happen to very wealthy celebrity, it can happen to anyone, at least to any woman of color.

"Not even the tennis dynamo Serena Williams is immune from the complications and challenges new mothers face during and after childbirth.

In a Vogue cover story published online on Wednesday, Ms. Williams, who holds 23 Grand Slam titles — some call her a superhero, others a queen — shared her agonizing postnatal experience, including an episode in which hospital employees did not act on her concern that she was experiencing a pulmonary embolism, a sudden blockage of an artery in the lung by a blood clot. She is prone to such clots, a condition that nearly killed her in 2011.

'Serena lives in fear of blood clots,' the Vogue article said.

On Sept. 2, the day after giving birth to her daughter via cesarean section, Ms. Williams was having trouble breathing and 'immediately assumed she was having another pulmonary embolism,' the article says.

She alerted a nurse to what she felt was happening in her body and asked for a CT scan and a blood thinner, but the nurse suggested that pain medication had perhaps left Ms. Williams confused, according to Vogue. Ms. Williams insisted, but a doctor instead performed an ultrasound of her legs.

'I was like, a Doppler? I told you, I need a CT scan and a heparin drip,' Ms. Williams, 36, said she told the medical team.

When the ultrasound revealed nothing, she underwent a CT scan, which showed several small blood clots in her lungs. She was immediately put on the heparin drip. 'I was like, listen to Dr. Williams!' she told the doctors.

A spokeswoman for Ms. Williams declined to comment beyond the Vogue article.

The need to ensure that medical professionals are responsive to new mothers’ concerns has gained attention in recent years. The 'Stop. Look. Listen!' campaign, for example, which was introduced in 2012, aims to empower women to report pregnancy-related medical issues and to increase awareness and responsiveness among health care practitioners.

About 700 women die each year in the United States as a result of pregnancy or delivery complications, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Complications affect more than 50,000 women annually. And the risk of pregnancy-related death is three to four times as high for black women as it is for white women, the C.D.C. says.

Even more troubling, the numbers have increased steadily from 7.2 deaths per 100,000 live births in 1987 to a high of 17.8 deaths per 100,000 live births in 2009 and 2011, according to the C.D.C."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/sports/tennis/serena-williams-baby-vogue.html

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This country and its leaders are marching backward as fast as they can.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew it wouldn’t be long before we heard words of wisdom from republican representatives defending the bills banning abortion.

Missouri state representative Barry Hovis, a former police officer, stated that it’s been his experience that most rapes are “date rapes” or “consensual rapes” and are not the “gentlemen jumping out of bushes types of rape”.

This jerk has risen stupidity and ignorance to an art form.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This country and its leaders are marching backward as fast as they can.

In some ways, it's even worse than backwards. Pre-Roe v. Wade, women were not prosecuted for abortion - charges were focused on practitioners. With the wording of some of these new laws, such as Georgia's, there is a focus on declaring "personhood" for the fetus in such a way that prosecutors can go after women for murder, or accessory to murder if they cross into another state where the procedure is legal. Even other people who assist her in any way, such as loaning her money, giving her a ride, helping her make arrangements, etc., can be gone after for accessory. This type of thing has actually already been happening in some jurisdictions where there are "personhood" statutes - women have been criminally investigated and in some cases charged for various offenses when there have been miscarriages, stillbirths, etc., implying that she somehow was at fault or intended to cause the termination. Even when medical examiners would confirm that there were no indications that there was intentional foul play, authorities would find things to charge the women with.

Additionally, before Roe, doctors would often be given a little bit of latitude to make a judgement as to whether a particular woman's case presented a reasonable exception, such as seriously heightened risk to her well-being, rape, incest, etc. Alabama's and Missouri's new laws give no room for such allowances.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7E3E020A-1400-4429-8481-FD5F46833ECE.jpeg
FD238EE2-4C6A-4FD7-9AEC-614C13AA62B0.jpeg

Attachments

• 3EF7F695-DCEF-4917-AF4F-9AB4972B1FF1.jpeg
    3EF7F695-DCEF-4917-AF4F-9AB4972B1FF1.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 13

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I predict a huge wave of female millennial voters in 2020. I believe these abortion laws will bite these lawmakers in the ass.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking about this - if an embryo outside the womb is, apparently, not a baby, and is therefore fair game for destruction in the twisted logic here, does that mean a woman can ask for an embryo to be removed from her womb and placed into a laboratory environment, so she is no longer pregnant and said embryo apparently is no longer a baby, so she couldn't be prosecuted for abortion?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results